WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

The tops are made of the same sort of neoprene stuff that scuba boots are made of. Some models cover a good bit of the tops of your feet and other models barely cover the tops. The soles are made of fairly stiff, but thin, black rubber. They probably would make good climbing shoes, although not very durable ones.

They are great for runners, but you have to be pretty hardcore. I coach a few athletes who swear by them because it forces them to run up on the balls of their feet

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac_in View Post
    Those things are just plain stupid.
    Actually, they're just plain smart:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/07/barefoot/

Man was NEVER meant to walk with a big chunk of rubber under the heel of their foot. These five fingers shoes make perfect sense.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    Man was NEVER meant to walk with a big chunk of rubber under the heel of their foot.
    Since most of us grew up that way it isn't possible to just switch over to no support, especially while hiking.

I agree that growing children should spend as much time barefoot as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by summermike View Post
    Since most of us grew up that way it isn't possible to just switch over to no support, especially while hiking.

I agree that growing children should spend as much time barefoot as possible.
    Of course it's possible, unless your family was into Japanese foot binding. You simply build strength in your feet over a month or two. Shoes only need arc support because that's the foot's natural shape (for most) - so arc support is really just about ergonomic fit. It isn't actually needed for support. Same thing with healthy ankles. Once the muscles and tendons are strengthened, it's enough to support the joint.

Pretty sure it was the Chinese who used to bind female childrens feet. Not the Japanese.

Yep...Thanks Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_binding

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luxury Bullseye View Post
    Of course it's possible,
    The alignment in my ankles, knees and hips disagree with you. It's not just about your feet.

They're creepy looking. Can't see that they'd provide enough support or protection.

The PA rocks would shred them.

Quote Originally Posted by spindle View Post
    The PA rocks would shred them.
    Vibram is tough stuff. It's what they use on some of the best boots.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luxury Bullseye View Post
    Vibram is tough stuff. It's what they use on some of the best boots.
    and PA rocks would shred them.
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

The thickest part of the sole is only about 1/4 inch thick and it has virtually no effective tread pattern.....it's a river shoe.

ultrarunner, long distance hiker, AT enthusiast

I've used these for boating, hiking, running, around town, etc. I wouldn't go backpacking with them, but I've done quite a few runs in them (up to 10 miles on some pretty rocky trails). They are comfortable and make you feel "free". They are also very durable.

Calling these shoes "stupid" is simply close-minded! Y'all should give em a try.
    Check out my blog: greggoodson.com
    Friend me on Facebook: facebook.com/greggoodson
    Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/greggoodson

I did a 16 mile loop in Talladega NF with the KSOs, including a few miles downhill over rocks and stuff. Granted I have perfect feet and never ever get blisters.
    I tend to hike slightly faster with them, and I always find myself looking down at the ground in front instead of enjoying whats around me. Otherwise the feeling of the earth beneath your feet is fantastic.. in a sort of weird spiritual metaphysical kinda way.

BTW the looks from others are priceless.

I was talking to the track coaches here in the athletic department and they love them. There's also quite a bit of research showing that using a minimum amount of cushioning will almost instantly correct your form and can reverse years of foot, ankle and leg issues. They do look weird though.
    - AT: Springer to Daleville (714.3 miles) in 2007
    - Bibbulmun Track: End-to-End (600 miles) in 2008

I hiked a section from Woody Gap to Neels Gap in them while it was raining
    my feet and legs never felt better and traction was excellent on the rocks but I only carried a 18 lbs pack
    Very weird looking though

I think a company called Injinji makes socks that have the 5 toes just like these shoes. I wonder what they'd be like with the comparable socks.

I'm buying a pair of these on Monday, sort of a field test for my Katahdin summit next week!
    Not all those who wander are lost.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Co View Post
    I hiked a section from Woody Gap to Neels Gap in them while it was raining
    my feet and legs never felt better and traction was excellent on the rocks but I only carried a 18 lbs pack
    Very weird looking though
    Thanks to all who have responded. It seems that those who have actually tried them have mostly positive things to say, while those who haven't tried them have quite a few good reasons not to.

I guess I will have to try a pair, so I can decide for myself. I will report back.
    Shutterbug

Images

i agree they're great for kayaking. i saw a kid wearing them our last trip out. he liked em for the river.

i wear montrail hardrocks or some vasque's w/ vibram soles (and that vibram sole is at least 3x the thickness of the 5 fingers) that my feet take a beating on along PA's ridgelines. there's many places where you can watch where you place your feet all you want, but you're going to step on sharp rocks. i wouldn't want to wear these carrying any sort of weight along the trail.

they'd be nice for state parks and the like though
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

I just got a pair of the KSO style a few days ago. They're very comfortable. I've kept them on all day and have forgotten that I have them on. I went running in them this morning and all was well. I've even ran down my gravel driveway and the sole, while thin, does an excelent job. Didn't feel much. As for backpacking, I definately wouldn't be carrying much weight but I havn't tried it out yet. I plan on it this next week and I'll let you know how it goes.

And as far as the way they look ... well, the comments from others are worth the comfort in my opinion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++