WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Big Guy sleeping bag and other questions

Sleeping Bag
    Hey all, my brother and I are joining the thru hiking class of 2010 (GA-March), and I'm trying to decide on a sleeping bag. I'm over 200 lbs with broad upper body. Sleeping bag suggestions anyone? Always trying to cut cost and weight) when possible, however unwilling to sacrafice a good nights sleep. Was looking at Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32, Campmor 20' down as well as reading a million threads. Problem is that i live in NJ so there is not exactly an abundance of outfitters where i can try these bags out for fit. If anyone could give me insight/suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Stove:
    Was thinking Jet Boil. Is there anything I could do with a MSR pocket rocket and a 1 liter pot i could not do with a jet boil?

Rain Pants:
    looking at marmot precip. My question....will I use them or send them home first chance I get?

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jbrecon2 View Post
    Sleeping Bag
    Hey all, my brother and I are joining the thru hiking class of 2010 (GA-March), and I'm trying to decide on a sleeping bag. I'm over 200 lbs with broad upper body. Sleeping bag suggestions anyone? Always trying to cut cost and weight) when possible, however unwilling to sacrafice a good nights sleep. Was looking at Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32, Campmor 20' down as well as reading a million threads. Problem is that i live in NJ so there is not exactly an abundance of outfitters where i can try these bags out for fit. If anyone could give me insight/suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Stove:
    Was thinking Jet Boil. Is there anything I could do with a MSR pocket rocket and a 1 liter pot i could not do with a jet boil?

Rain Pants:
    looking at marmot precip. My question....will I use them or send them home first chance I get?

Mont-Bell Ultralite Super Stretch series is really excellent. I weigh more than you do and it is really comfortable.

I wasn't really crazy about the Big Agnes series, I thought they were too confining and a hassle to put the pad in the bag sleeve.

I sent the Marmot pants home, but I do use the jacket.

Stove........whatever works for you.
    Georgia Shuttling Website www.atsurvivordave.com

Images

Sleeping Bag

Stove:

Rain Pants:

Live in NJ? Take a pilgrimage to Campmor and try on as many bags as interest you, make it a road trip if you have to.

hey krabs, it is still about two hours away....has anyone been there and is it worth going? The picture of it on the website looks small, and thought they probally dont have nearly the selection as online.

Images

hey krabs, it is still about two hours away....has anyone been there and is it worth going? The picture of it on the website looks small, and thought they probably dont have nearly the selection as online.
    I haven't been, but if I only lived a couple hours away I wouldn't think twice. Heck, I usually drive 2 hours to hike. Their site says the store has most of what's online and more. If they had half the bags they have online, it would still be more than 100 different models, you could always call em up and ask if they have the ones that interest you. You'll probably break even gas vs. shipping. Then again, you'll have NJ sales tax at campmor that you wouldn't have with online vendors.

I Gotta Get out of Here!! Foyt20's Avatar
    Images

You could spend a day (Literally at least 6 hours) walking around campmor and not see everything. It is a mecca of outdoor stuff. Or there is REI in Marlton NJ that has a good selection.

I've got a MH Phantom 32 that I can fit in, and I'm 250. I'm not sure if I would pay full retail for these bags. They are nice, but not that nice, IMO.

Images

I use a Western Mountaineering Megalite, which is a wide cut 30-F rated bag. I'm 210, and I wear a 44-long jacket. The bag fits well and still allows some room for a down jacket to loft up inside for colder nights.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Have to agree that the best advice is to head to an outfitter and try out some bags. I too am a big guy, and I thought that I would have problems finding a good sleeping bag, especially any kind of mummy. Went to the local outfitter and was able to try a couple out -- get in them and zip them up, etc.

Right now I am planning to buy a Eureka Casper. A 15 degree synthetic fill bag, that weighs 2 lbs 15 ounces and has a stuff size of 8.5 inches by 12.5 inches. That, and its $80 at Campmor.com

And if you do try out some bags, make sure to get the exact name and size you tried if they are close to good. Obviously get the dimensions if possible. If not, come home and look them up. Then you know what size works and doesn't. Would make shopping from your key board way easier to get size that works without surprises. I say road trip to REI and Campmor, most important size choice to make, outside of pack and boots.

