WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

I avoided shelters after they started to put them up. I snore, smoke, love dogs, and usually konk out anyway.

Default Sometimes the dog may call it a day before you do

In an earlier post someone made a comment that you should be prepared to carry your dog out if there is a problem.

A few years back I was on a day hike on Mt Lafayette in the White Mountains and encountered a couple with a dog that just sat down and refused to move. It was a very large German Shepperd, 90+ lbs, and nothing the couple did could convince the dog to move. There wasn't anything wrong with the dog, he was just "done" for the day. It was real late in the day and the dog had already completed the climb to the summit and made it half way down and was not going to move no matter what anyone said or did.

The real problem was it was about one hour from sunset and it was going to take at least that long to get off the trail. There were a lot of people on the trail giving advice but in the end everyone really had to get off the mountain before it got dark. The way it ended up playing out was the husband hiked/ran down the mountain by himself leaving the wife with the dog. The rangers then hiked up the mountain, in the dark, to "rescue" the wife and dog. I didn't stick around for the ending but I suspect that by the time the rangers got to the woman and the dog he was probably ready to complete the trip on his own.

I didn't hear the conversation between the husband and the rangers before they decided to go up the trail in the dark but I know they were NOT happy about the situation and I suspect that if the wife hadn't stayed with the dog there would not have been a "rescue" that night.

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    In an earlier post someone made a comment that you should be prepared to carry your dog out if there is a problem.

A few years back I was on a day hike on Mt Lafayette in the White Mountains and encountered a couple with a dog that just sat down and refused to move. It was a very large German Shepperd, 90+ lbs, and nothing the couple did could convince the dog to move. There wasn't anything wrong with the dog, he was just "done" for the day. It was real late in the day and the dog had already completed the climb to the summit and made it half way down and was not going to move no matter what anyone said or did.

The real problem was it was about one hour from sunset and it was going to take at least that long to get off the trail. There were a lot of people on the trail giving advice but in the end everyone really had to get off the mountain before it got dark. The way it ended up playing out was the husband hiked/ran down the mountain by himself leaving the wife with the dog. The rangers then hiked up the mountain, in the dark, to "rescue" the wife and dog. I didn't stick around for the ending but I suspect that by the time the rangers got to the woman and the dog he was probably ready to complete the trip on his own.

I didn't hear the conversation between the husband and the rangers before they decided to go up the trail in the dark but I know they were NOT happy about the situation and I suspect that if the wife hadn't stayed with the dog there would not have been a "rescue" that night.
    great story, welcome to WB :-)
    i have had a couple different vets tell me a dog might even fake an injury to not keep walkin'

Up here ak ed dogs have been known 2 just stop in a race when thy r tired mushrs just have 2 stop 2 cuz there is no way the dog team is movg until thy r restd unlike humans thy r very honest and when thy r done. Thy r done.I wish most fol wouldn't take their dogs 4 the dogs sake I have seen wayyyy 2 much creepy stuff

Actually dogs are historically pack animals... I am willing to do ALL those things; and forego those things... not because i have a dog.... but because i'll have my best ****ing friend with me wherever i go.. 95%(at least) that's just stupid.. i'd go with 75% are not ready... the trail has a way of working things out for the better... i noticed on the trail that a lot of people were anti-dog even though the dog in question never bothered anyone.. That's bull****... never judge a dog or a person until their actions have spoken... Shelters suck, except in rainy weather anyway.... and even then i noticed it's more comfortable under them than in them... Who wants to sleep along side a bunch of stinky, snoring, smoking hikers.. No one ever; not once, asked if it was ok to smoke cigarettes in a shelter.. Bottom line is ... get your dog ready as you can... have control over them... don't let them bother others, or **** on the trail.. Heed the advice of these Grey beards... but remember most of them are fat, over-opinionated, drunk, and probably haven't hiked the trail in over 10 years... bottom line is.. take steps so that you and your dog are ready... Never-mind the Trolls...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HolySmoke! View Post
    remember most of them are fat, over-opinionated, drunk...
    Your point?
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

@HolySmoke!, You bring a great equalizer to the Conversation, great job! Although viscous, it sent the message.

If I may say, being a HUGE dog-lover. I (and many, Many others.) almost always have my dog with me, regardless of what I or my dog are up too. We're attached to each other, and I don't want to be segregated by my fellow hikers, however I do want to be respected, And with the cost of that Respect is Knowing yourself as a dog-owner and knowing your Canine Companion. Are Dogs suppose to work this hard? YESSSSSS! with the exception of your smaller canids, it wasn't until 200 years ago that we started to keep them as nothing more than household companions. Take as food for thought to the Other 14,800 years that we've been utilizing Dogs: Rottweilers were bred specifically to herd large amounts of cattle over extreme distances, German shepherds and Border collies were (and Still are.) renown for their seemingly endless energy and exuberance, and Don't forget that Merriwether Lewis, The original American discovery trail thru-hiker (don't correct me on that, I'll just deny it.) had a Newfoundland named Seaman, who accompanied Him and William Clark All the through the Expedition AND back. yes dogs have the ability to be great hikers just like people.

