WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

(This is a long e-mail...warning!)

As an aside, I will be volunteering with a youth group that is not BSA based (starting after labor day).

What kind of qualifications should adults leading youths in the outdoors posess?

A love for not only the outdoors but an ability to pass on the knowledge and passion as well. There are many competent outdoors people who make lousy instructors. How to quantify those assets? Damn-if-i-know. Some people just have a knack for leading and organizing and sharing. Others do not.

Would greater selectivity among group leaders result in fewer available adult candidates, potentially harming youth-oriented organizations?

It stopped me from volunteering. Without false modesty, I feel I am qualified not just because of my outdoor experience, but because I am very good at leading groups, organizing trips and passing on info. However due to my (lack of) religious beliefs, I am not considered a viable candidate.

Whether limiting potential candidates based on sexuality or religious believes is a hindrance to an organization is another debate all together.

Does reducing group size among youth groups contribute to a more positive experience or will it unfairly limit the number of kids that potentially get out there?

Ah! This one is very near and dear to me.

One of my favorite recent reads is WILDERNESS ETHICS: PRESERVING THE SPIRIT OF WILDNESS by Linda and Guy Waterman (any New England hikers will probably know the names).

I enjoy this book because the authors have some obvious opinions, but it is not a polemic. The authors asks questions to the reader, gives their opinions after said questions and the logic behind their well reasoned opinions.

One of the chapters specifically deals with group sizes in both outdoor (AMC for example) AND youth groups (BSA, college groups).

The chapter mirrored my own thoughts and doubts as an active trip organizer in the outdoor group I am very active with.

Do we want to expose more people to the outdoors? Or do we want to make the outdoor experience more personal by limiting group size?

The trips I organize often fill up and marked as full. I was asked why do I limit trips. Out of the readings in the book and the fairly constant questions, I wrote the following essay:

From http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.ph...p_is_full.html

I've recently been a bit more strict about the size of trips I organize. Some members of the outdoor group to which I belong have questioned this TRIP IS FULL designation. Some seriously, some teasingly, all wondering.
    Here is my response.

Recently, I've been asked and/or teased about the TRIP IS FULL designations for the trips I've organized.
    Though it is mild teasing, I believe there is some kidding on the square involved.

So, why all the TRIP IS FULL designations lately?

Why not just organize another group that happens to meet up with us (wink, wink. nudge, nudge.) or just let everyone on the trip?

There are several reasons why I cap off trips.
    The idea of having another group that "just happens to meet up with us" is still one large group of thirty people.
    So what is wrong with large groups in the outdoors?

By letting large numbers of people into the outdoors, are we not introducing more people to the outdoors? Exposing others to something we love?

In the past, while I have not necessarily endorsed this view, I could at least understand it.

But it is a view I can no longer believe in.

There are often regulations in place that limit the size of trips. Whether you agree with these limits or not, they are the limits set by the local agency. It is a limit I would like to respect.
    As any educator can tell you, a large group limits the lessons that can be taught. A far better way to introduce someone to the wilderness is in a smaller group.

For purely selfish reasons I tend to enjoy an outing, even on social trips, when the group size is smaller.

A small group is something I can manage. A small group is where I can talk to people. A small group lets me enjoy the outdoor experience more fully. I'd like to think others enjoy the outdoor experience more, too.

Finally, it is for philosophical reasons why I mainly limit group size for trips I organize. I just do not think it is right to bring hordes of people into the outdoors, especially for backcountry trips. A large group has not only an environmental impact, but a wilderness impact as well.

Twenty plus people on a backpacking trip changes the environment. Rather than a wilderness experience, it is a social experience. A cocktail party in the woods.

I obviously enjoy the camaraderie the can be fostered in the backcountry. I've been known to make a nice fire, enjoy some wine and tell jokes. Even on the very large trips.... But, I feel uncomfortable on these trips. Our enjoyment may, and has, impacted upon others.

As a group do we want a wilderness experience? Or do we want a party with a nice view? Is it right to impose our impact upon others?

In the past, I've been flexible on this position due to wanting to be inclusive and/or other friends wanting a social experience in the back country.

