WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

Default How Do I know what pack to get

So i have most of the essentials...stove...sleeping bag....tent...need to get a couple other randoms but my next big purchase is a pack...i dont even know where to begin...Ive been to REI...and Hudson Trail Outfiters...and i dont even konw...so I was thinking about telling WB what my goal was and poss people could steer me in the right direction....

So generally i think ill be doing 2-3 nighters...

my goal is to do a two weeker without having to resupply....

About what size back would i need to get to lets say carry apx 60pds...

i keep hearing that gregory and osprey are the best..i like the osprey with the trampoline back...

about how man litters/cubic inches should my pack be...

i def dont being ultra light being that i wont be doing many thru hikes and mostly 2-3 nighters and some week long trips here and their......so WB where do I begin

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    So i have most of the essentials...stove...sleeping bag....tent...need to get a couple other randoms but my next big purchase is a pack...i dont even know where to begin...Ive been to REI...and Hudson Trail Outfiters...and i dont even konw...so I was thinking about telling WB what my goal was and poss people could steer me in the right direction....

i keep hearing that gregory and osprey are the best..i like the osprey with the trampoline back...

i def dont being ultra light being that i wont be doing many thru hikes and mostly 2-3 nighters and some week long trips here and their......so WB where do I begin

it is all about fit and every model,maker is a little different good step would be go to a outfitter and get fitted so you know what size you take, then try on a few different packs with simulated weight in it, not going to simulate a week on the trail but any obvious cramping points should be pretty apparent, but if your looking for recommendation as ive said in other threads i love my northface crestone 60 its a good size without being gigantic and depending how you pack, 2 weeks of food and fuel and such should not be a problem to fit inside
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    it is all about fit and every model,maker is a little different good step would be go to a outfitter and get fitted so you know what size you take, then try on a few different packs with simulated weight in it, not going to simulate a week on the trail but any obvious cramping points should be pretty apparent, but if your looking for recommendation as ive said in other threads i love my northface crestone 60 its a good size without being gigantic and depending how you pack, 2 weeks of food and fuel and such should not be a problem to fit inside

another thing i would add is avoid really talking about your plans with the people who help you.. their main job is to sell and not only that but up sell " well personaly ive had several friends have problem with this cheaper pack..but now this more expensive one i never hear a complaint about it"... just focus on trying on packs and making mental note to you what models and makes feel good on you
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

Images

Thumbs up you da man

60#, you sir are a mon-is-ter. Only a monster can carry 60# and live... Anything more than say 35# and I'm ready for a nap and a bowl of wheaties!
    Gregory has great service and their websight has sizing information and pack information as to their capacity. I have a Z55 it's good into the 40's but the Baltoro 70 or Palisade 80's go bigger. I get most of stuff on eBay it's cheeper but read the ads thoroughly. Most NWT are older models so you'll need to familiarize youself with their line if you want to save big $$ and get a current pack.
    Miracles; they are by nature unbelievable so the mind must rationalize them or justify God is real.

Images

Default Take a drive over to Harpers Ferry

If I were you, I'd take a drive over to Harpers Ferry and visit the outfitter there. They are familiar with hiking, especially on the AT, and can help you out. They will steer you in the right direction better than someone at REI, in my opinion. You might also want to rethink that 60 lbs. A good Gregory could maybe do that, by why would you want to? An Osprey with the "trampoline back" would have a hard time carrying 40 lbs or so. You sure don't need that much weight for 2-3 days, or even a week, for that matter. So see a good outfitter, like the one in Harpers Ferry, and good luck!

Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikenSalem View Post
    60#, you sir are a mon-is-ter. Only a monster can carry 60# and live... Anything more than say 35# and I'm ready for a nap and a bowl of wheaties!
    Gregory has great service and their websight has sizing information and pack information as to their capacity. I have a Z55 it's good into the 40's but the Baltoro 70 or Palisade 80's go bigger. I get most of stuff on eBay it's cheeper but read the ads thoroughly. Most NWT are older models so you'll need to familiarize youself with their line if you want to save big $$ and get a current pack.
    Ditto on the z55...
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Images

Cant go wrong with ULA Pack.

Unless you are going in midwinter in the far northeast, you really do not need to carry 60 pounds, ever. A two week trip with no resupply maybe 50, less if you watch weight.

Have you considered renting packs for a couple or three trips, then deciding? Or buy from REI and return it if it doesn't suit you. Or you can buy cheap on Ebay and learn what you like before comitting to an expensive pack.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
    Cant go wrong with ULA Pack.
    +1 on ULA. Unbeatable pack, unbeatable service, great reputation, made in the USA.

