WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    GA-ME 2011
    Images

Default Best stove for a Scout Troop

I'm looking for opinions on what would be the best stove to purchase for a Scout troop just getting into backpacking. I'm probably looking for a propane / butane fueled stove since Scouts are not suppose to handle liquid fuel without adult supervision and because of the general safety concerns associated with liquid fuels. Also the stove should be able to handle both boiling water and some cooking for a patrol of about 5 boys during a weekend trip. Please consider durability and cost. Any constructive feedback will be greatly appreciated.

A scout troop should learn to cook on a wood/found fuel fire. Unless they don't teach outdoors skills in the scouts anymore?

There are many found fuel stoves out there. The Nomad's "Little Dandy" could be made as a scout project.
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

Yellow Jacket
    Images

There are several "remote" canister stoves on the market (a few more have been added recently now that folks figure out how to make them good winter stoves). They are great for big groups because they are far more stable than normal stove-on-top canister stoves so you can use a larger pot. Plus you have fine flame control. You can spread the weight around (one boy has the stove, another has a canister, a 3rd has windscreen and pot, etc.) and many of them make great winter stoves if you just flip the canister upside down (so it draws liquid propane from the canister).
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynkayak View Post
    A scout troop should learn to cook on a wood/found fuel fire. Unless they don't teach outdoors skills in the scouts anymore?
    A surprising number of areas don't allow open fires any more. And when you have a rainy summer followed by a drought, and a county declares a burn ban, you're stuck with stoves, as we were all winter on our local 9,000 acre Scout ranch in the Davis Mountains. But I agree, Scouts should learn how to cook on an open fire. Sure is easier. But back to the OP's question, I'd watch for a Primus EtaPower stove on Steep and Cheap. Kind of heavy, but super efficient, and perfect for a group of 5.

Images

I agree that boy scouts should learn to properly cook on a proper fire, but as already stated, that can be difficult where fires are not permitted or when fire bans are in place. One the other hand I think its just as important that a scout lean to use a stove as well.

How about a stove along the lines of a MSR pocket rocket or super fly? If it is not practical that each scout have a stove, they could be paired up and share a stove.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    MSR pocket rocket
    The pocket rocket is not a "group stove". I would avoid all "stove on top" canister stoves as they are too unstable with small pots, let alone a larger 2-4q pot. Whereas remote style canister stoves work great with larger stoves as they have wider and beefier pot stand along with a lower center of gravity.

Section by Section
    Images

Depending on where we go my scout troop uses different things.

• At least once a year we camp and do not take any stoves. This allows the scouts to learn to cook on a campfire which allows the opportunity to complete requirements 2d, 2e 2f and 2g for the Second Class rank.
    • A couple of times a year we will "base camp" in a group campground and use our tried and true Coleman Camp stoves.
    • We have several older Coleman Peak One liquid fuel stoves that we will use for one or two night backpacking trips. They are similar to this one. These are fairly easy to use and operate much like the traditional Coleman 2-burner camp stoves so the scouts are familiar with how to light and use them.
    • Last year I worked with several of our older scouts and I taught them to make a few different alcohol stoves. This past fall I took the older scouts on a 3-night backpacking trip and the only stove I would allow them to use was their alcohol burner they made. I told them this beforehand and one knucklehead tried to call my bluff and brought a Peak One with him. He really hated the fact that he lugged the weight for nothing.
    All that being said, I really think that a good quality canister stove would also be a good bet for scouts. Something on the order of the various Primus stoves (the Technotrail comes to mind) that have a piezo starter would be a great option. Easy to start, adjustable flame and nearly bombproof. The main gotcha is teaching the scouts about fuel conservation and proper disposal of the emty canisters.
    Midway Sam
    AT Section Hiker

"Adventure is not outside man; it is within." ~ Georg Eliot

Images

I got the Primus EtaPower Easy Fuel stove for our troop. It is a bit expensive, but I watched for an online sale ans snagged them for less than 1/3 the regular price. They can be expanded with an additional 3 liter pot. They come with a 1.8 liter pot.

This is a remote canister stove with an integrated windscree.

http://www.primuscamping.com/product.php?id=2

They have worked out well for group cooking. Some of our patrols are 8-9 boys. They have to split up and cook in shifts, but with other patrol set up type activities, this usually works out fine. The patrol quartermaster cooks for the first shift while everyone is setting up camp. Then he feeds the second shift while the first shift is cleaning up etc. We have used them only once, but they were great.

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

Images

Dang, what happened to the edit feature!

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Thanks, I'll have to find some information on the Little Dandy stove.
    And yes, we do teach outdoors skills.

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynkayak View Post

There are many found fuel stoves out there. The Nomad's "Little Dandy" could be made as a scout project.

