I'm just about ready to order my materials to make a Hungry Howie down quilt. But first I have a couple of questions...
  1. How do you determine how much (by weight I guess) down to place in each baffle? Just a simple (LxWxH)/fillweight forumula? So, a baffle 50"x7"x2.5" using 800 fill would need (875/800=1.09oz). How do I weigh 1.09 oz of down?
  2. What about loft height for a 32F bag? I see 2" for an Arc-Ghost, 2" on thru-hiker's site, 2.75" on Howie's own site, 2" from Western Mountaineering and 2" from Feathered Friends. Seem like the consenus is 2", but Howie recomends 2.75" (which is a 15F-20F bag from some manufactures). What is even more strange is that thru-hiker and Howie's site don't match.
  3. When I cut the baffle material I need to add 1" or 2" of seam allowance? So a 2.5" baffle would need a 3.5" or 4.5" piece of no-see-um netting? How is the netting sewn to the inner/outer layers? Just a simple stitch or do you double layer (fold over) the netting before sewing it to the ripstop?
  4. Being a UL geek I was thinking of going with 0.8 oz ripstop over the 1.1 ripstop. Any concerns? Besides thru-hiker is there another source I haven't been able to find one. Though I'll probably end up buyng from ACYE as he has already helped me with a couple of issues.
I've made hard copies of AYCE's, Howie's and Risk's instructions. As they all seem to give slightly different details.