WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sham-wow!

The next question is, have you used a Slap Chop?

Linguini, Martini, Bikini!
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Images

lol. that guy did almost convince me to buy the slap chop just b/c of those 3 words
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

I am pleased with my sham-wow. Have any of you guys tried the towels that you can get from the dollar store? They have these towles that are all smashed down to about the size of a silver dollar and then wrapped in plastic. They normally have dinosaurs or other kiddy type stuff on them but they take up hardly any room in your pack, weigh next to nothing and you can get them 3 for a dollar.

Images

I got some off brand shamwows, I think $6 for a bundle of them at Ocean State Job Lot.
    They seem to work. Wiped rain off my tent, used as a camp towel, washcloth, etc. They seem more absorbent than the usual MSR type pack towel, and a lot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeastu View Post
    Have any of ya tried using something like this to get moisture off your tent rainfly before packing it after a rainstorm or heavy dew? I'm looking for something that is lightweight, sucks up the moisture well and rings out/dries well.

I tried some sort of camp towel that was cheap that I found at the gear store and it didn't work well at all. Was wondering if the automotive cloths or the shamwow work better?
    I use the autodry towels. Find them in the automotive section in a plastic cylinder that looks vaguely like a slightly flattened tennis ball can. About $6?

Cut it in half. Only take half, or use the two halves for different purposes. When they dry out, they're like a piece of cardboard. Wet one (counterintuitive), wring, & dry anything. I usually carry mine damp in a ziploc. Throw them in the washing machine to clean.

I don't remember who the poster was, but someone on WB posted about an experiment where he rolled his wet shirt in an autodry towel to remove as much water as possible; weighed it; dried it in the dryer, and weighed it again. I think the difference was a fraction of an ounce. Pretty impressive.

After my last section hike, I thought about buying one for wiping off the inside of my tarp tent shelter (the cotton warshcloth wasn't as efficient as I would have liked it to have been).

Also would replace said washcloth which I use as a towel after I go swimming.

The cheapest place I found them for sale was on Ebay, BTW (I read some horror stories about the exhorbitant shipping and handling charges when you order from the TV ad).

On a somewhat related note, the Sham-Wow guy was arrested recently...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...7092sham1.html

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    But can they soak up soda through a carpet without pressure applied, as advertised
    "Are you getting this, camera guy?"

Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    But can they soak up soda through a carpet without pressure applied, as advertised
    If you will notice, in the commercial, there is a camera change, puddle dissappears... see link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtScSNi_TQI
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

ShamWow or ScamNow?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Journal Entries
    Images

wait, guys with absorbent towels? perhaps some soap ....

Hey maybe you can bathe on the AT now!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    ShamWow or ScamNow?
    I thought it was 'scamWOW'.
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Images

correction, it is actually quite a sham to try to sell a product this way, making it deserve the title "SHAMwow
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

Quote Originally Posted by JoshStover View Post
    I am pleased with my sham-wow. Have any of you guys tried the towels that you can get from the dollar store? They have these towles that are all smashed down to about the size of a silver dollar and then wrapped in plastic. They normally have dinosaurs or other kiddy type stuff on them but they take up hardly any room in your pack, weigh next to nothing and you can get them 3 for a dollar.
    I've tried these and are what I carry in my pack now. They're about the lightest thing I came across. Also tried a couple of different pack towels but found the cheapy super compressed towels the best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++