Images

When our troop backpacks, the boys pack/cook individually, rather than as a patrol. The troop has bought canister stoves they can check out - we encourage two boys per stove - one carrying the stove, the other the canister. We also provide the canisters, through troop funds.

That being said, I'm taking my youngest to Philmont next year with our council contingency. The crew formation meeting is next week - I just realized that I have a work conflict, and won't be able to make it....which I hate, because I'm concerned about the kind of gear decisions they might make!
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Thanks to everyone who has weighed in so far. It seems like a remote canister type stove might be the way to go. The canisters is away from the flame, no liquid fuel, stable with larger pots, and can be divided up and carried between Scouts.

Journal Entries
    Images

Don,

When Troop 78 Willistown heads to the average summer camp or overnighter its all propane! When its high adventure and no green horns its MSR with remote Coleman gas cannisters.

Ohh and we had two bake packers!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Owl,
    The first backpacking stove I ever bought was the MSR Wisperlite, white gas only, its got to be 35 years old and still works like it did the day I bought it. The problem I see with that stove is you know the Scouts are going to put way too much fuel in the priming cup and then we'll have a bonfire! Like you said it's a great stove for experienced Scouts but we have a lot of new boys.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Owl,
    The first backpacking stove I ever bought was the MSR Wisperlite, white gas only, its got to be 35 years old and still works like it did the day I bought it. The problem I see with that stove is you know the Scouts are going to put way too much fuel in the priming cup and then we'll have a bonfire! Like you said it's a great stove for experienced Scouts but we have a lot of new boys.
    Uhh no problem ... grab the newbies and demonstrate. Then have them practice while parents are video taping! - have ambulance & large fire extinguisher nearby - make sure all lawyer releases are signed and on file...

Please get a grip on this. give the boys credit , make sure the patrol leaders have done this once or twice then turn them around and have demos. Put those boys in charge! its a leader run organization not Adult run organization. So long as the seals and rubber parts are in good shape you will climb mountains.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Owl,

MSR shows the Whisperlite as introduced in 1984. Perhaps you have an older model?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
    The pocket rocket is not a "group stove". I would avoid all "stove on top" canister stoves as they are too unstable with small pots, let alone a larger 2-4q pot. Whereas remote style canister stoves work great with larger stoves as they have wider and beefier pot stand along with a lower center of gravity.
    I realize that it is not a group stove, as I was suggesting that the scouts either use the stoves individually or that they should be paired up on a stove.

I agree, that low sitting burners/remote canister stoves have a great stability. However, I really have to disagree that canister stoves -- whether talking about the pocket rocket, superfly, a Svea, etc. -- are "too unstable." It makes it seem as though all they do it tip over. I have used such stoves for years without ever having a problem with stability.

Journal Entries
    Images

Tuckahoe64 This is about costs, & safety. They could do both, but its one stove per 5-8 boys or patrol, and its got to have a lot of gas in it for mistakes and be forgiving on spills, burnt food and having to start again. Boys often make strange mistakes in the field. One year we were not even cooking and a fire got started and almost wiped out the campsite, We got it out by beating it to death. No idea which idiot started it.

I once watch a Scoutmaster - screw up making bacon & links, he was cooking them floating in grease & oil, almost deep frying them because he wouldn't pour the excess off. 20 minutes later he finally listened to us.

Woo

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    I really have to disagree that canister stoves -- whether talking about the pocket rocket, superfly, a Svea, etc. -- are "too unstable." It makes it seem as though all they do it tip over. I have used such stoves for years without ever having a problem with stability.
    I, too, own a Pocket Rocket. I use it often when I hike with my kids. And I hate for that very reason. The 2qt pot I use slides all over the place and I have to be extremely careful about touching the pot/stove otherwise it will slide right off. If I want to stir something, or add something, I better have a good grip on the pot or else it will slide right off. I honestly, think a strong wind (though I doubt I'd cook in such a scenario) could blow a my pot off my PR. While it may not tip over, it would slide off.

The problems I have with the PR are primarily due to the odd design of the PR pot supports which only make contact with pot on their tips. This works OK if you have a MSR pot as they are ridged on the bottom allowing the pot support tips to slightly "bite" into the bottom. This doesn't happen if you a smooth bottom pot.

Thin wobbly pot supports that only make contact with the pot on their tips combined with smooth bottom pot makes for a very unstable setup.

Now other stove-on-top setups with better pot supports (like the Coleman F1 Ultralight) will have less of an issue, but I would not want to place a 4qt pot on one. 2qt max.

Images

I take a church youth group on the AT every summer. We use the MSR Windpro. It's a cannister stove but remote. Much more stable than a pocket rocket type of stove. One year while using a pocket rocket a pot of boiling water fell over burning one of my teens. Next year we switched over.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++