But should they all be? given the story of the Shepherd that just decided that he had enough hiking that day as evidence, of course not all dogs are built for it. they're each individually unique just like the rest of us. So Know your dog and most Importantly Know Yourself as a Dog-owner, and have your canine companion thoroughly trained to be a polite and courteous hiker.

We owe it to each other to have the best time possible out in nature's indescribable glory. and If anyone here needs any tips on how to train your dog to be a polite hiker than I am Never Too busy to help out a fellow Hiker. I am a dog training instructor and obvious lover with quite a bit of experience under his belt.

Now if I may speak on behalf oh those who's rather not hike with a dog. It really sucks when you're feeling that magical moment where you could swear nature herself is trying to speak with you and then in an instant it's gone, and you are then overwhelmed by a hairy, smelly, slobbery beast. I get it, I've been there, it really kills the experience. we give up so much (job, wife, life, etc.) just be one with ourselves and nature so is a little respect so much to ask for? we don't don't want to be the bad guy because we are in a matter of speaking a community, well I care about my community and if you don't want my shepherd dog harshing your experience that is just fine by me and I think All the dog hikers out there feel the same way. We know want we signed for when getting a dog.

Again we OWE it to each other to respect one another. the greatest experiences with human benevolence are out there on the trail so lets keep the love going how about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Elwood View Post
    We owe it to each other to have the best time possible out in nature's indescribable glory. and If anyone here needs any tips on how to train your dog to be a polite hiker than I am Never Too busy to help out a fellow Hiker. I am a dog training instructor and obvious lover with quite a bit of experience under his belt.

I'll admit that I am a huge dog lover. When backpacking was a more routine part of my weekly life, my most stead-fast hiking buddy was my Britany. She absolutely LOVED to hike ... you would swear that every foot of trail she smelled or explored was her territory. In her mind she was Queen of everything. The bad side was she didn't always greet people well. It was different for everybody. That lead me to only taking her on remote trips where there were few people. She always stayed on the leash and had to be properly introduced to anybody that showed interest. I would always keep myself between her and other hikers unless they wanted to introduce themselves. Because she was high-strung, I did not share camp sites when I took my lil' buddy with me.

I was thinking about getting another high-endurance breed for a future thru-hike. I changed my mind to "no" a couple weeks ago. Many of the reasons why have been eloquently outlined by some of the posters here. However, I did think heavily on the subject and I decided a couple of things:

1. AKC has a 'Canine Good Citizen' test. I would only allow a trail dog to hike if they passed that test and I kept up with the training. I quoted Ken because it made me think about my thoughts on training and why I chose not to bring a dog.
    2. I would not stay in Shelters if the dog was present. It may make finding a cushy bed and a hot shower more challenging.

I'm still not adverse to pooches on the trail. I simply believe that when I hike the AT, it will be a time of self-transition. How can you meet people, explore the green tunnel, and remain on guard to ensure your companion is well-behaved all the time? So, I decided no because I felt it would diminish the social and self-searching aspects of that journey.

i couldn't agree more... it's one sided...
    Last edited by HolySmoke!; 10-19-2011 at 00:28.

Images

i have a damn good dog and he's still young even. i've hitch hiked many times with him. got him in texas flea market for dirt change. Was going to put on the streets which are kinda crappy there. I think im hittin the ATfor alonger for either North come spring or head south for next winter. i'm positive my dog is coming, he's my brother and my best friend. i totally respect peoples wishes and everything, i wouldn't ask someone if they care if my dog comes in the shelter because if there is someone there than i ain't going in unless it's real rough outside. but if i arrive at one alone, my dogs getting the bunk with me. and the person who said about the cigarette smokers asking permission and you saying nay, I don't smoke a cigarette too often, my buddies do, it sucks in a car or closed up room but outside? tell the person to be down wind of ya. i'm pretty laid back to things of that nature, but saying no that someone can't smoke a round doesn't make you a badperson either.

Images

Ken Elwood, dogs are a part of nature brother, not a ****zu or any of them kinds of animals but a dog with a pack and gear is old time stuff. when your dog gets on the scent of a rabbit or stops to pee on a stick or rock that stands out that generations of wolf blood or atleast the thinking of an untamed beast even for just a second, dogs can ruin a moment sometimes, but they blend in well with it too and my dog has kept my but safe a few times already or atleast warned me about someone cuz i rarely sleep in houses, oh and wellllllll said HolySmoke! well said
    Last edited by JeremiahTramp; 12-07-2011 at 12:22.

