Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: PCT vs AT

Limiting the beautifully scenic and diverse PCT to 90 days with your limited or non existent long distance backpacking experience(I don't care what you have done in another sport) is asking for a hurried and ill prepared hike that puts you at a higher risk of not completing the hike or missing out on sections and being more prone to injury.

I can only wish i was ready for my first hike with little to no experience.

You're gonna have a great time no matter which one you decide on!

Having tons of experience takes a lot away from the adventure.
    that's why i like new places.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Its an impossible question. It's all walking of course, and the AT has become much easier over the years. You can have a social or more solitary experience on either. Experience can also add to the adventure. The AT introduced me to a lifestyle. I've hiked more in the west - but will always love the AT. Thats why I'm headed to Maine. You really cant make a wrong decision. Flip a coin. I like to say its like asking a parent which young child they love the best.....They are both special for many reasons.

Thanks to everyone for the responses, I'll have to mull things over. One of the reason I thought 90 days was doable on the PCT was a former teammate of mine did the AT in 99 days with his brother having very little hiking experience. From what I read the PCT seems to average about a month less so I thought it wouldn't be too tough. However after reading some of the responses it seems that 90 days would kind of limit my experience. Especially knowing my own competitive nature I'd probably be more focused on the goal rather than the actual trip.

I wouldn't try to think about how many days it's going to take you.
    That is what could ruin things in itself.

Sure you need plans but once you take the first step, throw the schedule out.
    You'll have a much better trip that way.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I wouldn't try to think about how many days it's going to take you.
    That is what could ruin things in itself.

Sure you need plans but once you take the first step, throw the schedule out.
    You'll have a much better trip that way.
    That's the way I've been thinking about it as of late. Thanks for the advice

In response to why the PCT can often be done faster: it's not just a matter of the PCT having an easier grade, newer trail design or construction or maintainence, or the terrain is easier. I find that most who hike the PCT have other long distance hiking experience, typically on the AT or CDT. You know that this long distance hiking stuff is what you want to be doing. That's what I did. I went from the AT to the PCT. Other all significant factors are that with gained experience you learn to hike faster if you want because you: are in a better place to lighten your load(you become more gear savy), know your hiking rhytym and style, are often in better physical and backpacking shape, you know what to better expect mentally and physically, you know how to resupply, you have learned how to walk/hike efficiently, etc. All this, which comes with experience, enables thru-hikers on the PCT to hike faster. Get what I'm saying?

I will also suggest what Fiddlehead has stated - don't think so much about how long it will take.

What you don't yet fully realize Rush is just how much your life will change after you complete a long thru-hike. You are going to grow and create memories in ways you can't fully comprehend right now. Why rush it, Rush?

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rush13 View Post
    That's the way I've been thinking about it as of late. Thanks for the advice
    Regardless of which trail you decide to take on, I strongly suggest that you don't start out with 20 mile days, even if you are young, strong, in sports-shape, and immortal. Your ligaments, knees and feet need to get used to the constant daily pounding, or else you increase the risk of overuse injuries (Achilles tendonitis, serious blisters) and a variety of leg injuries. If you slowly ramp up the miles each week and don't let your machismo tempt you to try to put in the big miles early on, then you'll have a much better chance of finishing in your 90-day goal.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Rush,

Having done both the PCT and AT, I'd go for the PCT! Easier trail overall like Mags says and the resupply thing wasn't that bad compared to AT, though I found I had a lot more 5-day food carries --- a day's food for me weighs about 2.5 lbs, so that's 12.5 lbs coming out of town which is always a climb (on both trails). Fantastic views over the whole length of the trail, and a nice blend of solitary hiking and hiking with other thru's. Generally, better weather.

However, CAUTION! I think it was Mags who wrote on his home page that "Hiking the AT ruined him" meaning that long distance hiking will get into your blood and you may not be able to resist a 2nd, 3rd or Nth trek. You say you don't think you'll have time to do both. My bet is that once you've done either, you'll be back out doing the other.

