WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    As in "dessert" not "desert"

It's 441 miles to Hanover, nh and 773 miles to the CT/NY border.
    At 20 miles/day, that gets you to:

Unless you are in supremely good physical condition, you will not make 20 miles per day through Maine. Especially if the wet weather continues.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dessertrat View Post
    It's 441 miles to Hanover, nh and 773 miles to the CT/NY border.
    At 20 miles/day, that gets you to:

Unless you are in supremely good physical condition, you will not make 20 miles per day through Maine. Especially if the wet weather continues.
    Yes, I forgot to suggest the inflatable kayak for the damper parts of the trail.
    Is a flotation device recommended for the mud puddles?

Well it does not matter what is on your list if you run into any troubles in NH you might get stuck with a hefty bill for your SAR...
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Images

Yeah- who'd have thought that hiking the trail would put you in debt?

I agree that 20/day to Hanover is unlikely. It took me forty-three days to get to Hanover, which from what I could tell from the people who started around the same time as me was definitely on the slow side for that section of the trail. Had I done things the right way (or take that as the "smart" way :-) ) I believe I could have shaved a little less than a week of time off that, maybe more if I pushed it. Then again, that would assume not being fresh and stupid, and let's face it, isn't half the fun being able to make stupid mistakes and adjust to and learn from them over time? (In retrospect, if perhaps not necessarily to a meaningful degree at the time. ;-) I still enjoyed myself, if perhaps not quite to as great a degree as I wanted.)

Since no one else has mentioned it I'll throw in the idea of getting a good set of hiking poles. I hiked without any until I bought a pair in Gorham, and I believe the $140 I spent on poles there was the best $140 I spent on the entire trip. I have been told that I should consider it a point of pride to have hiked the entire Maine section without any. Perhaps that's true, and if I have a receptive audience I'd certainly toot that horn, but I can make pointless goals for myself quite well without needing to restrict the type of gear I carry. :-D If you're anything like me, you'll appreciate the poles for their ability to let you descend the Maine mountains at any sort of reasonable speed without having to scramble all the time. Also, for a trip this long, I wouldn't (and didn't) skimp. At seven cents a mile, not to mention being able to use them far beyond that as well, it's well worth it compared to the usual prospective buyer using them for weekend-hiking or perhaps once-a-year week-long hiking but not racking up the mileage to make them a slam dunk.

your gear list looks about right on . you gotta go with what you got right . I cant really say anything that has'nt already been said in this post - i mean ahh - lose a bottom for sure ( the tights), perhaps your shorts double as underwear , lose that . with the thermals you prob wont need the sleeping bag liner . fleece jacket and vest could be upgraded to a down or synth. jacket for more warmth/half the weight . and ditch the pack cover - wrap your rainfly or a garbage bag around your pack if its really pourin and your worried . - i think all that would shave about 2 maybe 3 pounds . - mind you though I would keep this stuff in a bounce box . Its up to you and you know what you what you really need with you -
    - your wants - if it makes for a more enjoyable time - bring 'em .
    And the army jacket liner i wore underneath a shell for many trips - you cant beat em for the price .
    I'll be puttin my gear list up on here for the ol' critique as well in a few days ( I'll be about a month later start than you ) but maybe it could help .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by marathon_man View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I'm excited about the hike and the opportunity to meet other hikers and enjoying the great outdoors. Again, thanks for all the help.
    i decided to bounce some of my stuff to monson. im mailing the drop before i leave, it will help with carrying extra food.
    See ya on the trail.
    KK
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

does anyone know it Marathon Man left on hike, how far he is or does he have a journal.
    THANKS
    KK
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++