WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    See above response. Evidently I'm a James Bond villain and never knew it. Guess I oughta check to see where my royalty checks have been going.

You use a cane gun while hiking ??!!?!?

Do you have a super secret lair with ninjas? That's be SWEEEET!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Homer&Marje View Post
    As a knife wielding drunk I completely agree with this It is always better to retreat from a fight than to enter into one.

Especially in the middle of the woods. Imagine how much they could charge your family for the SAR if you were in 6 pieces all scattered around in a national forest.
    Yo Homer, you seem to be somewhat stuck on that SAR thing. Maybe you might consider clearing your head from that topic a bit. Just sayin.... perhaps you could make one of those chocolate cakes with the bones in it? Just sayin....

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    How much can you afford?

TW
    I hike and I'm on disability. Can you do this one pro bono?

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Yo Homer, you seem to be somewhat stuck on that SAR thing. Maybe you might consider clearing your head from that topic a bit. Just sayin.... perhaps you could make one of those chocolate cakes with the bones in it? Just sayin....
    Everyone else was mentioning it elsewhere, I thought I'd give it a try.

Don't talk about my 12lb veal roast that way. It is BABY COW. Not chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by G8R View Post
    Pinhoti Trail , Cheaha State Park in Alabama. I really just want a visible deterrant that says to someone, "hey, I don't want to **** with this guy".
    Well, if you just want a menacing message, buy a t-shirt that says "don't **** with this guy", or velcro one of these to your chest: http://www.rmjtactical.com/ or just buy the nylon version of the real thing, along with one of his t-shirts. Police and Military get a $65 dollar discount off the cost of the genuine multitasking cheesecutters/stakedrivers. If you look around, you can still find the the triple-threat model that incorporates a pipe, although i have yet to find one with a piezo-electric igniter.

Images

I hike and I'm on disability. Can you do this one pro bono?
    Is that pro your bono, or my bono? Sure. Either way.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Don't talk about my 12lb veal roast that way. It is BABY COW. Not chocolate.
    OK, now I get it. BABY COW, DAGGER on the AT. Makes sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Actually The Weasel he has shown quite remarkable restraint in responding to the completely inflammatory post you put out following. You are not a moderator here, so quit posting about what's going to get things closed and not closed. If you have an issue with a post, PM a moderator or use the report post icon.

ooooohhhhhhh......SNAP!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    ooooohhhhhhh......SNAP!
    I know! I'll be so much nicer now, now that nice Mr. Alligator has reminded me.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Default CaneFu

Whoever mentioned canes made me recall an event in the life of the late Col. Rex Applegate (who also codesigned one of the more famous daggers, the Applegate-Fairbairne dagger, so this isn't totally OT): when he was 84, some months before he passed away of a heart attack/stroke, he was walking down a city street with his cane and was mugged by three much younger men. I forget now whether he killed any of them, but the survivors were probably suprised to learn that the old man who had beat them unconscious with his cane was one of the original members of the OSS in WW2, had fought with and trained many troops, and was the author of books like "Kill or Be Killed". I do remember that the muggers did at least suffer broken bones, as well as concussions. I wonder at what point they said 'uh, oh...'?

O Tango....I've kept so far away from the gun talk and you decide to come back and check in now. Fake wallet is a great idea, sometimes....running is still your best option in a lot of circumstances.

Or attack your attacker until he bleeds, tell the courts you were the initial attacker and sue the victim for traumatizing you because you don't like the sight of blood....

Any lawyers willing to take me as a client?? Oh wait...Johnny Cochrin died...never mind.
    Yo Homer-fake wallet idea is not mine.Borrowed it from Massad Ayoub.
    All decent "gun nuts" know who he is as he wrote a little book called
    "In the Gravest Extreme" in which he advocated trying not to shoot some
    one at all costs unless you absolutely have to.I am packing"fake wallet"
    around the holidays and if going to town at night.Has about $50 in it to
    appease the predator.If not appeased they would be in big trouble
    though.
    Goodbye everyone.Time to take a few more months off.
    Oldfivetango
    Keep on keeping on.

