WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    a lot of folks at the ATC don't hike
    A lot of ATC folks have never spent a night in a shelter with an untrained and wet dog.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Although I must say, I think it is alright to have your dog carry his own food, maybe even some of his own water. They're very capable creatures who like to feel useful.
    I RESPECT YOUR OPIONION,AND ALOT OF DOGS CAN AND DO ENJOY WEARING A PACK! BUT imo YOU NEVER LOAD WATER ON A DOG! YOU CANT SECURE THE WATER BOTTLES PROPERLY IN A DOG PACK WITHOUT THE WATER SWAYING BACK AND FORTH. IN A HUMAN PACK THE WATER BOTTLE OR PLATTY IS USUALLY SECURE AND UPRIGHT. I SEE THE WATER IN THE DOG PACK ROLLING AROUND OR SWAYING INSIDE THE BOTTLE AND CAN AND PROBABLY WILL THROW THE DOG OFF BALANCE?. HOW MUCH WATER WE TALKING ABOUT?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Seems Odd that the ATC would take such a position.

You would think it against heath regs. In addition to sleeping in shelters, people cook in there!

But that's the ATC's position. Got to respect it (or at least recognize it).
    I don't believe anything in a shelter meets health regs.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Downunda View Post
    All dog owners that I came across on the AT who took their dogs into shelters did so without asking if others objected.

I reckon if dogs had any say in it they wouldn't opt for a thru hike... it's the dog owners who seem to get a buzz out of making their dogs hike with them.
    If a dog had any say, it would usually want to be with its master. My dog hates to be left behind. Dogs are strong, agile and athletic. A thru hike is nothing to a fit dog.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Health regs.... ha, dogs are cleaner then any of us smelly ass hikers. Better manners 98% of the time also.

But anyways..... I let my dog carry his days worth of food and snacks. Light jacket and his water bowl (small ones that cost a dollar from wally world). Usually less then 3 pounds. I like having the pack on for control and it helps protect him from rock cuts as he runs around rocks and climbs them.

It depends on the dog also. Erwin - who I adopted on my thru last year, loves to hike and be active all the time. He will do 20 miles days and still want to keep going.

My other dog, Hudson, likes to hike but only for around 8 - 10 miles a day and only for 2 - 3 days at a time. He likes to get worn out enough to be ready for a long night of tv watching by my feet !

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    I RESPECT YOUR OPIONION,AND ALOT OF DOGS CAN AND DO ENJOY WEARING A PACK! BUT imo YOU NEVER LOAD WATER ON A DOG! YOU CANT SECURE THE WATER BOTTLES PROPERLY IN A DOG PACK WITHOUT THE WATER SWAYING BACK AND FORTH. IN A HUMAN PACK THE WATER BOTTLE OR PLATTY IS USUALLY SECURE AND UPRIGHT. I SEE THE WATER IN THE DOG PACK ROLLING AROUND OR SWAYING INSIDE THE BOTTLE AND CAN AND PROBABLY WILL THROW THE DOG OFF BALANCE?. HOW MUCH WATER WE TALKING ABOUT?
    As I said in the line you quoted, maybe SOME of his water.

PS- It gets really hard to read when you capitalize everything (just to let you know).

Images

hikers dream of hiking all day, dogs dream of sleeping all day.

Panzer

As I said in the line you quoted, maybe SOME of his water.

PS- It gets really hard to read when you capitalize everything (just to let you know).
    thankyou sorry i didn't capitalize on purpose! im not a putor person at all. the less water you put in the containers would make it swish around and sway even more maybe?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    thankyou sorry i didn't capitalize on purpose! im not a putor person at all. the less water you put in the containers would make it swish around and sway even more maybe?
    I understand- I never used to be a computor person either. And let me say, I have only hiked with a dog a couple times, and I am nothing near an expert (though I know a bunch of other dog people who hike with their dogs). But I've found that putting one or two full small poland spring bottles works fine. Since they're full, it doesn't slosh around (of course, I still end up carrying more than half of his water). And since it was only a couple days, he didn't carry much food.

I understand- I never used to be a computor person either. And let me say, I have only hiked with a dog a couple times, and I am nothing near an expert (though I know a bunch of other dog people who hike with their dogs). But I've found that putting one or two full small poland spring bottles works fine. Since they're full, it doesn't slosh around (of course, I still end up carrying more than half of his water). And since it was only a couple days, he didn't carry much food.
    cool

Default Ready set Wait....

You can tell when your dog is ready for a long hike about as accurately as that of another hiker. Heck, about as good as yourself.
    Assuming "ready" means physically and mentally ready. I'd say they were "ready" for a long hike just after they finished one.

Let us all remember a few basic facts on what the AT is about as well as what any trail is about.