However, I am starting to be less flexible about this trip size limit.
    Obviously, some trips have a different feel of what constitutes a smaller trip versus another (e.g. a remote valley vs an Open Space trail), but the philosophy is the same. By limiting group size, we not only enjoy the views. We not only enjoy the camaraderie. Or enjoy the challenges. But we are also experience something a little more wild. A little more intense. A trip that is more intimate. Something more than just a cocktail party in the woods.

It is an ethic I've aimed for. It is also an ethic I've not always achieved.
    But it is an ethic I plan on holding myself to more strictly.

On trips, we want some wildness to go with our wilderness. Large groups in the backcountry do not allow this sense of wildness.
    It is a view that I don't expect all members of the group to share, but it is a view that I hope others will understand.

Further reading:
    Walking by Henry David Thoreau
    Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey
    Wilderness Ethics: Preserving the Spirit of Wildness by Guy and Laura Waterman
    Last edited by Mags; 08-25-2009 at 17:58.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Do you philisophically disagree that a private organization can set standards for their leaders and members?

This point was not argued one way or another by me.

What was stated is that *I* do not feel comfortable volunteering for a group that would not accept me. Also stated is that I wish to avoid direct debate on this issue. Thanks.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by rpenczek View Post
    I really struggle with this entire thread. It began with the exclamation “I hike a lot, all over the place. I've seen many scout groups out there, probably a couple dozen, and not once have I been positively impressed.”

I assume this poster was certain that each youth group he encountered doing the inappropriate things he describes were in fact Scout groups. I further assume that this poster questioned every other youth group he encountered on the trail that was not doing anything inappropriate to determine they were not a Scout group; otherwise, the post would be a misrepresentation of the facts (“not once have I been positively impressed”).

One particular item in the first post is really troubling to me. In describing the inappropriate actions, the poster writes “leaving toilet paper unburied.” This portion of the post makes me wonder how the poster knows that it was a Scout that left toilet paper unburied, was he/she watching the Scout answer the call of nature.

Finally, it is clear that the poster does not understand the point of Boy Scouting. We do not exist to teach boys outdoor skills. We use the outdoors as a game to teach leadership, citizenship and fitness. Backpacking, camping, canoeing and hiking are all just games used to deliver leadership, citizenship and fitness. Yes, sometimes our adults don’t know all the rules of the game, they are learning too.

Yes, we may have cotton cloths on and no pack cover to protect our gear but I suspect you didn’t see us on Mt. Everest either. Also, we just might have learned (right here on Whiteblaze) to line our pack with a garbage disposal bag so we don’t need a pack cover (did you look in our packs to check). Also, we just might “Be Prepared” and have clean dry cotton cloths inside that garbage bag inside our pack. Yes, it is heavy and we might be cold and wet right now, but we are learning (adults and youth alike) and we will make better choices next time we backpack.

You might even hear one of our leaders tell a boy to “suck it up” but what you may not have herd is that same leader, before the hike, suggest the boy not bring along a two liter bottle of Mountain Dew and two extra pairs of cotton blue jeans. Hint, these will become learnings after the trip when to do roses and thorns (debrief the trip and discuss what worked and what did not work.) Also, you may not see that boy’s buddy’s offload his gear and help him out when they get further down the trail (what good citizens they are sometimes).

Finally, I notice the poster has a website that says he has 11,000 miles of backpacking experience and is 22 years old. Hmm, simple math says he could have thrued the AT 5.25 times. The average thru-hiker takes 6 months. Again simple math says he has hiked about 31.5 months or about 2.6 years. At 22 years old, I have to wonder if dloome has ever contributed to society or if he has ever done anything for anyone other than himself in his very short and inexperienced life (I would never believe this because to generalize and say any 22 year old that has hiked his entire adult – over 21 – life has never contributed to society would be prejudiced, I am not, I just wonder). Further, dloome’s website exclaims his desire to “share his experiences and enable others to experience these things for themselves.” I submit that dloome either put-up and volunteer some time with the Boy Scouts to help them out or shut up and go away.
    I agree,I thought the OP was trolling for a fight. Seem like the OP was VERY self-important. Bunch of crap in my eyes!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    the NEXT time I need a free pass from you will be the first time I need a pass from you. Your condescending attitude sucks. For your reference, The commnent was directed to the OP.

hopefully this is clear enough for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Yup you are right - I try every day to "avoid" that condescending attitude. You found my "problem" I would rather be your Friend and yet I knew that this thread was going to set fire to many folks here. But the Op had already discussed that he had started the thread on a bad note and retracted his earlier statement. One cannot erase the title.