Images

These canes have flasks in them. Once you get robbed you can have a drink and a cigar.

http://www.fashionablecanes.com/flask-canes.html
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Journal Entries
    Images

If you are going to hike you need to consider the "what-if" of being assaulted. It is very naive to think it won't happen to you. Many of us have read of the assaults along the AT. However, I believe the statistics are in favor of the peaceful hiker. None-the-less, we all make a choice. Whether it is to go out with actually no self defense "measures", be they cp, pepper spray, knife, gun, etc., or with something, -we ARE making a choice. But we do this whenever we leave our home. We all measure the level of threat we believe we will face that day. Usually, with most of us we think the "threat level" to our personal safety is nill (if we think about it at all). Well, it happened to my family and it was completely un-expected and "out of the blue". For this reason I do not naively assume nothing will ever happen, not anymore. However, I do not carry a gun and I am not usually anxious about it. However, I constantly check my enviroment and I use my head. That is the greatest weapon (mind, and instincts). Now, when I go hiking I do make a decision to carry a self-defense "tool" because I feel I am very isolated from any help. My choice is pepper spray. I can use it without touching the attacker. No blood on me. I can walk and/or run away and not have to call the police if I do not want to. If I use a gun or knife I would have to call them and be subject to court, police checks, possible arrest, etc. I do not think this would happen with pepper spray. I would only use it when I am in fear of my life, etc. I work at a prison full time. I have seen very, VERY few inmates not fear pepper spray. I have seen VERY few not be completely incapacitated by it. I believe from personal experience that it is a VERY effective tool in spite of many of these nay-sayers. Little spray containers are light and just right for hiking, biking, etc. I think that anyone on the trail, that is attempting to assault me will be put down by it. I don't think he/she is going to be one of these "unaffected inmates". I can carry it on my belt, in my pocket, etc. All that said, I still think the best "weapon" I might have in my "self defense arsenal" is my mind. I can use wisdom to defuse situations and walk away. I can avoid situations where there is apparent turmoil and trouble brewing. I can watch and see and take preventive measures. I am not anti-gun but I have observed friends who carry and they get the mentality that bullets will bounce off them and they can take anything -they are carrying! I think they are not using their best weapon (mind, not the gun). That said I have met CHP carriers who have taught me stuff and who are very responsible. But the pepper spray is my choice.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    These canes have flasks in them. Once you get robbed you can have a drink and a cigar.

http://www.fashionablecanes.com/flask-canes.html
    The text itself is just awesome:

A new flask cane will make the perfect addition to your wardrobe for your next formal event. Sneak a sip in a hidden flask cane, or use a walking cane flask to cater to your friends without sacrificing a touch of style. Perfect for organizational meetings or just as a conversation piece, these canes with flasks are durably made to be used for both purposes. With a reliable bladder or glass vial hidden inside the shaft, each piece is designed to last for years while retaining its beauty and elegance. Look for one with an organizational theme, or an elegant piece that will suit any event. Whether to keep by your side at all times, or just as an accent to your formal wardrobe, you’ll love shopping our cane flasks. Buy one today!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Do you have a super secret lair with ninjas? That's be SWEEEET!
    Yes, I do have a super secret lair. Unfortunately remodeling that sucker is running waaaaaaaaaay over budget and over schedule.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Yes, I do have a super secret lair. Unfortunately remodeling that sucker is running waaaaaaaaaay over budget and over schedule.
    Is that because you have to kill the delivery guys so they can't reveal the local? If so, might I suggest this:

Less mess, and a hell of a lot more fun!

Images

Did for a while, but all the dead delivery guys sitting in brown vans with the motor running was drawing attention to the PRP* so I had to start going and getting my own stuff.

* PRP = perpetual remodeling project

Images

A story was previously posted on this thread but it did not include the ending

This is the the link to the follow up of a retired school teacher jailed, in what would ultimately be later declared self defense.

LW asked in a previous thread "what is the point" In respectful response, I would say this; Its legal to defend yourself with a gun but the problems just begin. The retired teacher lost several years of freedom and has a tremendous legal bill. Would pepper spray and a hiking staff created a better outcome?

http://www.paysonroundup.com/news/20...ks_out_prison/

personally, I just choose to hike with my husband, the former Marine.....

you're right, Amen. We all choose some sort of self-defense "tool".....

I have taken self-defense classes, firearms safety classes, and am licensed CCW in most of the states the AT goes through. I still dont choose to carry a firearm, not because I dont think I need it, but...WOW thats alot of weight to add to an already heavy pack load.

I do carry a knife (not a dagger, double bladed are illegal in many places and Im too lazy to read local laws of every where I travel through). Besides, too easy to cut yourself with a double bladed knife. If you need a knife with your gear (and Im one of those who thinks you do), why carry more than one? Pick a knife that will do all your tasks. you can stab a guy with a single bladed knife...you cant very easily do the odd kitchen/shelter job with a double blade (without extreme caution anyway).

Did for a while, but all the dead delivery guys sitting in brown vans with the motor running was drawing attention to the PRP* so I had to start going and getting my own stuff.

* PRP = perpetual remodeling project
    That's an easy one man! You just leave the van in the shady part of town with the keys in it! Let the perps we are toting guns because of deal with the sticky stuff for ya!

Images

Sounds like the sage voice of experience.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
++ New Posts ++