WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

If you plan to take your dog hiking I think its a good idea to take your dog to the dog park or even downtown several times so that it can be acclimated to strangers. Socializing your dog is essential if you plan on taking it anywhere public like the AT.

It is almost pointless to generalize. Almost.
    It depends so much on the dog, and the owner of the dog.

Many seem reluctant to be classified a "dog hater". I will wear the title as a badge of pride. I don't want to be around your dogs. I know how you talk about how wonderfully behaved "your" dog is and how he is no problem. Yet every time I encounter "your" dog on the trail he charges down acting to protect his owner forcing me to wonder if I'm going to get bit. I've seen lots of dogs crap on the trail but I've never seen an owner clean it up. They p!$$ all over the campsites. They play in the drinking water source. I know you think they are cleaner than filthy hikers, but if you can be honest with yourself for a moment, they all eat $#!t. I don't want them licking me, my stuff, and don't want them anywhere near my food or bedding. How many afternoons have I sat with you and watched your nasty dog licking their unmentionables. I like the parks, trails, camps, and facilities where dogs are banned and hope that they are eventually banned everywhere. I know you're going to tell me about your right to enjoy the outdoors with your beloved dog but I'm more interested in my right to enjoy the outdoors without the misery of tolerating your stinking dog. OK, you can let me have it now...

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nat View Post
    Many seem reluctant to be classified a "dog hater". I will wear the title as a badge of pride. I don't want to be around your dogs. I know how you talk about how wonderfully behaved "your" dog is and how he is no problem. Yet every time I encounter "your" dog on the trail he charges down acting to protect his owner forcing me to wonder if I'm going to get bit. I've seen lots of dogs crap on the trail but I've never seen an owner clean it up. They p!$$ all over the campsites. They play in the drinking water source. I know you think they are cleaner than filthy hikers, but if you can be honest with yourself for a moment, they all eat $#!t. I don't want them licking me, my stuff, and don't want them anywhere near my food or bedding. How many afternoons have I sat with you and watched your nasty dog licking their unmentionables. I like the parks, trails, camps, and facilities where dogs are banned and hope that they are eventually banned everywhere. I know you're going to tell me about your right to enjoy the outdoors with your beloved dog but I'm more interested in my right to enjoy the outdoors without the misery of tolerating your stinking dog. OK, you can let me have it now...
    My dog just read your post and he wants me to tell you.The next time he sees you on the trail he's gonna poop on your pack straps during lunch break,and toss your boots up in a tree while you sleep.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Thanks for the bait, but sorry, I'm not biting.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

i can live with that, at least your honest! i had a pretty laid back dog, alot of hikers seem to enjoy her(our)company. the problem i have is all these asswipes saying i'd kick your dog or harm it in some way! well thankfully that never happened because i would of handed them thier ass! and you can take that to the bank, i wouldn't tolorate people swinging at my dog!
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 03-30-2012 at 00:01.

Mr. Crumbsnatcher, I've read enough of your posts to have formed the impression that you are an intelligent and nice guy. Your answer concerns me though and reinforces why I think dogs should be banned. I am a gentle giant and go out of my way to harm or aggrivate no animal or person. Respect is very important to me. But if your or any dog attacks me, I will kill or badly injure the dog in an attempt to keep from being injured. If a dog charges down on me in a threatening manner, I will take violent defensive measures. If the owner thinks of responding, I urge him to consider the fate of the dog. It would be a tragedy for a dog to be killed or injured trying to do what it is bred to do---protect it's territory. It would be an even greater tragedy for that to lead to the death of a person. Before you attempt to "hand someone their ass", be aware that as long as I'm on the trail, you are not the biggest bear in the woods... Anyone thinking about this can clearly see why mixing your pet with other people has the potential of serious liability. In my mind, it's not worth it... I hope that we can continue to respect one another... Sincerely,,, Capt Nat

I am a gentle giant and go out of my way to harm or aggrivate no animal or person. Respect is very important to me.
    this is why it wouldn't be an issue between us!
    respect goes both ways, i was talking about someone striking my dog first,unprovoked for no reason at all. anyone that knew my dog, knew she was a gentle soul and was not an attack dog, or a begger, or a thief, or a nuisance.
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 03-30-2012 at 00:19.

