WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Carrying a dagger while hiking

I was followed earlier this year by 2 guys who claimed they were lost and seeking the trailhead parking lot. They had no maps, no fluids, and smelled of alcohol.
    I did have my 5" blade diving knife that I managed to get out of my pack and have available, especially when they dropped back behind me several times.
    Anyway, I'm thinking about ordering a dagger (double edge) that has an almost 7" blade. States have different laws regarding carrying these knives and whether they should be made apparent (not concealed). I was thinking about attaching the sheath on my shoulder strap so as to be visible to someone and a deterrant.

Has anyone done this, or come across someone hiking that carried one?

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Compliments of SGT.Rock. Also search "carrying a sword"

check and see about if a expandable baton a.k.a. police baton , is allowed in your state you can also order a boot knife that fits comfortly, all if personal preference, I my self when hiking in certian areas of mississippi cary my 9mm but they are rough areas, i also hold a concealed permit but i dont like carrying all the extra weight but, when the other guy makes his move be ready, not dead or injured.
    hope it helps
    "Lord, with these hands we could end life, but allow me to use them to save so many more."

Where did this happen?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by G8R View Post
    I was followed earlier this year by 2 guys who claimed they were lost and seeking the trailhead parking lot. They had no maps, no fluids, and smelled of alcohol.
    I did have my 5" blade diving knife that I managed to get out of my pack and have available, especially when they dropped back behind me several times.
    Anyway, I'm thinking about ordering a dagger (double edge) that has an almost 7" blade. States have different laws regarding carrying these knives and whether they should be made apparent (not concealed). I was thinking about attaching the sheath on my shoulder strap so as to be visible to someone and a deterrant.

Stick with bear spray, it's multipurpose and easy to use. Works good on dogs, people and bears. Spray is good for multiple attackers and It works from a safe distance. Knives are up close and personal. Usually knives kill. Spray disables. Unless you are a good fighter a dagger may not be much help.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by G8R View Post

get you one of these http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...04&isFirearm=Y

Images

I like this one. Ruger LCP (light compact pistol)
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

I carry my fixed blade para military sheath knife quite often. Does not weigh much but it is a very visible deterrent on my sternum strap.

BE WARNED: NOT MANY PEOPLE STOP TO TALK TO YOU

Images

Quote Originally Posted by msfirehiker View Post
    check and see about if a expandable baton a.k.a. police baton , is allowed in your state you can also order a boot knife that fits comfortly, all if personal preference, I my self when hiking in certian areas of mississippi cary my 9mm but they are rough areas, i also hold a concealed permit but i dont like carrying all the extra weight but, when the other guy makes his move be ready, not dead or injured.
    hope it helps
    Expandable baton or for the hikers that use them, hiking sticks. I have on occasion collapsed my sticks to prepare for a possible problem but their is more to it then just hitting somebody with a stick so unless you are trained on where and how to hit an expandable baton or hiking sticks used as a baton will have the same effect as picking up a stick.
    WalkingStick"75"

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Where did this happen?
    Pinhoti Trail , Cheaha State Park in Alabama. I really just want a visible deterrant that says to someone, "hey, I don't want to **** with this guy".

Quote Originally Posted by msfirehiker View Post
    hope it helps
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingStick75 View Post
    Expandable baton or for the hikers that use them, hiking sticks. I have on occasion collapsed my sticks to prepare for a possible problem but their is more to it then just hitting somebody with a stick so unless you are trained on where and how to hit an expandable baton or hiking sticks used as a baton will have the same effect as picking up a stick.
    The collapsable baton is called and ASP. They are NOTHING like a collapsable hiking stick and they are made from hardened steel and titanium with a 3oz steel ball on the end designed to crack bone. Hiking sticks are usually made of alluminum and I could bend one over my knee. ASP's are legal to carry in Georgia ( I don't know about other states) and are available at most fire arm specialty stores. They are expensive though. Plus, if you do not know how to properly yeild one, you could kill some one quickly. One strike to the skull with the ball end and you WILL see gray matter. And then you better kill the other guy too so there is no one to testify at the trial. Just sayin!

http://www.batondefense.com/

Images

I consider my collapsed trekking pole (still about 18 inches long) to be my first line of defense. I'd take it over a knife any day and therefore only carry a small Leatherman Micra knife.

I remember a police demonstration at my school as a kid with one of those batons. they were showing how they can shatter bullet proof glass with like 5 quick strikes. Normal glass is easily broken with a half hearted swing.

Most people aren't afraid of them though, until they've been hit a few times

Quote Originally Posted by Homer&Marje View Post
    I remember a police demonstration at my school as a kid with one of those batons. they were showing how they can shatter bullet proof glass with like 5 quick strikes. Normal glass is easily broken with a half hearted swing.

Most people aren't afraid of them though, until they've been hit a few times
    If it takes "a few" hits to make them scared of it, they are more of a man than most! Them things HURT!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    I like this one. Ruger LCP (light compact pistol)
    I carry the same thing made by Kel-Tec. Very small, very light. Lone Wolf's suggestion was a good one too. Revolvers are nearly foolproof.
    Don't carry a firearm if you aren't willing to use it on someone, though. If you won't pull the trigger on another person it'll get taken away from you and maybe used on you. Don't carry

Images

Last message was posted before I was done..damn notebook!

Don't carry a gun expecting to bluff someone. Someone who's high might not get scared.

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    I carry the same thing made by Kel-Tec. Very small, very light. Lone Wolf's suggestion was a good one too. Revolvers are nearly foolproof.
    Don't carry a firearm if you aren't willing to use it on someone, though. If you won't pull the trigger on another person it'll get taken away from you and maybe used on you. Don't carry
    Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    Last message was posted before I was done..damn notebook!

Don't carry a gun expecting to bluff someone. Someone who's high might not get scared.
    Don't carry a firearm unless you are TRAINED! And that don't mean going out in the woods behind your house and punching a few holes in some paper. Learing how to handle a firearm in a stressfull situation is crutial if you are planning to use it for life saving self defense. With nerves going crazy, adrenaline and sweat. If you don't know what you are doing you are most likely NOT going to hit what you are wanting to and might very well drop the darn thing from the recoil. FYI, I carry a featherweight hammerless .38. And I have attended two seperate law enforcement sponsered hand gun training classes.

All good points, and it bears repeating that different states have different laws concerning batons, knives and guns. Bear spray is probably best for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    All good points, and it bears repeating that different states have different laws concerning batons, knives and guns. Bear spray is probably best for most people.
    So what is bear spray made of?

Concentrated Cayenne pepper

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++