I actually do have an REI quite close to me that I have been spending alot of time at. The problem is that this REI is in NJ, so they carry signifigantly less in the way of backpacking stuff than some other ones. I was asking one of the employees, and he said they are hesitant to carry too much in the way of interest too a thru hiker becasue that stuff doesnt sell to the average weekend warrior crowd they get. They have shifted more to bikes and things like that. If I am planning a 6 month hiking trip I guess the least I could do is take the two hour drive to campmor since it is a Mecca of american outdoor stores.

i also am a big guy 240lbs i bought a mountain hardwear switch 20 it is a 20 deg bag but the best part is that it has another zipper that unzips ond opens up another prob 5 inches more not expozing anything it is just a built in expantion it work great for me and give plenty of room. if i remember i think it was only $125 look it up another good option

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I use a Western Mountaineering Megalite, which is a wide cut 30-F rated bag. I'm 210, and I wear a 44-long jacket. The bag fits well and still allows some room for a down jacket to loft up inside for colder nights.
    +1 on the Megalite. A 2 hour drive is too far? Geez, I drive that far to eat some times. My daughter's doctors are 5 hours away. You need to get out of Tinyland more often.

I'm a BIG fan of my Marmot Sawtooth Extra Wide. I'm 6'3'' and was 310 lbs when I started my thru attempt -- fit great. I'm currently about 230 and still love the bag. I recommend it to all the big boys out there.
    - AT: Springer to Daleville (714.3 miles) in 2007
    - Bibbulmun Track: End-to-End (600 miles) in 2008

Images

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    A 2 hour drive is too far? Geez, I drive that far to eat some times. My daughter's doctors are 5 hours away. You need to get out of Tinyland more often.
    Come on, you know Texas is different.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

JBRecon,
    I work in Bridgewater and go to Campmor a couple of times a year - it is WORTH the trip.
    Don't go on Sunday - Everything is closed due to the blue laws (I think it might be Bergen County)

I have a Marmot Sawtooth X-Wide that I bought on a visit there 3 years ago. I then bought the Mont-Bell SS #2 about 6 months later - I like the Sawtooth...I love the Mont-Bell. Mont-Bell is more costly than the Sawtooth, but almost a pound lighter and roomier. It is not built as sturdy, though.

FWIW, I used to be 330# 6;1" and very broad shoulder/broad chest from years of weightlifting. Both bags fit very well. The Mont-Bell seems warmer though as it pulls into you so there is less vacant space in the bag to heat up.

You will find many other things at Campmor and there are always closeouts and non-advertised discounts. Also they have more brands there than they list in their catalog. Many Tents and sleeping bags. Bike Gear, Paddling gear and clothing. I have never been much impressed with their backpack line.
    sorry for the digression...but....
    I also always find at least one item with the wrong price on it - Sometimes I take it to checkout and buy it. Last time there was Kelty Yukon with a price tag on it of $25.99. I picked it up and walked around with it for about 20 minutes deliberating as to whether I wanted to get it and resell it. I decided not to get it and took it back to backpacks Dept and pointed out the pricing error to the clerk, who got a little short - quickly telling me I couldn't have it at that price...
    Anyways, it pays to walk around and look at everything....
    Good luck
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The bag that fit my 270 plus hubby was the Big Agnes Zirkel. He loves it.

Like my pocket rocket very much. Used it the whole way.

I found rain pants helpful early on and in NH and ME. I might have them at least in the Whites and southern ME. Other than that, no need. And precip is not necessary, a cheaper brand will do.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

hey krabs, it is still about two hours away....has anyone been there and is it worth going? The picture of it on the website looks small, and thought they probally dont have nearly the selection as online.
    Campmor is pretty HUGE as outdoor stores go, and they have little odds and ends that a lot of others don't carry which can be found in various nooks and crannies of the old converted warehouse. Next to LL Bean in Freeport, I'd rather shop there (in person, at least ) than any other major outfitter).

If you want to fry food on the Jetboil, you'll have to get a frying pan adaptor and some sturdier fold out legs which they also make (I think it's a kit). The stove is very efficient in the wind, which stoves that don't have the built-in windscreen and heat exchanger tend not to be. Cook out of the wind and most cannister stoves will work fine (hint- if you use a closed cell foam pad you can use it as a windbreak in modest winds. Just make sure there'a a rock or similar item as a spacer between the pad and the stove because closed cell foam can melt and burn.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Ever think of trying out a quilt? There are many pros-don't have to worry about fitting in, can leave half on or leave a leg out on cooler nights, are lighter, etc. and as far as cooking goes, ever looked into alcohol stoves? lightweight and virtually free, then you can invest the money saves into a nice ti pot
    "The best way to spend your life is to build something that will outlast it."

Images

Montbell Super Stretch Down Huggers
    http://www.montbell.us/products/list...=all&cat_id=28

or

Jacks R Better Large Quilts
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Large%20Family.htm
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++