WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gear list critique

I am starting on SOBO in late August. Here is a list of my present gear. The weights of the items were measured on a cooking scale and some were rounded up. Please offer any suggestions that you think I may be missing or that I can do without. Thanks in advance for your help.

Gear list for SOBO (approximate start August 27th)
    Weights were measured on cooking scale. Some measurements rounded up.

Item OZ
    Backpack –Golite Odyssey 58
    Tent- Big Agnes Seedhouse 48
    With footprint and stakes
    Pad- Thermarest full-length 24
    Sleeping Bag- WM Antelope 40
    SB liner- 10
    Stove- Jet Boil 15
    Fuel- 6
    Water Treatment- Aqua Mira 3

Socks x3 9
    Shorts with briefs 5
    Underwear 4
    Long John top and bottom 12
    Under Armor Cold LS shirt 8
    Nike Running tights 6
    Fleece jacket 16
    Fleece vest 12
    Gloves and liner 6
    Cap 3
    Scarf/ bavaclava 3

Rain Jacket- Marmont 12
    Rain pants – TNF 12
    Bandana- 2
    Bag liner- 2
    Bag cover- 7
    Orange hunters vest- 3
    Camera - 7

Misc.. 50
    (Phone-7, phone charger-4, camera charger-3, first aid-2, soap, 1, toothbrush and paste-2, handsanitizer-2, TP- 3, rope-3, foot powder-3, lighter-1, meds-3, headlight-3, book-7, pen-1, paper tablet-3, trowel-3, other misc.-6)

Total base weight= 390 oz.

Images

Default Hi R

hi MM,
    list looks good. you might decide to send a few things home later, but so what. i know you've tested your gear in the cold. trust your own instincts. i really wish you well R and hope to see you on the trail.
    Take Care
    KK
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

You have both a fleece jacket AND vest?
    Long underwear top and bottom, PLUS running tights and UA top?
    All that warmth layer, PLUS a sleeping bag liner?
    Your electronic gear really cannot use the same charger?
    I think I see some places you could cut some weight, just because you have more than one thing doing the same job. It looks to me like you haven't shaken down your gear needs down quite enough, but a base pack weight of 24 1/2 lb. is certainly a good start, considering how much of your hike is likely to be in non-summer conditions. I suspect you will need an insulating jacket by October, and I don't think the fleece will cut it for you - but YMMV.

Good Luck on your hike.

Ranc0r

Quote Originally Posted by marathon_man View Post
    I am starting on SOBO in late August. Here is a list of my present gear. The weights of the items were measured on a cooking scale and some were rounded up. Please offer any suggestions that you think I may be missing or that I can do without. Thanks in advance for your help.

Gear list for SOBO (approximate start August 27th)
    Weights were measured on cooking scale. Some measurements rounded up.

Item OZ
    Backpack –Golite Odyssey 58
    Tent- Big Agnes Seedhouse 48
    With footprint and stakes
    Pad- Thermarest full-length 24
    Sleeping Bag- WM Antelope 40
    SB liner- 10
    Stove- Jet Boil 15
    Fuel- 6
    Water Treatment- Aqua Mira 3

Socks x3 9
    Shorts with briefs 5
    Underwear 4
    Nike Running tights 6
    Fleece jacket 16
    Fleece vest 12
    Gloves and liner 6
    Cap 3
    Scarf/ bavaclava 3

Rain Jacket- Marmont 12
    Rain pants – TNF 12
    Bandana- 2
    Bag liner- 2
    Bag cover- 7
    Orange hunters vest- 3
    Camera - 7

Misc.. 50
    (Phone-7, phone charger-4, camera charger-3, first aid-2, soap, 1, toothbrush and paste-2, handsanitizer-2, TP- 3, rope-3, foot powder-3, lighter-1, meds-3, headlight-3, book-7, pen-1, paper tablet-3, trowel-3, other misc.-6)

Total base weight= 390 oz.
    it's all good. go for a walk. you'll figure it out for yourself.

Images

You might have more warm stuff than you need for the start (until the white mts), but if we continue to have wet weather in New England keep it all. In the White mts you might need it all.
    Do you have enough experience to know how fast you'll be going in miles/day?
    It's 441 miles to Hanover, nh and 773 miles to the CT/NY border.
    At 20 miles/day, that gets you to:
    Hanover Sept. 18 (i.e., thru the White mts.)
    CT/NY Oct 5 ( Not winter there by then)
    If you go a bit slower, 15 miles/day:
    Hanover: Sept 25
    CT/NY: Oct. 17.
    I'd say get through the hardest parts of the Whites by about Oct. 1 and you're golden. Actually, this schedule sounds really tempting. New England in October is glorious in an average year. This year has been very wet, but who knows what it'll be like in a month.

