WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Reports of snakebite

This is the first I have heard of snakebites, and two on the same day? So close together?
    I think I will go back to get the Hiker's name.

A post from the Backpacker forum: Posted By LAPIX
    Rattlesnake warning for CT section of AT
    Posted: Jul 27, 2004 8:28 AM Reply

Hey fellow hikers, Most people are unaware that northwest CT has a high population of rattle snakes. Just yesterday there was 2 rescues, one on Sharon Mountain and one on Bear mountain which I was 20 yards behind the thru hiker and evacuated him to the lot where I was parked. This time of year is hot humid and small creeks are dry. Be careful over this way, it's a costly mishap and worse it can cost you your life.

Images

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by 2XL
    .... Be careful over this way, it's a costly mishap and worse it can cost you your life.
    From a snake bite? Really? A full-grown athletic adult? I didn't know that!

How many deaths on the AT have there been from snake bites?

Rain Man

Images

I was just on Bear on Sat. and I must say I had the creeps about rattllers for some strange reason, which I have never had before. Between bears and snakes the hike in a fog days are gone I guess
    Camel John

Long Trail '04
    Images

I believe it.

I was on Sharon Mtn in CT a few weeks back and saw a 4-foot rattler ready to strike at the next unsuspecting thing to come along the trail. Luckily it wasn't me.

It was not my post that said it could end your life.
    From everything I have read on snakebite,
    I think a full grown healthy adult would fair well after a snakebite if treated properly, IE: patient stablized and risk of shock reduced.(that cut and suck treatment causes more damage in most cases, as does the tornequet (sp?)technique.)
    I think the elderly and children are most at risk.
    There are many on this site that could give us the info on how to deal with this situation properly.

[QUOTE=!

How many deaths on the AT have there been from snake bites?

.[/QUOTE]
    I think I read on this site that there has never been a reported death from a rattlesnake bite.
    I will do a search and confirm.

[QUOTE=2XLI think I read on this site that there has never been a reported death from a rattlesnake bite.
    I will do a search and confirm.[/QUOTE]

I don't know that anyone keeps a statistic regarding snake bite deaths on the AT. However, rattlesnake bites are always potentially lethal, even in healthy athletic men. Any rattlesnake bite deserves a trip to the ER, and usually at least a night in an ICU. If antivenom is required, a much longer treatment is usually necessay.

Even the antivenom has risk of lethal effects.

Bill...

Two weeks ago I was hiking the Jersey section of the trail. I was hiking up to the fire tower just north of the Mohican Center. It had just gotten dark, but I could still see fairly well (so I thought), the trail was pretty easy, and I was almost to the fire tower. I was just bringing my right foot forward when I looked down. A large snake was lying across the trail, head and tail in the bushes. As I was placing my right foot back down to turn around, I heard the one sound you do not want hear to hear, an extended rattle. Needless to say, I retreated back down the trail. I did of course take a picture, on 6X zoom, but it came out very poorly due to weak flash. I keep forgetting to look it up, but I suspect it was a timber rattlesnake (?) The flashes caused the snake to move off, and I took a wide berth around it on the opposite side of the trail. And I put my headlamp on too.

POSTED BY : LAPIX on Backpackerforum
    Re: Rattlesnake warning for CT section of AT
    Posted: Jul 27, 2004 9:03 AM Reply

Jim Hailey and he called from Hartford Hospital last night and said they were keeping him for observation. There was a crew of AMC trail volunteers that we reached and had them call the EMT's. We met them at the lot and he was taken to Sharon Hospital and then helicoptered to Hartford. I told him to call me this morning to check in and so far nothing.

He is back on the trail again.
    I wonder who gets the bill for the chopper?
    Last edited by 2XL; 07-28-2004 at 08:10. Reason: Name spelling

