WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

27.4 miles per day is impressive, no? Especially for an unsupported first timer from another country!

Images

Link to his last trail journal entry: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=319765

I'm impressed with the guy. A friend of mine ran into him on June 19th near Bear Mountain. At that time my friend said he was moving very slowly, and complaining of food poisoning from a deli sandwich that he had eaten. He, Carlos, was suffering from diarrhea, and was completely out of water. He still managed to get ahead of my friend. Later in the day, when my friend was ascending Bear Mountain, he again encountered Carlos who had gotten turned around, and was walking in the wrong direction. My friend got him turned around, and again Carlos left my friend in the dust. I guess my point here is that in spite of the problems Carlos seem to be having, he came pretty close to a record. I'm in that camp that believes that if he had a better understanding of the trail and its conditions, he might have been better prepared and had a real shot at a record. He did tell my friend that the AT was much tougher that he had anticipated.

Interesting read on his followup posts:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=322013

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SamXp View Post
    Interesting read on his followup posts:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=322013
    That was an interesting read. Thanks for posting the link. He had quite a journey!

So, with what I read on his journal it appears he broke the record with the start date and end date he entered but the total mileage is not the entire trail?

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelmary View Post
    So, with what I read on his journal it appears he broke the record with the start date and end date he entered but the total mileage is not the entire trail?
    trailjournals calculates the miles based on where you say you are. he could have done every mile, but did not fill out every entry in trailjournals completely.

Images

He did not break the record, but his time was very fast. The fastest time I have seen reported was for Ward Leonard in 1991. I think someone might have reported his time as 60.5 days (rather than the 61 days I found). Some have mentioned that Ward missed some of the trail. Anyhow, there isn't really an official 'best' time, and Galilee Man's time is among the fastest.

The fastest record trip, with no support system was 61 days in 1991, by Ward Leonard. Average speed while moving was reported as 2.8 miles per hour.

Didn't break the record, but an unsupported hike in 65 days is quite an achievement. Nice guy, too.

Quote Originally Posted by rgarling View Post
    He did not break the record, but his time was very fast. The fastest time I have seen reported was for Ward Leonard in 1991. I think someone might have reported his time as 60.5 days (rather than the 61 days I found). Some have mentioned that Ward missed some of the trail. Anyhow, there isn't really an official 'best' time, and Galilee Man's time is among the fastest.

The fastest record trip, with no support system was 61 days in 1991, by Ward Leonard. Average speed while moving was reported as 2.8 miles per hour.
    I've been around for awhile and have known Ward for awhile and though he has issues I've never heard anyone say he missed trail.

I have not seen or talked to Mr. Leonard in many years, but, like Nean, I also have no recollection of him skipping parts of the Trail, nor do I recall anyone ever saying this about him. Ward certainly his critics and his nay-sayers, but of all the things said about him (usually by people who'd never met him, spoken with him, or hiked with him), I can't ever recall anyone accusing him of intentionally skipping pieces of the Trail.

In truth, I think he enjoyed the Trail too much to even consider this.

Quote Originally Posted by SamXp View Post
    27.4 miles per day is impressive, no? Especially for an unsupported first timer from another country!
    i have Gman (carlos)at 33.52 MPD (2,179 miles divided by 65 days)i couldn't find much trail info once he hit N.H. and ME. seems he quit posting? seemed strange to me i thought he avg. 32 mpd up til day 57 or 58 then the last 8 days 40 mpd on some of the tougher trail. NEAN WHERE THE HELL IS MY BEER? just kidding i had a friend bring me some yuengling from Pittsburgh, but it was amber lager,not as good as the premium lager. i'm on a Hamms kick right now! love it, ITS AS REFRESHING AS THE SKY BLUE WATERS! not sold in Nebraska either, i have to drive to MO.
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 07-26-2010 at 22:51.

Images

Regarding Ward Leonard's unsupported speed record.

I am not one to quibble about whether someone hiked the ENTIRE trail, regardless of intention. However, some are, and have reported on this 'problem' with the 'record'. (sorry for all the quotes, but imo there is no real problem or real record). The person who reported this anomaly, went on to say: "I do respect that he was probably the most physically-gifted backpacker on the AT duirng his time." So congratulations to Ward on his multiple, high-speed thru hikes accomplished that year.