I second Mags' advice to get out and do a little backpacking and have some experience dealing with foul weather. Unlike a day hike, you can't just hike out thru the rain to the car and head home to a hot shower and dry bed. You need to get some experience dealing with different degrees of damp and different degrees of grunge!

As to the 90 day time limit, I'll bet you could stretch that and still keep that job offer open or skip a year before starting grad school or whatever is putting that limit on you. Take your time and enjoy the trail---whichever you choose.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Images

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    . . . However, CAUTION! I think it was Mags who wrote on his home page that "Hiking the AT ruined him" meaning that long distance hiking will get into your blood and you may not be able to resist a 2nd, 3rd or Nth trek. You say you don't think you'll have time to do both. My bet is that once you've done either, you'll be back out doing the other. . .
    My take on that is if you ever go out on a longer trip, something at least 3 or 4 weeks long and really get into it you never really come home again. You're just hanging around until the next time you can get out.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    My take on that is if you ever go out on a longer trip, something at least 3 or 4 weeks long and really get into it you never really come home again. You're just hanging around until the next time you can get out.
    I call it PRE-trail adjustment.

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.ph...ost-trail.html
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

So did I swipe that idea from you or did you swipe it from me?

Back in the day Freebird had a post about that, something about not fitting into society real well, being sentenced to hard time on the AT, going back to the "real world" and being sentenced to a longer hike on the PCT . . . long story short is he's admitted he's a repeat offender and unlikely to be rehabilitated.

I envy the hell outta that guy.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    So did I swipe that idea from you or did you swipe it from me?
    The first part of that writing was done back in 1999 after the AT . In 2002 I fleshed it out more shortly after finishing the PCT and then added/edited the document over the years to its current l form.

I think I'm the one who coined the term "repeat offender" for thru-hikers back around the same time period on PCT-L as well.

Who really knows though. Many times similar ideas come out from different people at roughly the same time. (cf. The whole Jardine discussion!!!)

ps. Off to Canada in a few hours...just to emphasize more of this wanderlust bug!
    Last edited by Mags; 08-14-2009 at 11:39.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    The first part of that writing was done back in 1999 after the AT . In 2002 I fleshed it out more shortly after finishing the PCT and then added/edited the document over the years to its current l form.
    'Kay, I probably swiped it from you, then.
    I think I'm the one who coined the term "repeat offender" for thru-hikers back around the same time period on PCT-L as well.

Who really knows though. Many times similar ideas come out from different people at roughly the same time. (cf. The whole Jardine discussion!!!)
    Um, no that doesn't conform to the "Hike my hike, dammit" philosophy, so you're just gonna have to readjust your attitude, bucko.
    ps. Off to Canada in a few hours...just to emphasize more of this wanderlust bug!
    Oh yeah, rub it in, why don't you?

All kidding around aside, have a good time and enjoy your skinless chicken, etc.

Repeat offender - guilty as charged. More charges pending.

Rehabilitation, reassimilation, renitroduction to "society" not possible - don't want it, don't need it.

Home is where the heart is. Society is now defined by my terms.

Funny how unhealthy civilization is, isn't it? Steve Howe(Editor - Backpacker Magazine)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    That's the crux. A long day hike is doable by just about anyone. Doing it day after day is another story (with a pack) The year I hiked the PCT, Chuckie V (any triathletes will know this guy) was quite shocked how his professional athlete body was beat up by the day after day grind of hiking every day with a full pack. (He adjusted..it was just A LOT more difficult than he expected).

I did not realize you had done no backpacking.

Seriously, get yourself out there and commit to a longer hike to see how your body handles running vs, hiking.

I've seen marathon runners and triathletes in my own circle fade after just one day of backpacking. Different muscles. Different mindset. This article may be useful.

Would you say the views are better during the PCT?

More wide open for sure. The "long green tunnel" definitely has an intimate, more subtle beauty..but not many wide open views. The PCT has more of those overall.

And yes I don't think anybody enjoys carrying 50+ lbs on their back

You haven't been on this site long enough. There are some mucho macho hotdogs on this site who believe anyone who does not carry a 50+ pound pack is missing the point of the outdoors. I kid you not.