I was trying with the post to understand what you were talking about, it wasn't clear and I certainly not trying to get a rise out of you, I will apologize for my poor word choice.
    WOO
    Well, Owl is nice about it, as he always is to pretty much everyone. I think your attitude, Tabasco, was a bit over the top, perhaps without realizing it. Let's not get this thread shut down when it's otherwise useful.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

I think the thing that is overlooked is that Scouting teaches skills (and yes, it's a hook for the "Three Cs" that are the real purpose of Scouting, 'character, confidence and citizenship') to young men who lack them. In a word, they're "noobs". As we teach them, they pick up more and more, to the stage where they often develop a love for the outdoors and backpacking that lead to them being, well, "One of us." Others don't, but learn to appreciate that some things in life are hard, and that there is a world beyond TV and video games.

I'd also have to say this: I've been a Scout and Leader for over half a century. In all that time, I've been a part of about 20 different Scout units, and seen, literally, thousands more (yes, thousands: I've attended four National Scout Jamborees, with a total of over 170,000 Scouts and Leaders, which comes to about 4,000 or so Troops), and here's this: Not one piece of litter was left in a single Scout campsite that I've ever - ever - seen. Every one of those sites had young men who were every bit as rowdy as kids from 11 to 18 can be, but with virtually no fighting, no stealing, no problems generally worse than homesickness. Ask a Scout to hand you a knife, for instance; he won't let go until you say, "Thank you," signifying that you have it firmly in your hands. If you see a Scout lighting a wood fire, ask to see his "Firem'n Chit," authorizing him to use matches...and ask what it means to 'lose a corner.' Ask one how to move a person who has fallen down a hillside, and see him tell you 'That's a trick question.'

In a word, well, folks: Scouts - even the newest ones - know more, behave better, and are tougher, pound for pound, than just about anyone I've known. And I've known a lot.

TW
    >>>---WWW--->>>
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by rpenczek View Post
    the poster writes “leaving toilet paper unburied.” This portion of the post makes me wonder how the poster knows that it was a Scout that left toilet paper unburied, was he/she watching the Scout answer the call of nature.

Also, we just might have learned (right here on Whiteblaze) to line our pack with a garbage disposal bag so we don’t need a pack cover (did you look in our packs to check). Also, we just might “Be Prepared” and have clean dry cotton cloths inside that garbage bag inside our pack. Yes, it is heavy and we might be cold and wet right now, but we are learning (adults and youth alike) and we will make better choices next time we backpack.

At 22 years old, I have to wonder if dloome has ever contributed to society or if he has ever done anything for anyone other than himself in his very short and inexperienced life (I would never believe this because to generalize and say any 22 year old that has hiked his entire adult – over 21 – life has never contributed to society would be prejudiced, I am not, I just wonder).
    rpenczek- I was hoping to remain out of this thread for the most part and merely contribute to the productive exchange that has occasionally been occuring, but I felt I should respond to you.

-Toilet paper: I happened to walk through an established campsite in a Utah National Park as a troop of Boyscouts was leaving, after spending the night there. (A water source was located such that passing through the area was necessary.) In the camp on the way out, I saw that the scouts had left used toilet paper laying on the ground- I know it was the scout group because it was left... very recently, if you get my drift. Your ridiculous insinuations otherwise are childish and across-the-board offensive. Grow up.

-Pack covers, etc: Generally speaking, when one sees an unbagged sleeping bag rolled up and strapped directly to an external frame backpack, which is being subjected to pouring rain, one can assume the user has a pretty wet sleeping bag.

