WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

Default Mac & Cheese - How?

i have heard people say that mac & cheese is great for the A.T. but i wouldn't have butter or milk on the trail, so i don't know if there is an instant mac & cheese product or something. anyone have more info?
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Powdered Milk works great and many hikers carry it.

And a lot of folks skip butter, or they carry Butter Flakes (look in the spice section of your market) or maybe they carry squeeze butter. A small plastic bottle of olive oil also works in place of butter.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Easy mac and cheese recipe. There ya have it.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

You can carry butter with you...and powdered milk

Butter will stay good for a while unrefrigerated.

Can also substitute olive oil for the butter. Or skip it.

Images

I get those little packs of Kraft micor-wave mac N cheese. They don't need to be simmered for 5-7 minutes. Also, throw in dehydrated veggies, dried minced onions, salsa, etc. to jazz it up. If you wnt to further embellish, add a single serve foil pack of tuna or spam or salmon...whatever you wish....yum!

Images

oh, DUH! WHy didn't i think of that, living on whiteblaze must've altered my mind somehow.
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Sincerely,
    The Government

I skip the milk and butter when making mac n cheese in the backcountry... ButterBuds or Molly Mcbutter (powdered butter - found by the popcorn or spice aisle) and powdered milk could be used...

I like adding veggies (kale!!) and a pouch of tuna or salmon to mine.

You can completely skip the butter. Still taste good! And instead of powdered milk (which I don't EVER have on hand ) I just use regular coffee creamer.

You can save time and fuel by using cous-cous for pasta, Squeeze-Parkay, and Southeastern cheddar cheese sauce mix which I buy locally at about $1.20 a package. One package is good for at least 2 meals and it tastes good.

I always use those little "Kraft Easy Mac N Cheese" they come in little plastic containers. Before leaving the house I dump the contents into little zip locks to transport. In camp, I'd use a good stainless steel pot and boil water and cook the noodles till tender, then dump in the sauce....If memory serves correctly, I only cooked the noodles in whatever amount of water the package called for. I don't need milk or butter. It tasted great by itself. I'd also add a pouch of tuna or something for added protein. Tastes great on the trail!

Quote Originally Posted by ShoelessWanderer View Post
    I just use regular coffee creamer.
    Super creamy that way......
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Easy Mac! I lived on the stuff. Very easy to make and easy on fuel. I would bring my water to a boil, cut off the gas and cover. The pasta was ready in 5 min or so, then you just add the cheese mix. Good stuff!
    - AT: Springer to Daleville (714.3 miles) in 2007
    - Bibbulmun Track: End-to-End (600 miles) in 2008

Images

I have changed my name from Max2mus to David@whiteblaze, so if you randomly decide to shoot me a pm, i wont get it as Max2mus.
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

Quote Originally Posted by ShoelessWanderer View Post
    You can completely skip the butter. Still taste good! And instead of powdered milk (which I don't EVER have on hand ) I just use regular coffee creamer.
    Squeeze Parkay is a good way to get in a few more calories.

Journal Entries
    Images

Like Hooch shows on his link, the deluxe mac and cheese include the dairy products. makes it real easy.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dicentra View Post
    I skip the milk and butter when making mac n cheese in the backcountry... ButterBuds or Molly Mcbutter (powdered butter - found by the popcorn or spice aisle) and powdered milk could be used...

I like adding veggies (kale!!) and a pouch of tuna or salmon to mine.
    My quote from a previous post: My youngest son and I experimented outside tonight using generic macaroni and cheese and it turned out well. We each boiled 2 cups of water which is what we usually do for meals. I used a Fancee Feast stove and Ben used an esbit stove (he's only 7 so I figure it's safest). After reaching boiling, 13 minutes FF and 17 minutes esbit, we added half of the dry noodles to each pot, about 3/4 cup each. Each stove continued to boil another 7 minutes, which is what is recommended on the box. I then drained off a total of 2 cups of hot water, added 8 sporkfuls of Nido to the water to reconstitute milk (a heaping sporkful is about a tablespoon), and poured 1/8 cup of milk back into each pot. To each pot I then added 1/2 pack of the cheese mixture (4 level sporkfuls each) and 2 sporkfuls of Butter Buds. Stirred and ate. As a bonus, I added 4 sporkfuls of Nestle's chocolate powder to the rest of the Nido milk and had hot chocolate. Sounds like it could be gross, but there was no pasta taste.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

++ New Posts ++