Images

I agree with everything Jack said back on post 14 but also: Is the dog really having fun? Do they drop to the ground and sleep any time you stop. Your dog loves you and will do what ever you ask including walking until he's injured.
    I have had a wet dog run across everyone sleeping bag and a dog ate my bagel. Two problems in over 10,000 miles doesn't seem like much but doesn't count all the barking dogs that were just plain annoying. The young women with "cute" puppies they adopted on the trail were real prizes. I couldn't believe the girl who got a puppy in Hot Springs! I try to just hike away from trail problems but I do wish that fewer people brought dogs. I have had dogs all my life. Luckily most men are too lazy to be bothered having dogs on the trail. The women who do generally tent with them and they get a little companionship and security. Dogs, smokers, loud talkers, stoners, the guy with a radio (do they still make radios?) God, it's a wonder any of us go out there any more.

Images

stay off the trail or away from shelters then bud, whats wrong with smokers, loud talkers or stoners, prejudice, ive been on this site an hour and why is everyone whining, the AT is considered an URBAN TRAIL. DEAL.
    Last edited by JeremiahTramp; 12-07-2011 at 13:25.

I've seriously considered taking my border collie on my thru-hike, but I'm afraid he's too old. He's ten and getting arthritic, so he's gonna stay home. No point in pushing the dog and causing him pain, just because I'm gonna miss him. He's my best pal and I don't want to hurt him.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JeremiahTramp View Post
    stay off the trail or away from shelters then bud, whats wrong with smokers, loud talkers or stoners, prejudice, ive been on this site an hour and why is everyone whining, the AT is considered an URBAN TRAIL. DEAL.
    What's wrong with smokers, stoners, and loud talkers and radio users is that they are selfish, self centered and inconsiderate. If they want to do that THEY should get out of the shelters not the rest of the happy campers. And in fact unless its actually pouring out I do stay out of the shelters to get a way from them and apparently you Jeremiah.

I'm planning a thru hike this spring starting in GA. Coming from MD I have to somehow get myself, gear, and dog to GA without leaving my Jeep in GA. What have some of you done? Can I take my dog on a greyhound bus? Also, what did you use to get home? Are there any cities or parks where dogs are prohibited to hike with me? Any info would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueWriter View Post
    I've seriously considered taking my border collie on my thru-hike, but I'm afraid he's too old. He's ten and getting arthritic, so he's gonna stay home. No point in pushing the dog and causing him pain, just because I'm gonna miss him. He's my best pal and I don't want to hurt him.
    that is the best thing I have read on this site in awhile I wish more people were as unselfish

GA-ME 2011
    Images

This has been an interesting read.

I think that most hikers like dogs or at least don't hate them. But when you're thru-hiking you look at things a little differently. If a dog (or for that matter a dunk hiker, seen that!) pees on you pack that's a problem. If a dog gets into your gear and chews up your food bag, and you're two days from the next town, that's a problem. If a dog bites you when your hours away from medical attention (this almost happened to me in MA) that's a problem. It's tough enough out there without others creating more problems for you.

Along the same lines I like kids, I'm a Scoutmaster and I volunteer to work with kids all the time. I always enjoyed meeting kids on the trail. But when my tent is set up at the end of the day and some kids camping near the shelter are running around it, well I start to worry. If one kid trips over my tent and tears it, well that's a problem. And all these "problems" can be very difficult to deal with when you're hiking and you don't have easy access to a grocery store, or a doctor, or an outfitter. For those of you planning to bring a dog on a thru-hike this year I hope this gives you something to thin about.

I saw several dogs thru-hiking this year early on, I saw none in ME. A vast majority of the dogs were well behaved. I did see owners wanting exceptions to the rules for their dogs. I know of one case where the owner had his dog registered as a service dog just so he could bring him into the Smokys. The owner, by his own admission was not disabled and the service dog registration was bogus.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

i loved rangeley! but i don't live there.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I saw several dogs thru-hiking this year early on, I saw none in ME.
    when did you get to maine, though? people with dogs have to hike slower, so you probably out-hiked those with dogs. including my own, i personally saw 6 dogs from the south in maine around mid-august.
    "i ain't got a dime
    but what i got is mine
    i ain't rich,
    but Lord, i'm free."

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I summited on 9/7.

In looking through the ATC 2011 Harpers Ferry Thru-hiker pictures (359 total including section and thru-hikers) at http://www.flickr.com/photos/atconse...7625887686293/ I see 9 pictures showing 11 thru-hikerss with 12 dogs total. Some pictures show two hikers with one dog, and one, "Girl w/4 dogs" obviously had 4 dogs.

Comparing this list to the folks who registered for the 2,000 Miler Award in 2011 I can find only two names from the HF pictures, "Girl w/4 dogs" and "Duck".

Of course we don't know if the dogs finished since they are not listed in the record.
    It's also possible that not all hikers with dogs had their pictures taken in HF or applied for the 2,000 Miler Award.
    It's also possible that the dogs "stonedflea" describes as being "from the south" were not thru-hikers.
    And as we know getting to Abol Bridge is finishing for a dog since they are not allowed in Baxter S.P.

It would be interesting to find out if "Duck" and "Girl w/4 dogs" finished with their dogs and if there are any others out there we don't know about for 2011. We might be able to determine if hiking with a dog increases or decreases your chances of finishing a thru-hike.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
++ New Posts ++