You know Mr. Crumbsnatcher, I actually do like dogs and can fall in love with one quite easily. But I, like you, have had some bad experiences with people and dogs. I do think that with age, I find myself less tolerant than when younger. I love children too but I find that now I hate to listen to someones screaming baby in the movie theater. I hate to listen to someones dog barking throughout the night in camp. I, and I think everyone loves a really great dog. There are just so many rude and aggresive ones out there. I hope we meet up on the trail someday, I'm sure we'll be friends.

When your dog has reached over 10,000 posts on WB, thats a pretty good indication its ready for a long hike.

You know Mr. Crumbsnatcher, I actually do like dogs and can fall in love with one quite easily. But I, like you, have had some bad experiences with people and dogs. I do think that with age, I find myself less tolerant than when younger. I love children too but I find that now I hate to listen to someones screaming baby in the movie theater. I hate to listen to someones dog barking throughout the night in camp. I, and I think everyone loves a really great dog. There are just so many rude and aggressive ones out there. I hope we meet up on the trail someday, I'm sure we'll be friends.
    I just canceled the order I placed for a "I Hate Dogs"Button trimmed in 14 kt.gold (so people know your serious),that I was going to send to you but clearly you no longer qualify.How bout a "I'm the Biggest Bear in the Woods" button?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I just canceled the order I placed for a "I Hate Dogs"Button trimmed in 14 kt.gold (so people know your serious),that I was going to send to you but clearly you no longer qualify.How bout a "I'm the Biggest Bear in the Woods" button?
    P.S. my pup is really upset by his actions last night and said he didn't mean to be so "RUFF"

I want dog people to be just as understanding while I play my harmonica (poorly) all afternoon and into the night... And don't expect me to walk off a discreet distance for my lengthy cell phone conversations.

I want dog people to be just as understanding while I play my harmonica (poorly) all afternoon and into the night... And don't expect me to walk off a discreet distance for my lengthy cell phone conversations.
    The more I learn about people, the more I wish I could lick my own crotch.

dog hater!!! hey, your honest, & right on alot of that. signed, proud owner of 2 large great danes.

Well here we go I just read the above post about dogs on the trail,any trail. Yes I have a trail dog whom stays with me, carries his own food and water.
    And yes I take responsibility for my dog and his actions. I specifically trained him for the trail, he keeps constant awareness of where I am and where he is and comes when called by a whistle.
    And as far as shelters go I would not allow him in the shelter mostly because I don't want other people interacting with my boy.
    I went to a lot of trouble and a long time training him to be a damn good trail buddy and I don't want other people screwing with him. Primarily I would spend most of my time keeping people away from my dog, simple as that. He's not out there to entertain or bother anyone, thats how he is trained. And thats the way we roll.
    Stand up, Move Forward
    Pilgrim

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    First post in awhile but wanted to pass this along for the folks hiking next year.

Kincora Hostel in Dennis Cove, TN, near Hampton, will, with regrets, be a dog free establishment next year, for any number of reasons. (There are excellent campsites very near to the Trail, tho, and owner Bob Peoples says that hikers are still welcome to enjoy his free town/supermarket shuttle whether they're staying overnight at his place or not, but unfortunately, dogs will not be permitted on the actual property in the future. Too many problems, too many bad owners).
    This is truly sad! I am a Section Hiker and have spent countless hours training my dog to have proper trail ettiquette and proper manners with people. He absolutely LOVES to hike so I've put in the extra effort to make sure I am prepared to care for him properlly on the trail. To have so many bad dog owners ruin the AT experience for the rest of us is just wrong. I haven't met one of these "bad owner's" yet, but I sure have paid the price following behind them on the trail. They make it hard to find accommodations and transport. If you don't prepare your pooch properly, don't bring them with you on the trail!!! I was planning on staying at Kincora this June, well I guess now I can't. Grrrr........

Journal Entries

I hike with my cat.

I think the biggest problem is that bad owners are to oblivious to understand they are bad owners. I have met many misbehaved dogs and have yet to meet a dog owner that says he/she is a bad owner. One more issue is that they are after all animals and animals can be unpredictable no matter how well trained. I love dogs and I believe Jack nailed it.

I am glad I read this - I've always thought of myself as being relatively considerate as well as tolerant. I was considering taking my dog with me for a weeklong hike (in preparation for an eventual thru-hike). Since this will be my first time camping for over a couple days on my own in unfamiliar territory, I thought having him with me would helpful. Realizing after reading all of the posts, that perhaps a better choice would be to hike that first week in a more populated area instead of putting my dog (and others) in an unpleasant situation.

Thanks for pointing out that it is not all about 'me'.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
++ New Posts ++