WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    2010 complete

Were they camping? They were found in the parking area/car. Is the campground or the parking lot a "popular hangout for students" ?

Horrible.

2010 complete

and sad indeed.

Images

Speaking of road crossings. There was a guy that "didnt fit the bill" at the road crossing at "elk garden" on our trip a couple weeks ago. He was driving a light blue late 80 early 90 toyota celica packed to the rim with odds and ends, and had michigan plates. He was looking for the road up to whitetop mountain. He asked for directions from me and a older gent that was sitting at the rest area by the road. He then proceeded to look at the map on the trail head sign for a long time. I asked the older gent that was sitting there if he thought that dude was shady....he agreed. I later warned a female solo heading north of the guy and told her that he didnt "fit the bill"...she was very thankful. When he disappeared we did too....
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Jayboflavin04 View Post
    Speaking of road crossings. There was a guy that "didnt fit the bill" at the road crossing at "elk garden" on our trip a couple weeks ago. He was driving a light blue late 80 early 90 toyota celica packed to the rim with odds and ends, and had michigan plates. He was looking for the road up to whitetop mountain. He asked for directions from me and a older gent that was sitting at the rest area by the road. He then proceeded to look at the map on the trail head sign for a long time. I asked the older gent that was sitting there if he thought that dude was shady....he agreed. I later warned a female solo heading north of the guy and told her that he didnt "fit the bill"...she was very thankful. When he disappeared we did too....
    you call a LEO? Better safe than sorry. And, could've been that the guy really did just need help and an officer might havew been able to provide. Just a thought.

Images

Default so sad

Needless end to two promising lives. Sadness

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chefjason View Post
    you call a LEO? Better safe than sorry. And, could've been that the guy really did just need help and an officer might havew been able to provide. Just a thought.

No didn't call a LEO. I had sh$$ for cell service on that stretch....but I did just get that heeby geeby gut feeling from him. He very well could have been site seeing and just needed directions. But as I have read in the past here on WB....go with you gut instict when you encounter these situations.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Images

No didn't call a LEO. I had sh$$ for cell service on that stretch....but I did just get that heeby geeby gut feeling from him. ....
    So... did you at least take his photo and one of his car and license plate? Did you go over and chat with him to get a story to share with police later, if your heeby geebies turned out accurate?

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

2010 complete

rm, in the past, my gut instinct has never told me to go chat with one that I have heeby jeebies .

so sad,my condolences to their families.....
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

leaving in the morning for a 10 hike in that area. hope like hell whoever it is isn't on the trail.

Images

Default Cell coverage and incident reporting

I had [poor] cell service on that stretch...
    Quote Originally Posted by GrubbyJohn View Post
    Leaving in the morning for a hike in that area.
    Anyone know if good cell service is available in that general area and/or who provides the best service available?

For information about reporting an incident, see ATC's Reporting an Incident on the A.T.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am a conceal carry license holder and 75% of the time do carry, not to look tough, not to make a statement but to protect my, my family, and others. It's not the weapon that is the issue, you could kill someone with a popcan with the top torn off but they don't want to out law them. but really, these two people are the issue and their families. the person who did this is the problem and those who think like them. don't hate the weapon, hate the mentallity of stupid little minded people.

I don't think this had anything to do with hiking, and the fact the trail passes through the area could be a coincidence.
    http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/news...nchburg/18973/

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Anyone know if good cell service is available in that general area and/or who provides the best service available?

For information about reporting an incident on the A.T., see ATC's Reporting an Incident on the A.T.
    I read a news report that said coverage was poor and that Sprint provided cell phones with better coverage to the officers.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries
    Images

i'm new to this - what is a leo????

Images

Default leo

local enforcement officer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I read a news report that said coverage was poor and that Sprint provided cell phones with better coverage to the officers.
    Are we referring specifically to the SW Virginia AT corridor when praising Sprint coverage or is given high regard through the entire trail ?
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Are we referring specifically to the SW Virginia AT corridor when praising Sprint coverage or is given high regard through the entire trail ?
    I really don't know about the corridor other than what was said. I'm not sure even if they may have done something to boost the phones or provided select models? The statement was just a little piece of the story. There are threads on whole trail coverage if you search the site.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I really don't know about the corridor other than what was said. I'm not sure even if they may have done something to boost the phones or provided select models? The statement was just a little piece of the story. There are threads on whole trail coverage if you search the site.
    Caldwell is down in the valley, and there is very little signal there from any carrier. On top of the ridge (on the AT) you can occasionally get some kind of Sprint signal. Verizon serves the area but it is even iffier. I use Virgin Mobile, which rides on Sprint, and I never count on service anywhere away from the main roads.
    Jaywalke
    SW Virginia

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++