Default Copperheads

Copperheads as well. I live ten miles from Rockfish gap and have friends in the ER(s) local to the trail. I was told two weeks ago that they had 7 copperhead victims the previous week. I don't know if these were AT hikers or not but came from the same forested areas. Although less likely to be lethal their bites do an immense amount of tissue damage. (different toxin than rattlers, same as brown recluse spider, I think) As well, copperheads are somewhat more agressive, so rban legend has it, and don't have the early warning feature of rattlers. Probably worth carrying a Sawyer pump, effective and light weight, during the summer. They can remove 30% of the venom if used immediately. BTW some statistics show that 25% of pit viper bites do not inject venom and defensive bites, as opposed to hunting bites, inject less venom but it pays to be prepared AND aware. Ditch the mp3 player for a while.
    Disclaimer: I'm NO expert but suggest the need for some research before heading out. This season seems to be full of local snake stories.
    FC
    http://newyorksearchandrescue.org/do...snakebite.html
    This is a "first aid" link that may be of interest.
    http://www.whmentors.org/saf/snakes.html
    Rattle snake specific site
    http://www.snakesandfrogs.com/scra/snakes/copperh.htm
    copperhead data
    http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests...copperhead.htm
    copperhead data
    Last edited by frankcornbread; 07-27-2004 at 14:27. Reason: addition of links

On the contrary, I have found copperheads less agressive than rattlesnakes.

Default Water mocassins

I've seen several black snakes moving between bog or water bridges and brooks--any identification on those?

Default water mocs

Quote Originally Posted by ridgewalker777
    I've seen several black snakes moving between bog or water bridges and brooks--any identification on those?
    state expert told me they're most likely Northern water snakes, non-venomous but armed with several rows of teeth for grabbing prey, and quite aggressive when confronted. Will bite over and over. Of course, no venom.

Default Black water snakes

Thanks a lot for the info. It would be a scary experience if it came to that...

Maybe we need snake bells.

Copperheads are pit vipers like Rattlesnakes and inject similar types of toxins. Both Rattlesnake and copperhead bites (as well as Water Moccasin/Cottonmouth) bites work in pretty much the same way and do lots of tissue damage as well as causing neurotoxic effects. Bite placement has a lot to do with lethal potential. A bite to the neck or face will put the toxins pretty quickly into the heart and brain where they will do the most damage. Bites into the legs and hands are less serious as the toxins will disperse into the tissues and muscle of the bite site more readily. It'll hurt like hell, but it is unlikely to be lethal.

All snakes swim fairly well, but some are more at home in the water than others. To the best of my knowledge, water mocassins are not an issue along the AT. I have seen plenty of Rattlesnakes and Copperheads though. Both can be found up into Massachusetts and in limited numbers in Vermont and New Hampshire, especially along the Connecticut River Valley. Exposed outcroppings of rock are likely spots in the morning as the snakes try to take on body heat from the sun, they will move to the shade in the afternoon to stay cooler.

Snakes don't want to waste their resources. They know they can't kill you and eat you, so they bite in self defense, not wasting too much venom in the process, they might want to eat a bit later and wasting venom on your hide doesn't help them get that job done. So as many as 2 out of 3 defensive bites will not envenomate. They will still hurt like heck (some venom gets in there and they penetrate a good inch or so), but they will not be life threatening unless you are allergic to the proteins contained in the trace amounts of venom. Even venomous defensive bites rarely involve lethal doses for an adult human (again unless you are allergic). But you could end up seriously messed up for a while.

Sawyer extractors can really help reduce the severity of a snakebite, spiderbite or beesting, but you've got to get right on it. Getting the hell away from the offending critter is a good thing. It won't eliminate the problems, but obviously the less venom in your body, the better. The question is do you want to spend the weight and space to carry one?
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

The black water snakes could also be a water moccason better known as cotton mouth, They are lethal. I have seen a few rattlers on bear mountain this year, kinda weird haven't seen any in 5 years there???

There are no water moccasins in Ct. They are inhabit the southern states. The black snakes could be the eastern racer, black rat snake, or a water snake. The racer has a glossy black body that is long and slender with a white throat. The northern water snake is generally dark brown and has dark markings that sometimes make it seem black. They have a thick bodies. The rat snake when young have a dull brown body w/ dark markings as they get older they look black. Their underside is a yellowish color. They all inhabit the same areas.

The vast majority of snake bites are on the hand and also involve alcohol. I have unintentionaly walked within a foot of rattlers "coiled up and ready to strike" over a dozen times and only was made aware of it when they rattled behind me. I firmly believe that if you do not try to pick them up or step on them there is very little chance they will bite. Like Iceman said they are well aware they cannot eat you, so why should they bother unless you bother them.

Long Trail '04
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ripple
    There are no water moccasins in Ct.
    Not true. I grew up in CT and have seen dozens.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++