WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 3-season jacket.....

Hi,

I am looking to buy a jacket for primarily Spring/Fall use. I am looking for the typical stuff: lightweight, waterproof, wind resistant, breathable, etc..... I am hoping to find something duarble enough for trail use but will also wash up well so I can use it for casual wear. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Images

marmot's driclime and others like it are pretty nice
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

I just purchased the Mountain Hardware Epic from REI Outlet for $53, normal price $100. They have it on close out right now and I bought it about 5 days ago when they had an addtional 20% off. Ending up getting it for $43. Its breathable, lightweight, with pit zips and large front chest pockets. Haven't had it out on the trail but I am happy with it so far.

Images

Marmot Precip - retails for $99 but you can find on sale for as low as $60. Best jacket at that price that I know of. With one or two layers of fleece under it, will take you into the teens with comfort. Very stylish also. I wear it to work in cold weather and have had many compliments on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat0907 View Post
    I just purchased the Mountain Hardware Epic from REI Outlet for $53, normal price $100. They have it on close out right now and I bought it about 5 days ago when they had an addtional 20% off. Ending up getting it for $43. Its breathable, lightweight, with pit zips and large front chest pockets. Haven't had it out on the trail but I am happy with it so far.
    Sidenote: The MH Epic jacket is not made of Epic fabric. How they got around that one baffles me, but it's a proprietary coated fabric - another polyurethane coated "breathable" fabric. As always, more waterproof means less breathable, hence the numerous vents. Comparable with Marmot's Precip, which is waterproof but not really breathable. I used Precip as my regular rainwear for 6 years but got tired of the hood seams delaminating from my sweat and leaking. I'm currently looking around but am back to my poncho as hiking rainwear (old Goretex for colder weather).

Here's a link to some waterproof fabric rating:
    http://www.ellis-brigham.com/perform...s-glossary.htm
    Last edited by Tinker; 08-15-2009 at 22:16. Reason: oops, bad night.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Default PreCip Jacket

I love my Marmot PreCip Jacket. I've had it about 5 years and it still looks like new.

Images

I have a 10 dollar fleece jacket from Family Dollar that is as good as any you can get from an outfitter. I bought a bunch of them so as I wear them out I can just pull one out of the closet.
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

Images

patagonia's alpine wind shirt is pretty sexy
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    Hi,

I am looking to buy a jacket for primarily Spring/Fall use. I am looking for the typical stuff: lightweight, waterproof, wind resistant, breathable, etc..... I am hoping to find something duarble enough for trail use but will also wash up well so I can use it for casual wear. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
    The Montbell Thermawrap Parka is a really nice lightweight jacket that is very light and warm, with favorable reviews. It is not waterproof, but water resistant, and is sized small and athletic, so order the next bigger size.

Quote Originally Posted by DapperD View Post
    The Montbell Thermawrap Parka is a really nice lightweight jacket that is very light and warm, with favorable reviews. It is not waterproof, but water resistant, and is sized small and athletic, so order the next bigger size.
    Absolutely love mine, it's top notch. Wore it on a freezing cold morning late last week on Mount Washington, with just one thin layer of thermals underneath, and I stayed toasty warm while breaking camp and eating breakfast. My XL size weighs 15oz and blows away the fleece jacket (which was a little heavier) that it replaced.

I got the pants too, but unfortunately even the largest size was too small for me. Rats!

Journal Entries
    Images
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

++ New Posts ++