WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Keepin stuff dry

Just wondering how everyone keeps cell phone, camera, etc. from getting water damage.

Images

ziplock bag

Images

Second that. Handiest hiking gadget ever invented.

2010 complete

everything that I carry is in various sizes of ziplock bags. My pack is lined with a trash bag, and I carry a trash bag to slip over my external pack at night.

I found and returned a camera in the Whites that had fallen on the trail. It was in a ziplock bag, and survived a heavy rain.

point of interest, the exterior of my cell phone melted on the trail last week in nh/vt/ma. It bubbled up. It did not get wet. Verizon replaced it.

Images

ziplocs are great and if you want another layer of waterproofing protection + organizing, try Sea To Summit sylnylon stuff sacks:

http://www.rei.com/product/777723

Quite a few sizes and colors to choose from.

Camera in a ziplock, me+pack under the poncho.

Zip lock freezer bags. Double bag if weather is really bad. Carry extra bags. There are a bunch of very waterproof camera bags and plastic cases available, too. They probably weigh more than a dozen ziplock backs.
    Bringing extra ziplocks is a very good idea. I've had the zippers fail (mostly from getting things like sugar, coffee, and coffee creamer caught in the zipper). Now I reuse small plastic juice bottles for such things.
    Last edited by Tinker; 08-22-2009 at 19:53. Reason: I'm forever forgetting the second parenthesis.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    ziplock bag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Second that. Handiest hiking gadget ever invented.
    Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    everything that I carry is in various sizes of ziplock bags. My pack is lined with a trash bag, and I carry a trash bag to slip over my external pack at night.

I found and returned a camera in the Whites that had fallen on the trail. It was in a ziplock bag, and survived a heavy rain.

point of interest, the exterior of my cell phone melted on the trail last week in nh/vt/ma. It bubbled up. It did not get wet. Verizon replaced it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycat View Post
    Camera in a ziplock, me+pack under the poncho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Zip lock freezer bags. Double bag if weather is really bad. Carry extra bags. There are a bunch of very waterproof camera bags and plastic cases available, too. They probably weigh more than a dozen ziplock backs.
    Bringing extra ziplocks is a very good idea. I've had the zippers fail (mostly from getting things like sugar, coffee, and coffee creamer caught in the zipper). Now I reuse small plastic juice bottles for such things.

From experience (Wrong Answer)

Right Answer=
    Find one that fits both your camera & phone and spare batteries.

BETTER THAN PELICAN!

Don't belive it? test in a sink fill with water and put tissues in both and dunk. Ziplock sucks.

Think about that when it comes to TP. I Rarly call someone "out" but after loosing so much electronic gear over the years to shoddy bags, and "water proof containers" I would not want miss information going out to readers that can get ahead from my experiences. I apolgise to anyone I might have upset who has already posted.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

The thin skinned get offended. Those who are otherwise get educated.
    Thanks, WOO.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    From experience (Wrong Answer)

Right Answer=
    Find one that fits both your camera & phone and spare batteries.

BETTER THAN PELICAN!

Too heavy. Also, I've been hiking a very long time and haven't had a problem yet.

Images

Well if we want to get real technical about it Speedo makes a good pouch type plastic pocket that is above all. It's not quite large enough to fit a phone and a camera but they barley show up on the scales so carrying two or even three wouldn't be a big deal.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/9/1/3...8409641_tp.jpg

Picture makes it appear small but I can fit my camera in one.

...haven't had a problem yet.
    Neither have I. I also use the ziplock freezer bags for FBC, which means they have boiling water placed in them, then they are sealed, then I shake them up and let them sit sideways until they are cool enough to eat.

After hundreds of iterations of this (albeit with a new bag each time), I have yet to have any leakage.*

Perhaps the leakage people experience is due to older bags, which have been compromised due to use. In any case, since the camera isn't actually immersed in water, I still consider them to provide a functional barrier against wetness making it to the camera. There is also the poncho covering the camera case, which covers the ziplock bag.

*I probably will now, since I just jinxed myself.

Too heavy. Also, I've been hiking a very long time and haven't had a problem yet.
    Too heavy? Those containers weigh practically nothing. More than a ziplock, certainly, but not much more.

Journal Entries
    Images

What??? one tub is less than an ounce - I just checked...

And while we are discussing this, I have been there in a week of rain and this trick kept the humidity out because I tossed one of those silicate packets in there. zips might keep it somewhat dry but never as good as what I am talking about. Besides now that you don't have a canoe guy at the Kennebec - you might be portaging on your Big Agnes Air Mat!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    ....I tossed one of those silicate packets in there. !
    another ounce added..... doubling weight already

what do you mean no kennebec guy?? I just crossed the Kennebec the first week of August in the official white blazed canoe.

Journal Entries
    Images

hahahaha... refering to a earlier thread at the beginning of the year...

Woo

I use a variety of Watchful Eye Designs closure bags. You can get them at BPL, REI, etc. They're like ziploc's, but far more durable and were designed and tested for submersion.

++ New Posts ++