Well, the wise bit is to get the pack last and you are already there...
    So put all of your stuff inside a strong large trash bag, possibly a white one so that it will become handy as your "liner" as well as several other things you can do with it like protecting your sleeping bag from wet walls, keeping you warm as a vapour barrier or just a groundcloth for the vestibule...
    Now the great unmentioned unknown : food.
    In my case I get by with about 25oz a day , however that does not give you the volume. So get together 3 days of food and multiply that weight/volume for the maximum amount of days you want your pack to carry. Don't forget to add the usual 1 quarter of water plus whatever you need to carry in your particular area between water sources.
    Add your not in use clothing, medical kit, personal grooming and whatever toy you need (camera/MP3/book/game) and you should by now have the volume and the total weight your pack has to handle.
    Keep in mind that the given size in liters/cu inches can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer depending on the liberal use of stretch pockets and extended collars. So fitting all of the above gear inside the pack is better than relaying on specs.
    Most manufacturers have a recommended max weight for their packs, the ULA and Osprey are pretty close to my tolerance.
    This is me with 7 days of food. (about 65 L between the pockets and the pack) . About 30lbs with 2 quarts of water.
    At over 25 lbs I use the Aarn packs, at over 35lbs I consider staying home...

Franco

Ok So OBV i have no concept of weight lol...I went to the ULA website and checked out some of their packs...seem simple and cheap.(they only have 4 packs to choose from so makes it simple enough)..ive also been looking at gregory and osprey...I like the gathering of goods to see what I have and how much stuff will weight...35-40 pds sounds much lighter then 60 pds...I have a 3L (wont be filled with water the whole time but figure its good for camp and washing pots etc...) I have a wisper light international...Marmot Aeros 3...a Lafuma 40 degree bag...and for 3 nights ill only need one change of clothing and pos two xtra pairs of socks...ill def try the out fitters...planning on going down to Harpers Ferry the first weekend of OCtober to do my first overnight trip so ill plan on going to the out fitters then...

Images

Gregory packs are the cats a$$, bomb proof and carry like cadillac's. You just can't go wrong with them...there isn't a pack on the planet I would trade my Baltoro for.

Images

Ok So OBV i have no concept of weight lol...I went to the ULA website and checked out some of their packs...seem simple and cheap.(they only have 4 packs to choose from so makes it simple enough)..ive also been looking at gregory and osprey...I like the gathering of goods to see what I have and how much stuff will weight...35-40 pds sounds much lighter then 60 pds...I have a 3L (wont be filled with water the whole time but figure its good for camp and washing pots etc...) I have a wisper light international...Marmot Aeros 3...a Lafuma 40 degree bag...and for 3 nights ill only need one change of clothing and pos two xtra pairs of socks...ill def try the out fitters...planning on going down to Harpers Ferry the first weekend of OCtober to do my first overnight trip so ill plan on going to the out fitters then...
    Wow. Don't sweat it, my first thread was how much water do you drink wile hiking, I had a poll: how many GALLONS of water do you drink per day less than 3, 3-6, or 7+
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Sincerely,
    The Government

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Tough hiking 2 weeks without a resupply at 1.5 to 2 pounds of food a day, on average (esp for a meaty guy). Why do it unless you must? Have fun at this and limit your pack weight. I only carry max 5 days. 3-4 is better.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Just to let you know, my hubby has the 40 lafuma and he freezes in it unless it is really warm evening (rating good for maybe 55 degrees). And he's huge. No way would I take this in Oct.

Switch to alcohol stove (you can make one) or MSR pocket rocket (if you like simmering, which I do).

Aqua mira is all you need for water.

Only clothing you need is what you need for camp at night so you aren't wearing sweaty stuff and get chilled. Wear same hiking clothes. 2 pairs of good socks is good for 3 days.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Very strong recommendation for ULA. Don't think I've ever heard a complaint about them. Been using a ULA P2 for 5 or 6 years now.

Yeah I went with the Lafuma 40 bc of price....their was only so much $ i could shell out at one time...I just had my Lafuma in Yellowstone this summer...got down to 20 and I was freezing...in the mid 30's with warm clothing I was ok...So im hopeing in October In the MD area it dosent seem to drop below 35 on a warmer night so im gonna have to keep up with weather conditions...Blissful some good advice thx you...I have wild and crazy dreams right now but as I learn more I realize I can accomplish the same dreams through easier means...for example resupplying once or twice during a two week trip and still being able to find the solitude of the woods...I was just looking at the Gregory ZZ65 and like it better then the 55 bc of the front loading pocket...also how usefull is a sleeping bag compartment...

"Focus on the Journey not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an zctivity but in doing it"

Images

you may want to turn spellcheck on.. its Z(not ZZ)55 and an "activity"
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

so after reading various posts ive come up with these 3 packs

Osprey Atmos 65
    Gregory z65
    ULA Circut

all seem relatively same size. Osprey and Gregory apx same price ULA much cheaper but dosent have the extra zipers and pockets...The Osprey i like because it is lighter the Gregory and has more zipper access to pack....what are some of WB' suggestions

their is spall chek on BW im a piss poor speller sorry WB

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++