- WE are the visitors to the only area man has left to the wild. WE blazed a trail through the animal's territory. In my view, my dog has more right to be there than I do. My dog doesn't leave non-biodegradable garbage on the trail. My dog does not burn down forests or shelters or leave unsightly black fire rings behind, my dog doesn't carve his name into trees, shelters, etc.

- My DOG is the health concern in the shelters? You're kidding, right?

- To the poster who commented on ticks, fleas, etc. News flash- THEY'RE ALREADY THERE- it's the DEER tick that causes the problem. Should we kick the deer out, too? Spiders, snakes, skunks, bears?

I just think it's a bit ignorant and selfish to take the position that my dog doesn't belong. I have a very well behaved golden retiever, he doesn't howl, bark, eat other's food, pee on anyone's stuff and obeys my every command. I understand that he may be more the exception, and when all is said and done, if someone has a problem with him being in the shelter, then speak up. I know the "rules" and we will camp outdoors. WE didn't create the wilderness, we just wore down a path to walk through it.

Bottom line is lighten up, speak up, or shut up.

dogs do not belong in shelters. a considerate owner knows this and always camps out

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    dogs do not belong in shelters. a considerate owner knows this and always camps out
    Yup, I agree. I was just hiking in the White Mountains including a loop going north out of Gorham. Pat and I met two thru hikers with dogs. They were great people with great dogs. One of the dogs was being picked up by the woman's husband in Gorham. It was a beautifully trained dog that missed it's master so bad. The woman was sending her dog home simply because it was easier to send the dog home from Gorham than wait until Baxter.

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    If someone asks you if its ok to bring a dog into a shelter and you don't speak up on how you really feel, then you have no right to b*tch about it. I've had people ask me in camp if its ok for them to smoke a cigarette. I always tell them no, I'm not a smoker nor do I care to be around it. I don't care if it makes me look like a bad person or whatever. At least I have the balls to stand up for how I feel on the trail and not just complain about it on the internet.
    That is EXACTLY what I was going to say. I know that my dog behaves better than several people I have meet on the trail. I by no means want to upset anyone with my dog but unless they tell me that my dog bothers them I cant really know how they feel. I love my dog with all my heart but there is no way I would let him make someone uncomfartable...

quote by: billymets71

Let us all remember a few basic facts on what the AT is about as well as what any trail is about.

- WE are the visitors to the only area man has left to the wild. WE blazed a trail through the animal's territory. In my view, my dog has more right to be there than I do. My dog doesn't leave non-biodegradable garbage on the trail. My dog does not burn down forests or shelters or leave unsightly black fire rings behind, my dog doesn't carve his name into trees, shelters, etc.

- My DOG is the health concern in the shelters? You're kidding, right?

- To the poster who commented on ticks, fleas, etc. News flash- THEY'RE ALREADY THERE- it's the DEER tick that causes the problem. Should we kick the deer out, too? Spiders, snakes, skunks, bears?

I just think it's a bit ignorant and selfish to take the position that my dog doesn't belong. I have a very well behaved golden retiever, he doesn't howl, bark, eat other's food, pee on anyone's stuff and obeys my every command. I understand that he may be more the exception, and when all is said and done, if someone has a problem with him being in the shelter, then speak up. I know the "rules" and we will camp outdoors. WE didn't create the wilderness, we just wore down a path to walk through it.

Bottom line is lighten up, speak up, or shut up.
    __________________________________________________ ____________

WOW! That is the EXACT same way I was feeling. I have a wonderful Golden Retriever too and he is PERFECT. I have never had anyone complain about him but I also keep him away from people in the shelter just to make sure he doesnt bother anyone. Just because we are animal lovers it doesnt mean everyone else is and we have to respect their feelings. I just can't imagine not loving dogs.

Images

Worst Article Ever: why not have someone who has actually hiked with a dog to write the article on dogs, not someone who is very negative about dogs!!!!!
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

i do believe jack has hiked with dogs before, or at least around them enough to know what pisses him off about them. unless they're wrapped in a bun with mustard and relish. chased with bourbon of course.

Journal Entries
    Images

i do not think dogs belong in shelters at all. if i ever do a long distance hike again and i take my dog with me we will camp far away from others unless we are invited to be near but we are still going to erect a tent and have our own space......

my dog is teaching me right now that this house is her domain and she means to protect it and its inhabitants. so with that message it is very clear to me that she, like other dogs, demand their own space....

so i would almost bet that sleeping in a shelter for a dog would be a bit uncomfortable with strangers around........even though they may come across as it is okay with them it may not be......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post
    so i would almost bet that sleeping in a shelter for a dog would be a bit uncomfortable with strangers around........even though they may come across as it is okay with them it may not be......
    you would almost bet??? so you've never slept in a shelter with a dog? but you've slept in shelters with mice and rats...
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++