WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hike Safe Program NH

Hike Safe

A joint effort between the White Mountain National Forest and New Hampshire Fish & Game Department to educate hikers on the inherent risks of hiking and how they can become better prepared before beginning any hike.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Default carry all this??

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Outd...ing_safety.htm

waaaay more than most people i know who hike in the whites very frequently, and who have been hiking there for more than 30 years. before the "saftey" craze swarmed over the U.S. of A.
    i will also venture a guess that it's waaaayy more than the proponents of the action discussed here in this thread carry routinely whilst hiking in the whites, therefore i hearby deem the bill/fine to be unreasonable and unruley and nothing more than "the man" flexing unwarranted authority on the hiking population, slowing getting the people used to the "herding" mentality that is passively/agressively being thrust upon us.
    Last edited by Alligator; 08-27-2009 at 15:40. Reason: Copied in from different thread.

Images

p.s.
    note to all the A.T. thru-hikers, as of now you've been warned, carry 1 pair of long wool pants on your trip through nh or you'll be fined, for "reckless behaviour"
    Last edited by Alligator; 08-27-2009 at 15:40. Reason: Copied in from different thread.

Someone brought them halfway, quit their hike and left these behind for someone who was less prepared.

Far as I can tell the kid followed most of their "Rules for a safe Hike" except the never hike alone part.

I'm sorry.....how many of the members here have never gone on a day hike alone?

I'm sure some people ALWAYS hike with someone else, but for those of us that do solo trips...I guess NH is too difficult for us.

Have at it and the comments can be sent to the people running the above program!
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Images

Wow! If you don't take a toothbrush for an overnight trip you are being irresponsible.

Actually he's calling me on Tuesday...I'll mention it

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Wow! If you don't take a toothbrush for an overnight trip you are being irresponsible.
    It doesn't say that Lyle. It's recommended on an overnight. Great try at objectivity though!
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

On the other hand, if you get a cavity and call a helicopter in for it you will very likely get charged. A LOT.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Wal Mart has you covered on the First aid and repair kit...been waiting to use this picture

It's about...4 inches deep by 20 inches long and 12 inches tall. Might not be good for ultra lighters...just the ultra prepared

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    On the other hand, if you get a cavity and call a helicopter in for it you will very likely get charged. A LOT.
    Was it a thread on here, or an article I read...I forget but some guy called for a helicopter rescue because he sprained or broke his thumb while hiking....they just refuse the service to anyone that is able to walk out under their own power and are not under serious medical duress.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor dave View Post
    p.s.
    note to all the A.T. thru-hikers, as of now you've been warned, carry 1 pair of long wool pants on your trip through nh or you'll be fined, for "reckless behaviour"
    it said wool or synthetic, which from what i've seen on all my hikes, most carry some type of thermal long pants.

seriously, is the 10 essentials really that much?? i'm not saying the amount that Scott was charged is right, but is it really that hard to carry whats on the 10 essential list??

I think he was carrying most of the 10 essentials that are on that list, if not all of them. Including an emergency bivvy sack that he slept in for two nights.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    It doesn't say that Lyle. It's recommended on an overnight. Great try at objectivity though!

But the point is, that they are leaving everything vague. I hope when Homer talks with them, he gets a hard and fast list of what are truly the essentials for being considered responsible in F&G's eyes. They are publishing this as a list of what is recommended to be responsible, but where will the line be drawn? Obviously it is a much higher standard than most of us would imagine if Scott was held accountable to the tune of $25,000 for being negligent.

Images

But the point is, that they are leaving everything vague. I hope when Homer talks with them, he gets a hard and fast list of what are truly the essentials for being considered responsible in F&G's eyes. They are publishing this as a list of what is recommended to be responsible, but where will the line be drawn? Obviously it is a much higher standard than most of us would imagine if Scott was held accountable to the tune of $25,000 for being negligent.
    maybe it wasn't so much what he was or wasn't carrying, but maybe it was the amount of miles he was attempting for a dayhike in the conditions that were up there. who knows really? until someone can get a hard fast answer as to why he was considered negligent, there really aren't any answers.

It's almost 5. Wife's picking up dinner on the way home. Think I'll have a bourbon A second one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wakapak View Post
    it said wool or synthetic, which from what i've seen on all my hikes, most carry some type of thermal long pants.

seriously, is the 10 essentials really that much?? i'm not saying the amount that Scott was charged is right, but is it really that hard to carry whats on the 10 essential list??
    so, because you do, everyone should??
    and because you're willing to, everyone should be willing to??
    you're located in nc. do you have a lesser tolerance to cold than say someone in alaska?
    if a person has figured out that they can survive an overnight at say 30 degrees without long pans should they carry them because a gov. agency says they need to?
    the U.S. of A. is freedom of choice no??
    should we go and retrieve all the tea that was spilled into boston harbor now?
    next thing up, the man will be telling you what to wear whilst driving your vehicle, maybe a flame retardant suit, "in case you wind up in a fiery crash"

Let's move on from the issue of Scott's negligence. You have your opinion, others have theirs, and really, at this point nobody's really listening much one to the other, just going back and forth. Take a moment, read over what's on the site, and then discuss it. Redirect your anger into something that like I said, could be forwarded for consideration. There's a pool of experts here, or at least we all think so.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wakapak View Post
    maybe it wasn't so much what he was or wasn't carrying, but maybe it was the amount of miles he was attempting for a dayhike in the conditions that were up there. who knows really? until someone can get a hard fast answer as to why he was considered negligent, there really aren't any answers.
    friends of mine hike 30 mile dayhikes in the winter in the whites, are they reckless?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++