I am "young", in the numerical sense. I would appreciate it if you would omit your speculations as to my life experience beyond this.

You have no idea where I come from, how I live my life, what I have done with it, what struggles I have overcome, and what sufferings and joys I have experienced. (Though filling you in would probably give you a clue.) I hope that in your own four decades on this Earth, you've come to realize that age is merely a number- There are teenagers who are more "aged" than people born long before them, and people who have lived remarkably full and experienced lives before theirs was cut short, including a young woman very close to me.

The fact that you dare to make such overt, negative assumptions regarding the experience of someones life is simply apalling coming from someone who should know better. Really.

Want to know more? Then PM me. Questioning my life and proffering utterly tasteless insinuations doesn't belong in this thread. Thanks.

Images

Dloome:

Take the flaming outside, please. If you keep it up, the thread will no doubt be closed, which would be a shame. And keep in mind that, in your 8th post ever on WhiteBlaze, you emphasized your "experience" as well as posting your age. So yeah, that's fair game, as long as it doesn't get to the "How dare you!" level you're starting. Meanwhile, chill out a bit and let the thread continue.

TW

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    What was stated is that *I* do not feel comfortable volunteering for a group that would not accept me. Also stated is that I wish to avoid direct debate on this issue. Thanks.
    I'm not going to debate the point except to point out that you WOULD be accepted as a counselor by the group even at a national level in the areas of hiking and backpacking even if you were an atheist, Unitarian, Druid, pagan, or, absolutely worse of all, a sports juggler.

Just sayin'.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    I'm not going to debate the point except to point out that you WOULD be accepted as a counselor by the group even at a national level in the areas of hiking and backpacking even if you were an atheist, Unitarian, Druid, pagan, or, absolutely worse of all, a sports juggler.

Just sayin'.
    I used to post on here as -bleach-, and just changed my user name since I no longer use my trail name. I have been a WB member since 2006. Any references to my 'experience' would correspond to backpacking/outdoor type experience. Not the "what have you ever contributed to society" type experience that rpenzcek brought up.

Also, when someone insinuates that I watch young boys defecating in the woods? Sorry, that's 'How dare you' territory to me.

Oop, Didn't meant to do the quote there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dloome View Post
    Oop, Didn't meant to do the quote there.
    Understood.

Images

Children (which may or may not include dloome):

Today's word is, hyperbole. Can we say that? Hi-PERB-oh-lee. Very good. Dloome, try to catch as well as pitch. It will make you live longer, and then you can have even more and more experiences, including, perhaps, with Scouting.

TW

Just sayin'.

I doubt the BSA would like it too much if they were foolish enough to "hire" me and if I publicity stated my atheism esp on the national level.

It is not something I define myself by, but I don't hide it either.

http://www.komonews.com/news/archive/4074941.html

Youth and Adult Volunteers

The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God. In the first part of the Scout Oath or Promise the member declares, ‘On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law.’ The recognition of God as the ruling and leading power in the universe and the grateful acknowledgment of His favors and blessings are necessary to the best type of citizenship and are wholesome precepts in the education of the growing members."http://www.bsalegal.org/duty-to-god-cases-224.asp

Really can't say I agree with the above. So, for better or worse, they will lose people like myself or those who are not heterosexual.
    I can (somewhat) see why they would not like non-religious people as its roots are a Christian youth organization in many ways. However, barring gay people..well, that's a large can o' worms.

Then again, they may not want me because of other worse reasons (For example, I think squid is tasty... and I have tendency to say "wicked' too much. And I kinda talk funny when I get excited (goes with the "wicked' usage.)
    Last edited by Mags; 08-25-2009 at 20:18.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Images

Actually, you might be surprised.

While things are different (and that's not a great topic to get into in this thread), adult registrants are not required to somehow certify their beliefs, and there are even some ways to honestly belong to Scouting without being a theist. (For example, Unitarians and some Eastern religions, to the extent they do not have a Supreme Being, are acceptable for members of Scouting). And while some organizations that sponsor Scouting may - repeat may - ask an adult's beliefs, it often doesn't happen, and in 35 or so years as a Unit Chairman, Cubmaster and Scoutmaster (in other words, as a 'lead dog') I've never seen it asked, at least in non-church sponsored units.