Many walks said:

IMO attempting to do either trail in 90 days (especially the PCT) without resupply help would be not only difficult, but would negate the entire purpose of thru hiking such beautiful country, unless you're strictly into it for the praise and accomplishment.

For you perhaps.

Or, to put your philosopy and others more succinctly: Hike My Hike, Damn it!

But some people simply like to , and can, walk all day. Suge walked the PCT in about 90 days and called it "A Beautiful Thing".

As I like to say, just because you like chocolate ice cream, that does not mean vanilla ice cream sucks.
    One of the best posts ever on WB.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Flip a coin and just start walking.
    Don't set a destination date...just walk. If you don't enjoy it then at the 90th day (or before) you will go home.
    If you do like it, you will stop when it is done........and then go to the next trail!
    Heed the advice given in this thread. If you do end up liking thru hiking ALL of your priorities in life will probably change and the 90 day deadline will never matter again!
    Just walk.

geek

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rush13 View Post
    Howdy all!!

I was looking for a little advice on which long distance hike I should tackle first. In a perfect world I would like to complete both but who knows when I will have time to do so. I'm graduating college in the spring and I'm hoping to tackle either the PCT or the AT in summer 2010 or 2011. My original plan was to do the AT but after doing some research I stumbled across the PCT and it really began to pique my interest.

I've never done anything more than a day hike (I've done many of these) and I was curious as to which one everyone recommends. From what I've been reading it seems as if most people have done the AT before they do the PCT but the interesting part is that the hikes are vastly different so does anyone foresee any problems of going straight for the PCT? I'm from New Hampshire so I've only done East Coast mountains (part of the reason I had been thinking AT) but the West Coast has really caught my attention.

An important thing to note is that I'm a distance runner that typically runs about 80-100 miles a week. So I'm not kidding myself thinking I can just jump right from the couch to the PCT. I also thought the PCT would be a better fit for me as its more lightweight hiking (I'm a distance runner, I'm skinny )

Also on the more wishful thinking side...feasability of completing the PCT in 90 days? I realize that would be averaging 30 miles with zero rest days. I think it would be entirely doable (I've done more 20 mile runs then I'd want to count). Is this wishful thinking, am I giving myself too much credit here thinking my distance running will convert well to the PCT? I wont take offense to anybody bringing me down to earth on this one
    Before you decide on doing ANY thru hike, you need to get out and do a nice week long hike somewhere nearby. It is best not shell out the money on gear, time and effort on getting to the trail only to find that you hate hiking. And don't say that you know from your day hikes that you won't hate it- carrying all the gear and going it day in and day out is an entirely different matter. And don't count on your running muscles to see you doing fifteen miles days from the start- I know marathon and long distance runners who were really in shape and they were crippled by the trail (more emotionally than physically, it is possible).

A twenty mile run is not like a week of thirty (or even twenty) mile days. As I said, go choose a nice section of trail (not easy but not too hard either) and hike it for at least a week. And do the kind of miles that you're planning to do on your thru- it will be much harder than your think.

On the other hand, some people adapt to the trail really well- maybe it will be easier for you. Good luck.

(And I have heard that it is easier to crank out big miles on the PCT than the AT, so if you go for that, it may be easier- just don't get dehydrated and die)

Yellow Jacket
    Images

I didn't read the above posts so this might be a dupe...

I have not hiked either trail, but one thing to consider pre-trip conditioning. For the PCT you just need to get into "flat" cardio shape. Sure a few stairs/hills wouldn't hurt, but it isn't as necessary as the trail is fairly flat for 300+ miles and you sort of ease into the hills. Whereas the AT starts with hills on day one and doesn't really give you a break until VA. So, if you want of finish a trail in 90 days, I think it would be far easier to physically prepare for the PCT than the AT.

One other thing I about finishing the PCT vs the AT (Nobo). I really think AT is at an advantage due to social support and the "big rewards" are at the end of the trail. Whereas the PCT has social support thru CA at which point many drop out. And to make maters worst, most of "the best" parts (Sierras) of the PCT are completed by the time the social support wanes, which can make it difficult to finish.

Have fun whatever you do....
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++