WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Nice tent for the weight is the Velox 3 dome tent if you can find one. They are just barely out of production.

2 entries, lots of mesh, nice vesibules, good size fly, easy to put up.

Weighs right at 5#

http://www.basegear.com/sierra-designs-velox-3.html

http://www.altrec.com/sierra-designs/velox-3-tent

One on sale.
    Its a shame they stopped making this tent. It is a nice one.

http://www.tentsforsale.org/velox-tent-3

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Ideally, you should be able to find your headlamp in pitch dark with your back teeth floating in less than fifteen seconds.
    That was random, sure it's in the right thread?
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Go to a "3 person" tent. I always use a two person tent just for myself. The extra lb in weight will be well woth it. I never try to skimp on tent size just to save weight.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

If you expect to encounter cold weather, you will be better off with the a smaller tent, because that is less airspace to have to heat up with your bodies.

I have a Big Agnes Seedhouse 2, and I thought it was awsome till I used it for awhile. If you have 2 people in a tent with only one door, it makes it difficult to enter or exit the tent without disturbing the other person. Its especially hard for the person on the side where the door hinges... Something to keep in mind...

Images

I've got about a dozen nights in my Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 3. I really like it. It's similar in features, size and weight to a BA emerald mountain SL3 but a little lighter, and almost a pound lighter than the Mutha Hubba for the same floor space. Two doors, two vestibules, free standing and 40 square feet with good headroom. Here it is for $137

I find the quality to be good, about the same level as kelty if not a bit better. I think it's a good competitor in features, usability and quality to the two walled tents mentioned here at a heck of a lot cheaper.

Storyteller
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    Go to a "3 person" tent. I always use a two person tent just for myself. The extra lb in weight will be well woth it. I never try to skimp on tent size just to save weight.
    Ditto. My supposed two-person tent is an ideal size for me alone. It is big enough to fit two pads side by side, and works OK when Cookie Monster is along. But her non-trail nickname is "Midget." With a regular sized adult, it would be awfully cramped and certainly would leave no room for any gear.

As for all the discussion of weight. Remember, weight is only half of the equation. All weight decisions need to be balanced by consideration of other factors you deem important. If weight were the only consideration, we wouldn't carry water or food (or anything for that matter).

Images

My girlfriend and I use the Big Agnes Copper Spur 3, can't say enough good things about it!! Love this tent!

Images

Ditto, wouldn't use/have a solo tent, too cramped. I always want a tent designed for one more than will be sleeping in it. I use my SD Lightning for solo hiking and an older Eureka 3-man dome expedition tent when my son or someone else joins me.

For a two person team, the six moons design- Lunar Duo at 2.5 lbs is one of the best shelters on the market. Bacon bits and I love ours.

I am not an ultra-light hiker, but don't be fooled. Maybe when section hiking, weight is not important for some. But if your goal is to hike thousands of miles, it is all about the weight. What ever you decide, try to keep the shelter under 4 lbs.

Hike smarter, not harder.

My two person tent is a Quarterdome T3. Rarely carry it though, since I also have a SMD Lunar Solo, and a Tarptent Double Rainbow.

Images

I agree that a tent is a better choice for a couple than two hammocks because you can distribute the weight better between the two of you. I'd go as light as possible which probably means a 2 man tent, even if it means your bag gets a little damp now and then.

It all depends. I've done some long trips with my one person tent, and I'm happy with it as long as it keeps me dry.

Part of your answer depends on how often you plan to use the tent. If you plan to use a shelter frequently, then it's different than using a tent night after night for 6 months.

If you don't already have a 2 person tent, then rent one for a weekend and try it out.

The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

10 x 12 Silnylon Tarp. You can pitch it in about 50 different configurations.

Floorless Tent, Tarp, Rainfly, etc.

Lots of space, little weight.

MSR zoid2 lots of room for two people, two doors. tents mostly mesh with waterproof bathtub floor. less than 5 pounds

Even though I carried my small two person tent(ems) the whole trail, After checking my journals I only used it 9 times! (once at a bluegrass festival) So now I carry only a light plastic tarp. and a poncho just in case the shelter is full. For me its more about the weight.

We always take the Rainshadow II when I backpack with my wife. Plenty of room for us and all of our gear.

It's nice to be able to have the space to keep all your gear inside, gear doesn't get as wet and has less of a tendency to freeze on cold mornings.

It is not meant for 4 season use, so you won't want to pitch on exposed ridges during a storm, but 2.5 lbs makes it a great AT thru-hike tent. I haven't tried any others in that weight range, but I don't think you can go wrong with the 6MD as well the other tarptent designs.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    The Tarptent Rainshadow II is a three person tarptent that weighs 2.5 pounds. The Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo is a humongous two person tarptent that also weighs 2.5 pounds. Either would be great for a husband and wife thru-hike. (We own both. Love 'em.)
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

Quote Originally Posted by Captn View Post
    10 x 12 Silnylon Tarp. You can pitch it in about 50 different configurations.

Floorless Tent, Tarp, Rainfly, etc.

Lots of space, little weight.
    I am comfortable with this type shelter, a 10x10 could be roomy enough. I use a tarp for solo trips, but my wife is so comfortable with the tarptent that she doesn't want to try them.

Another consideration would be shaped tarps. Less flexible, but can be easier to set up and can be more stable/quite with less futzing. Look into pyramids or tipis for bomb proof reliability in bad weather. Oware, Wyoming Lost and Found, Mountain Laurel Designs, ... are just a few companies
    --Edward Payson Weston

PS. A 3 person shelter shouldn't weigh more than 2.5 lbs. There are many good shelters this weight or less. You will really appreciate the lightness after a long ascent.
    --Edward Payson Weston

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynkayak View Post
    PS. A 3 person shelter shouldn't weigh more than 2.5 lbs. There are many good shelters this weight or less. You will really appreciate the lightness after a long ascent.
    And there are many good shelters that weight and more. Perhaps you can be happy living under a tarp or in a tarptent for 4 to 6 months straight; perhaps the original poster and his wife won't.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++