Also, congratulations on an incredible performance by Galilee man!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rgarling View Post
    Regarding Ward Leonard's unsupported speed record.

I am not one to quibble about whether someone hiked the ENTIRE trail, regardless of intention. However, some are, and have reported on this 'problem' with the 'record'. (sorry for all the quotes, but imo there is no real problem or real record). The person who reported this anomaly, went on to say: "I do respect that he was probably the most physically-gifted backpacker on the AT duirng his time." So congratulations to Ward on his multiple, high-speed thru hikes accomplished that year.

Also, congratulations on an incredible performance by Galilee man!
    Having met Ward on the trail and chatted with him briefly, I have no doubt that he is scrupulously honest about whatever records he may claim.

Aside from his incredible physical effort, Galilee man's journal entry is the best report on an AT record effort that I have read.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Aside from his incredible physical effort, Galilee man's journal entry is the best report on an AT record effort that I have read.
    I have to agree with this. Galilee man made frequent updates(almost daily) from the trail using wireless technology. It really was cool to read a real time first hand account.

Ward may have been on MEDS at the time,so he dont count?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post
    Ward may have been on MEDS at the time,so he dont count?
    No body's record "counts." No official body keeps track. No one other than the hiker knows how many short cuts were taken. What meds may have been taken.

As far as I'm concerned every claimed record is as good as any. And equally meaningless to my mind. Trails are delightful places to enjoy for days, weeks, even months and years. They have too many variables to make good race courses.

Speed hikers essentially are challenging themselves to see how fast they can make it between two famous mountains under conditions that are never the same twice.

I applaud those that attempt that challenge, And equally applaud those that meander down the trail, exploring the overlooks, getting to know the history, the wild plants and creatures, and the people of the lands through which the trail passes.

Weary

Images

"If I could say something to all Americans, you have an incredibly great country, cherish it!!!! I regret somewhat that I did not stop a little longer at some of the more breathtaking locations."

Thought this was the best line from the whole thing...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    No body's record "counts." No official body keeps track. No one other than the hiker knows how many short cuts were taken. What meds may have been taken.

As far as I'm concerned every claimed record is as good as any. And equally meaningless to my mind. Trails are delightful places to enjoy for days, weeks, even months and years. They have too many variables to make good race courses.

Weary
    There are many in the hiking community that keep track of speed and other records...while not official, this works for me.

Images

This may not be the guy but:

The night of July 1st, I (SOBO) stayed at Galehead Hut some 14 miles north of Rt 3 along with two NOBO’s, Alpine and another. About the time the 3 guests were finished eating dinner and ready for bed, a very cold, wet Israeli ultra lite speed hiker came in. He was cleary not dressed for the occasion – he was drenched and did not have any warm clothes. The temp was in the low 40’s, rain, wind, etc. During the night I got up to use the bathroom and accidently dropped my hat on the floor. I was the third one up in the morning, just as speed hiker guy was leaving. I looked for my hat and could not find it, finally I asked Alpine if he saw a grey hat. Alpine said yea, a grey OR pull over, I put it on the table over…… speed hiker guy must have taken it". Alpine said "he asked speed hiker guy if it was his hat and he said no so I put it on the table". I was bumming because I had to hike up Garfield, Laffeyette and Franconia Ridge with out my hat (although I could make due with my Packa and rain shell if need be). Alpine left about 20 min later and I wished him a great ride north. About 45 min later, in walks Alpine without his pack but with my hat. Alpine ran the guy down (or up as there is a 2500 foot climb northbound). Alpine said it pissed him off that somebody would take someone elses stuff and he runs marathons back home. Alpine went on to say, when he asked him why he took the hat speed hiker guy said "because I needed one". Alpine went on to say, that if he is at all competitive, he hated to get caught and it will really piss him off when I catch him again and pass him today. I was blown away that Alpine would run up a mountain with a full pack and run down only to run up again. I thanked Alpine profusely and he ran out the door – no photo, address or anything.

If this is the same guy I am not impressed at all!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++