WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

smak, it just occurred to me BIGLOTS is almost BIGOTS while reading your words "white trash" lol

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

In Cary NC, there is another closest store. I found name brand Crocs for $10.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Never thought about Biglots, lol, funny, because my hiking partners' wife works at one! Cha-ching, maybe we can get a discount, lol.
    "You hiked up a mountain? Why would anyone want to do that?"--question posed to me by friend

Quote Originally Posted by bpitt View Post
    Never thought about Biglots, lol, funny, because my hiking partners' wife works at one! Cha-ching, maybe we can get a discount, lol.
    Wouldn't a discount at BL just equal free?!

I love gourmet and organic foods - I don't though like paying top dollar for anything I buy! Hence places like Big Lots, Grocery Outlet and Trader Joe's are heaven for penny pinchers. At all I find top end items. Out here in the West G. Outlet carries the stuff that didn't sell well or the manufacturer is changing packaging, etc. They get club packaging as well, stuff that didn't move at Costco. Heck, I even see items from Target.

As long as you know the brands and you know what retail is, yes, you can save a lot of money - and eat well. So don't be a "store snob" cause the food is the same!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Love that Ocean State Job Lot! We have one here in Westfield and one down the road a few miles in Southwick. Seems to be a better selection in Southwick, but I rarely go down there. I do a lot of my shopping at OSJL, but do read the expiration dates on things. A lot cheaper than the two rip-off grocery stores in town, especially "Big Lie." There is a Price-Rite grocery store near the Westfield OSJL. Generally good stuff and cheap, but you have to be careful....some of it isn't so cheap.

Thumbs up Cheapo buying guide...

Quote Originally Posted by Surplusman View Post
    Love that Ocean State Job Lot! We have one here in Westfield and one down the road a few miles in Southwick. Seems to be a better selection in Southwick, but I rarely go down there. I do a lot of my shopping at OSJL, but do read the expiration dates on things. A lot cheaper than the two rip-off grocery stores in town, especially "Big Lie." There is a Price-Rite grocery store near the Westfield OSJL. Generally good stuff and cheap, but you have to be careful....some of it isn't so cheap.
    My finances don't allow me to be a buying elitist.

My top of month buying spree stops:

1: Dollar Tree,
    2: Walmart...for what I can't find at Dollar Tree,
    3: Pricerite...for groceries,
    4: Aldi's...also for groceries,
    5: Ocean State Job Lot...great selection of stuff there. Everything from food to hardware. They also carry a lot of camping related stuff. I got a small backpacik tent, several sleeping bags, hiking socks and hiking poles there. I know that some of the stuff is not of the best quality, or lowest weight, but it ok for shorter local hikes.
    6: Assorted flea markets and yard sales.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

I walk, therefore, I am datadog314's Avatar
    Images

We have a store called Dollar Tree here in Rhode Island.......I'm hoping it's a national chain store and that there's some near the trail. Excellent deals on trail foods.

I'm leaving on a four day shake down in a few hours and am supplied with aout $20.00 worth of food..............my food bag is busting at the seams too.
    I'm not trying this trail, with the intention to fail......so, hold your applaudin'.....till I reach Katahdin!

:banana They are everywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by datadog314 View Post
    We have a store called Dollar Tree here in Rhode Island.......I'm hoping it's a national chain store and that there's some near the trail. Excellent deals on trail foods.
    http://www.dollartree.com/custserv/locate_store.cmd

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Maybe I am a grocery store snob, but I just cannot bring myself to even go near a Big Lots. I think that the stores are nasty and dirty, as are the products on the shelves.
    In the Cincinnati area there were dozens of Big Lots. "Mine" is neat / clean, A larger one (Next closest to me) was larger, cleaner etc, Corporate B/L closed it. The Nastiest one IN THE AREA (within about 50 miles or so) is still open. Go figure.
    So I understand if you live near one like the "Colerain Ave Big Lots" I wouldn't shop there either. Oh yea, I don't!!
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Journal Entries
    Images

In Amarillo the Big Lots often sells Cliff Bars at very low prices. Its great. I usually stock up.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

big lots rocks,a great place for bargin trail foodsneo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++