WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Lightheart Tent

Bad weather use report:
    I finally was able to use the tent in some truly foul weather last weekend. I saw on TV that we were having a storm front come through on Sat. night, so I set my tent up on the back lawn of my church which is on a small pond.
    The winds came across the pond all night, with heavy rain squalls. A gust of over 50 mph. was recorded 10 miles away, so I'm sure I experienced at least a 40 mph. gust.
    I pitched the tent as tightly as I could and used the pullouts that I had sewn on (above). MSR Groundhog stakes were used on the two ends and the two main side fly guyouts. Aluminum shepherd hook type stakes were used on the aftermarket pullouts. All stakes held, the tent was fairly quiet in the hour or so I sat in it (I actually used a hammock and new [first night out] MacCat tarp) nearby.
    Insight: I realized that the entire tent and fly assembly can be tightened from inside (once it stretches from the rain) by merely unlocking your trekking poles and lengthening them slightly - how easy is that?
    I did note that a few drops of water entered from where the strap which holds the door open in nice weather is sewn through the main seam which goes from the end to the peak. This is probably due to poor sealing on my part more than anything else. Beyond that, the tent was bone dry except from where I got the floor wet while entering. I did not bother to wipe it up since I was actually sleeping in the hammock.

With the pullout mods and velcro strips added to the peak to stabilize the spreader bar this tent is a real lightweight winner (especially for warmer months - I wouldn't want to be in blowing snow with it due to all the mesh).
    This cocludes my test of the tent.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Default Tall Users

I have been looking for a lite weight solo tent and one of the issues I run into is my height. I am 6 ft 3" and many of the solo tents look great until I look at their floor space and find the usable tent floor space is either shorter than I am and or to narrow. Has anyone used this tent who is close to my height and can report on how well it "fit".

Years ago my wife who is 5 ft 2 inches went camping with some friends and used my backpack. Her friends said from behind it looked like the backpack had legs.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Images

Default extra long tents

Gunner,
    at 6'3" you will be a little tight if you sleep stretched out, if you sleep on your side, curled up, you will fit no problem. You WILL be able to sit up with plenty of head room in this tent.

I have a 2 person tent coming out soon. Yes, I know I"ve been saying that since Trail Days, but the sewing of it is a pain so I sent it off to be manufactured, I should have it by the spring. The point is, you will feel small in the 2 person tent. The floor is 103" X 57", all usable space (no pointy ends in this tent) It will have the same hiking pole set up (uses only one set of poles), has 2 doors, and weighs under 2 lbs.
    Judy AKA HeartFire of LightHeart Gear
    www.lightheartgear.com

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I have been looking for a lite weight solo tent and one of the issues I run into is my height. I am 6 ft 3" and many of the solo tents look great until I look at their floor space and find the usable tent floor space is either shorter than I am and or to narrow. Has anyone used this tent who is close to my height and can report on how well it "fit".

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    I have a 2 person tent coming out soon. Yes, I know I"ve been saying that since Trail Days, but the sewing of it is a pain so I sent it off to be manufactured, I should have it by the spring.
    I've been wondering about that... been checking your website since TD. Glad to hear it's being worked on b/c a 2 person lightheart sounds intriguing to this BIG dawg.

Images

Default New 2 person tent

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to being able to check out your new 2 person tent.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Images

Where the pullout mods and velcro strips added to the peak to stabilize the spreader bar added to the tent to improve the design?

Images

Trail Trooper,
    Who are you asking this question of? Me or Tinker.

I am considering adding the extra pullouts in the future, but I still don't think it needs anything at the ridge. The bar moves a little bit because of the seams at the top of the tent, It really can't get knocked out of place. It is quite stable where it is.
    HeartFire/ LightHeart Gear.

Journal Entries
    Images

Gunner,
    at 6'3" you will be a little tight if you sleep stretched out, if you sleep on your side, curled up, you will fit no problem. You WILL be able to sit up with plenty of head room in this tent.

I have a 2 person tent coming out soon. Yes, I know I"ve been saying that since Trail Days, but the sewing of it is a pain so I sent it off to be manufactured, I should have it by the spring. The point is, you will feel small in the 2 person tent. The floor is 103" X 57", all usable space (no pointy ends in this tent) It will have the same hiking pole set up (uses only one set of poles), has 2 doors, and weighs under 2 lbs.
    Judy AKA HeartFire of LightHeart Gear
    www.lightheartgear.com
    Do you think you'll have the 2 person tent ready by Ron's April Fools?

Images

Default LightHeart Duo

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    Do you think you'll have the 2 person tent ready by Ron's April Fools?
    Bulldawg,
    Unfortunatly no, it looks like the earliest I will have them will be the end of April. I have my prototype from the manufacture, (and it's really great) but I want to make one more modification to it.
    HeartFire

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Bulldawg,
    Unfortunatly no, it looks like the earliest I will have them will be the end of April. I have my prototype from the manufacture, (and it's really great) but I want to make one more modification to it.
    HeartFire
    Wrong answer. I was just about to send in my order for the one with two-doors. I also was going to ask for a lighter shade of gray like the Stephenson 2R that I love but that will be left behind March, 2010, if I can find an excellent other tent to carry. (This is a trade off for having to carry the !@#$%^&* knee brace.) Whatcha think, Heartfire?--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Journal Entries
    Images

Bulldawg,
    HeartFire

I'd be more than glad to try the prototype out and review it for you!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    Wrong answer. I was just about to send in my order for the one with two-doors. I also was going to ask for a lighter shade of gray like the Stephenson 2R that I love but that will be left behind March, 2010, if I can find an excellent other tent to carry. (This is a trade off for having to carry the !@#$%^&* knee brace.) Whatcha think, Heartfire?--Kinnickinic
    I think you'll be fine with the one-person version, which is lighter than the two-person anyway. It will be perfect for your hike!!!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    I think you'll be fine with the one-person version, which is lighter than the two-person anyway. It will be perfect for your hike!!!
    I think that Heartfire thought the weight difference would be only 3 oz, but that was back last May. Yes, one person is fine for only one person. Sometimes I'd like to take one of my big dogs though. Happy T-Day, Marta and David and kids.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

Kinnickinic,
    The 2 person tent came in at exactly 2lbs. the manufacture made a few modifications to my design, and really improved the stability of it, I spent a very nice night in my backyard sleeping in it listening to the waterfall.
    HeartFire

Images

I was playing with the extra pullouts that Tinker mentioned he put on the tent, and wow, what an improvement so form now on the extra tabs are going on the tent, This will help make it more stable in high winds, hold the fly out and give more space inside. of course it will bring the weight up an ounce or so, and would require 7 or 8 stakes vs. the 4 it takes now. This can be an optional thing.

Images

Did you take any pictures?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    Did you take any pictures?
    yes... a prototype preview would be nice!

I was playing with the extra pullouts that Tinker mentioned he put on the tent, and wow, what an improvement so form now on the extra tabs are going on the tent, This will help make it more stable in high winds, hold the fly out and give more space inside. of course it will bring the weight up an ounce or so, and would require 7 or 8 stakes vs. the 4 it takes now. This can be an optional thing.
    That is a really cool looking design. Is there any way somebody could get a look at one of these in person?

Images

Default lightheart tent

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    yes... a prototype preview would be nice!
    IF the weather is nice tomorrow (and I'm not out hiking) I will get pictures of it up

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
    That is a really cool looking design. Is there any way somebody could get a look at one of these in person?
    RedBeard, where do you live? I see you are in NC. I'm in Fletcher, come and see the tent.
    Judy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++