TW

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Actually, you might be surprised.

TW
    I would.

Because that is a direct quote from the BSA legal site.

So, at best it is a "don't ask, don't tell policy". A policy that still states, at least on paper, a person must have a belief in some theology (In fairness, the BSA allows many denominations in addition to the traditional Judea-Christian ones)). And, that is something I don't agree with. I won't make a big stink of it by joining and then suing. But, well, I just won't join at all.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    (For example, Unitarians and some Eastern religions, to the extent they do not have a Supreme Being, are acceptable for members of Scouting).
    The Unitarians don't believe in a Supreme Being?

Didn't know that.

I may need to check them out.

Images

I would.

So, at best it is a "don't ask, don't tell policy". A policy that still states, at least on paper, a person must have a belief in some theology (In fairness, the BSA allows many denominations in addition to the traditional Judea-Christian ones)). And, that is something I don't agree with. I won't make a big stink of it by joining and then suing. But, well, I just won't join at all.
    And you misunderstand the role of merit badge counselors.

Counselors for the Hiking and Backpacking merit badges neither have to join the BSA organization nor are they considered leaders.

The only dues you'll be asked to pay is the time you spend with kids interested in hiking and backpacking.

Quote Originally Posted by mudcap View Post
    I agree,I thought the OP was trolling for a fight. Seem like the OP was VERY self-important. Bunch of crap in my eyes!
    Well, I don't know. While the OP was obviously initially upset by a recent encounter and admits he posted with a bit of anger, I think his post has fostered some pretty good discussion.

Due to my own love of completely nonsensical posts I can't say every post I put up adds much to the conversation, but I wonder how you feel about your own post? Does it pretty well sum up itself?

Mags --
    The post was long but informative, I think. Thanks! I think the question about "greater selectivity" had more to do with leaders being required to have good outdoor experience rather than qualifications having to do with religion or sexual preference, but in the end it would probably lead to the same thing -- fewer leaders.

It's a bit of a connundrum. Scouting does have a religious foundation, and I understand that scouting is not just about outdoor knowledge; so while it is a shame that those knowledgeable outdoorsmen who object philosophically to some of the tenets of the scouts choose not to participate, it's probably for the best.

In the other direction, limiting leadership roles only to those with outdoor skills and understanding probably would mean that too many kids wouldn't get to participate.

Does anyone know if BSA requires that there be at least one person on backpacking trips with Wilderness First Aid or First Responder qualifications or anything like that? Just curious.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

And you misunderstand the role of merit badge counselors.

Counselors for the Hiking and Backpacking merit badges neither have to join the BSA organization nor are they considered leaders.

The only dues you'll be asked to pay is the time you spend with kids interested in hiking and backpacking.
    I don't want to speak for him, but perhaps Mags just doesn't want to support an organization that doesn't support his belief system. In any way, not just monetarily.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

I would.

Well, Mags, the lawsuit has been filed, heard, and decided, at the Supreme Court level: Scouting, wisely or not, as a private organization, is free to set standards for membership as it wishes. Some of us in Scouting think this policy should be modified, but that hasn't happened.

But as for denominations 'allowed', that's not correct: BSA doesn't "allow" any denomination or disallow any. All that is required is that a youth profess a belief in a Supreme Being, or otherwise belong to a recognized religious group (which, a bit incongruously, can include some groups that don't beleive in a Supreme Being, but I don't write the rules). If a youth is asked (as sometimes, albeit rarely, occurs, generally (if at all) when a young man is at the brink of becoming an Eagle Scout), all that's asked is, "Do you have a sincere belief in a Supreme Being?" In that, Scouting is no different than the Masonic Order, the Knights of Columbus, the Elks Club and many other organizations.

As for adult leaders, it's not quite a 'don't ask-don't tell.' One can be asked. The same answer should be sufficient. If someone is a complete athiest, and is asked, then they may be asked to resign. Maybe not. Depends on who's asking and who is listening.

TW

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++