WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Friends of Bill W.

This is kind of one of those questions that you hate to ask, but kind of need to for personal sanity...if there are any friends of Bill W. that have done a thru-hike or long sections and have made this work, could you please PM me with some info. Much appreciated, Thanks

Bill W. ?........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sarahgirl View Post
    This is kind of one of those questions that you hate to ask, but kind of need to for personal sanity...if there are any friends of Bill W. that have done a thru-hike or long sections and have made this work, could you please PM me with some info. Much appreciated, Thanks
    PM has been sent
    Sailor

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Bill W. ?........
    AA support groups

Images

This should help... It was previously disscussed here

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47221

"dirt"
    "All that is important is this one moment in movement. Make the moment vital and worth living." Martha Graham

Thanks guys

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

I was just on a cruise and on their bulletin board spot for group meetings, there was one for Friends of Bill W., I was tempted to visit it thinking it was a sexy party. I'm glad I didn't go!
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Lol! No definitely not the fun you were probably looking for, but probably some pretty cool people to meet

You will most likely be able to find meetings or support in most of the trail towns you pass through. Probably a good thing seeing as how this is where the greatest temptation will be. Beer seems to be the first thing on many hikers minds coming into town. I have met a few hikers that were attempting to use the trail to quit drinking or smoking. At times you might feel like a vegan in a butcher shop.

Yeah, I really need to get some contacts and meeting schedules so I have a good idea of how to use my time wisely, my sister is getting married in July and obviously cant miss that. I had originally given myself 6 months, down to 5 now. I would like to plan my mail drops and meetings in the same towns, if at all possible. I will probably just have to give in to the fact that I will more than likely have to "wing it"...and yes I'm sure there will be plenty of times I will feel like a vegan in a butcher shop

Images

Sarah,

It's actually pretty easy to avoid the partyhikers. You'll leave them in town, hung over, as you head out on the trail the next day.

The larger towns will have meetings. Get a local contact number and someone will pick you up.

Good luck.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

It works if you work it!

Images

Read from the bottom of page 100 to 103 in the 4th addition of the big book. Back when AA first started, meetings weren't what they are now. By all means protect your sobriety. Only you are the one who knows how safe you are. I did a section hike of NH with two buddies of mine who brought a bottle of crown royal. I don't drink, they do. It is as simple as that. Just be careful and always remember where you came from.

"want a drink?"
    "No, I'm allergic."
    "Allergic? Really?"
    "Yeah, I break out in handcuffs"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Panchito View Post
    Read from the bottom of page 100 to 103 in the 4th addition of the big book. Back when AA first started, meetings weren't what they are now. By all means protect your sobriety. Only you are the one who knows how safe you are. I did a section hike of NH with two buddies of mine who brought a bottle of crown royal. I don't drink, they do. It is as simple as that. Just be careful and always remember where you came from.

"want a drink?"
    "No, I'm allergic."
    "Allergic? Really?"
    I don't care who you are that here is funny.

Journal Entries

I enjoyed that one myself- and I thought I had heard them all;
    A decade or so ago my eldest daughter and I were camped at Heart Lake in Yellowstone, sitting around a campfire, when a herd of lost young park employees, many of whom were carrying/drinking beers, stumbled in, explained how they had been wandering around lost in the dark for a couple hours, and asked if they could share our campsite. My daughter was very protective of her dad's sobriety and was none too pleased when I said yes of course.
    She was even less pleased when one of the young women, having set up her tent, came to sit beside me on my fireside log and asked me if I'd like a scotch or a beer; but she relaxed considerably when I said:
    "No thanks, I don't drink when I'm sober!"

Quote Originally Posted by Panchito View Post

"want a drink?"
    "No, I'm allergic."
    "Allergic? Really?"

Lol! Yeah I've heard that one, tis a good one.
    Funny thing is I am actually allergic to alcohol, I break out in hives look like a total freak... but nonetheless I drank anyway

"I don't drink while I'm sober" I like that line, may have to borrow it sometime

Images

I'm allergic, I break out in spots....................New York, Phoenix, Boston, L.A., San Antonio.........

I will give you fair warning that meetings are not at all abundant above Hanover. I think you'll be in good spiritual condition. Though after a 18 mile day in the White's and it starts raining temptation could arise.

Images

My concern was not finding meetings, but staying clean on the trail. It wasn't as hard as I feared. When the bottle or pipe started going around the fire I usually just called it a night and went to my hammock. Hikers were very respectful of my lifestyle, as I was of theirs. Incidentally, I was able to get up earlier and fresher than most. I hope the serenity and community of the trail reinforces your recovery, as it has mine...
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Images

Bill Wilson aka Bill W. was born in East Dorset, VT less than a mile from the Appalachian Trail near Manchester Center.

Images

My concern was not finding meetings, but staying clean on the trail. It wasn't as hard as I feared. When the bottle or pipe started going around the fire I usually just called it a night and went to my hammock. Hikers were very respectful of my lifestyle, as I was of theirs. Incidentally, I was able to get up earlier and fresher than most. I hope the serenity and community of the trail reinforces your recovery, as it has mine...

Very much agreed

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++