WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

too much for me! lol jk

when ever i need money for gear, i just sell stuff i own, good because i like to live a simple life

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lndwlkr View Post
    It would be nice to see someones total cost for the whole Hike. If one was willing to do such a thing and keep a record of it. Just the Hike alone from your very 1st step to the last step, not the cost 2 and fro or the cost of gear. I tell myself now not then now to stay out of town other than to resupply and pick up needed maps. I will see how that goes when the time comes. The original idea is to keep the cost low as possible so I can apply the leftover funds to the next walk. Hoping nothing happens before or during this one.
    I itemized my credit card charges after the hike and kept loose track of my cash expenses, and this is what I got, not counting gearing up and travel:

Town food: $700 (eating very well)
    Trail food: $750
    Lodging: $850 (double occupancy)
    Misc: $50

Total for the whole thing, including travel and gearing up, was $3,500. My hike was pretty cheap because I did it pretty fast, in just over 100 days. But I spent a lot more than needed in lodging and town food. I believe a good planning figure is $4000 as mentioned above, with a $1000 contingency fund if possible.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I blew close to $1,000 by Damascus although that included some gear purchases. Next year I hope to continue north out of Damascus with about 4K.

Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lndwlkr View Post
    It would be nice to see someones total cost for the whole Hike. If one was willing to do such a thing and keep a record of it. Just the Hike alone from your very 1st step to the last step, not the cost 2 and fro or the cost of gear. I tell myself now not then now to stay out of town other than to resupply and pick up needed maps. I will see how that goes when the time comes. The original idea is to keep the cost low as possible so I can apply the leftover funds to the next walk. Hoping nothing happens before or during this one.
    If u can w8 4 years, ill try, but u rn't being very specific, do u want: I bought a sandwich at wendys for $10.00 2day, or do u want: 300 blown at restaraunts, 2000 in mail dropped food... etc.?
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Images

everything and time
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Images

How much does a car cost?

It all depends on what you want & how much you have to spend.

Same thing for the hike
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

I saved a lot of money compared to last year (I hiked the PCT in two halves) by not staying in hotels. I camped in the forest nearby or even in vacant lots hidden by trees or boulders instead. I'd much rather spend my money on good food. Remember, a small amount of the food expense doesn't really count because you have to eat anyway.

Best thing to do is to arrive to town around dinner time. Eat a nice dinner, go camp in the forest, return for breakfast and then hit the trail fat and sassy and raring to go. It's almost as good as a zero day.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++