Your sleeping bag is down, keep it dry. With a 5 degree bag you shouldn't need a 10 oz liner till late in the season (if then).

Nike Running tights 6
    You could drop one top and one bottom from this list.

I agree with Ranc0r, an insulated top will give more warmth with less weight than the fleeces. Synthetics like primaloft would be better than down for New England, especially if the weather stays wet.

Have a great time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ranc0r View Post
    I suspect you will need an insulating jacket by October, and I don't think the fleece will cut it for you - but YMMV..
    im hiking in about the same time frame. what insulated jacket would you recommend. i never owned one.

KK

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    im hiking in about the same time frame. what insulated jacket would you recommend. i never owned one.

KK

I have the Mens montbell synthetic one. Or maybe their down jacket. Nice stuff.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Hello again,

Thanks for the suggestions that have been sent so far. I was trying to get by with as much stuff that I already had and limit stuff being sent to me. But I see from the suggestions where I can make some changes. And drop a few things. Thanks again.

RancOr, I am not able to use the same charger for the camera and phone. Great idea. Guess I can't complain too much about that since the camera takes really good pics. (or maybe it's the photographer).

Images

I have an Antelope. It's good down to mid-single-digits for me. So I would not take a sleeping bag liner to start, and would have it sent later when temps got cold enough to need it. Really nice bag, though.

My fleece jacket and vest were replaced long ago with a variety of down and synthetic pieces. I'd probably take my Micropuff pullover, or my down sweater to start. About 12 ounces instead of 28 (total) for the two fleece pieces, and probably warmer. But if you like the fleece, take it.

Later on I would carry two pairs of gloves and two hats, one set for hiking and a warmer set for camp/sleeping.

Have a great hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I happen to like the synthetic micropuff jackets, as I'm bad about keeping outer layers dry and down clumps IME. I have one I got from steepandcheap.com for under $100, very large name brand, discontinued color, weighs in a 14 oz. and packs down to gear-pocket size. Just make sure it works with your other layers, i.e. you can wear layers under it and your shell layer will cover it.

Ranc0r

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it's all good. go for a walk. you'll figure it out for yourself.
    Absolutely, but ditch the tent footprint.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Absolutely, but ditch the tent footprint.
    why? hes going to be on mud, ice and snow. it gets messy out there.

Anyone have any experience using an army field jacket liner inside a rain jacket? I've used them before but only for short trips and primarily in the southeast. How would this combination work as compared to a Montbell Thermawrap or Patagonia Micropuff?

Images

Default army field jacket liner.

Anyone have any experience using an army field jacket liner inside a rain jacket? I've used them before but only for short trips and primarily in the southeast. How would this combination work as compared to a Montbell Thermawrap or Patagonia Micropuff?
    I doubt 'army field jacket liner inside a rain jacket' would work as well as a Micropuff, but for the price difference, so what. Sgt Rock uses that and the pants liner in winter: http://hikinghq.net/gear/clothing4.html
    I remember Rock having more detailed directions for modifying it but I can't find it now.

Rain Jacket: sometimes it's a lot nicer to have a really breathable with DWR jacket than a Goretex type. This is something you'll have to try out in cold weather. The $150 insulating jackets probably have a nicer outer fabric.

If you get one, be careful what they're charging you for shipping; some of the places that carry it are outrageous on shipping.

Images

I'm glad you asked that because I was just in a gear store yesterday looking for a good winter puff jacket. I found the most amazing down puff jacket- it felt perfect, was incredibly light, basically, it was perfect. Then I saw the price tag- $290. Needless to say, the medics revived me and I am alive to tell the tale, but I need to find a less expensive way to go.

If the GoLite Odyssey has the same fabric and zippers as the Quest, you could probably drop the pack cover and just use the liner, as the fabric is pretty water resistant. If you are hiking in much rain the pack will get wet from capillary action from the back anyway, so the pack cover may not be worth the weight.

Might want to reconsider the Seedhouse - if I recall correctly, it's not great for rainy weather since it has no vestibule and the slant of the door allows rain to drop straight in when it's opened.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Guess I can't complain too much about that since the camera takes really good pics. (or maybe it's the photographer).
    It's always the photographer.

I mean I have a cheapo digital camera (Samsung 630 that runs on batteries) and took the pic on my avatar this summer....
    Used it on the trail in '07 also.
    But I should look for something else. I love pictures of scenery.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I would add:
    map, compass, guidebook and something to carry water in.

Panzer

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I'm excited about the hike and the opportunity to meet other hikers and enjoying the great outdoors. Again, thanks for all the help.

Images

Not so fast here folks. I just did a quick look, and none of the NH hikers have signed off on this list yet...

They are, after all, the only qualified judge of hiker's prep.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++