WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cool AT Breeze View Post
    Danna is now Mystery Ranch. They still make load haulers.
    Old dana will haul the load of any new pack or old....at half the price on ebay.

Images

Agree with general comments, have been as high as 52 pound pack in early March, 10-25 degrees for a week, switched to a ULA pack and sub 35 pounds, resupplying is fun, easy and I am DONE with really heavy loads, too slow, too much stress on this "aging" body & bones.

Part of the fun to me is seeing how LITTLE I can bring and what I really need, skimp on the food & the clothes, Aqua Mira saved 14 ounces vs water filter, etc etc etc

Lighter is better, heading out in 2 weeks for 2 week hike, will start with about 30 lbs all in (food and water), happier walking EVERY step and MUCH easier Ups & Downs!

Images

Thumbs up Gregory Packs

It looks like the big diff tween the Z55 & 65 is basic size and the 65 zips the bucket pocket shut. The 55 has a side zipper so you can access below the top without unloading. I'm considering adding a carry bag under the pack like carrying a tent ( I hammock) for some winter space. Or get a a Baltoro or a Palisade. And like someone else said they carry like a dream BUT only if the size is right. BTW there's one on eBay selling in a few min size med sitting at just over $100 right now...
    Miracles; they are by nature unbelievable so the mind must rationalize them or justify God is real.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

All this talk of 50-60 lb weight makes my legs ache. ugh...

You'd be better off taking time in a town to resupply or do other thigns to pare down the weight or have to get off early because of injury...
    One trip up a mountainside and you will wish you had 31 lbs on your back.

And agree- cheap doesn't mean better. The pack has to FIT you. Or again, a
    miserable time to be had with sore and aching hips, shoulders, back, chafing, etc

I only say these things because I have been there.

Why be miserable when there are other ways?

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Don't make a final decision without considering the Granite Gear line. The Vapor Trail is not quite enough space for me. I have a Nimbus Meridian (3800 ci) which is my favorite pack right now.

I also have a Golite Perspective (roughly 4000 ci and no longer made); a Gregory Keeler for longer trips, more than 5-6 days, with no resupply (4800 ci and also discontinued); and a Mountainsmith Auspex (about 3700 ci).

I keep all of these for specific reasons/types of hikes, but the Nimbus Meridian is the best all around pack for me.

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

hum...the heavy load thing dosent sound appealing....i have a framless bag which is 2,500 cu/in big...im going on my first over night this weekend...one nighter just to get my feet wet...i wont be carrying much bc im only going for one night..tent...speeping bag...sleeping pad..stove..fuel...one cooked meal...small pot...water tablets...eating wear...an xtra long sleeve plus fleece for warmth...and some basic survival stuff...i think after this trip ill have a better sense of what type of pack to buy...ALSO what im hearing is that a comfortable weight (not for a UL but a normal load) is between 30-40 pds food water included...should that be my goal...also where is a ULA outfitter store...REI and HTO dont seel ULA packs..they only have gregory and osprey

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    .......also where is a ULA outfitter store...REI and HTO dont seel ULA packs..they only have gregory and osprey
    ULA packs are available online at their website from December to August of the year. Right now, they're closed for hiking season, but will re-open for business 1 December. You can get ULA packs from existing stock only at Mountain Crossings, Bluff Mountain Outfitters and Mount Rogers Outfitters.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Danna is now Mystery Ranch. They still make load haulers.
    that unravel and fall apart... once he sold out to japan, the packs became crap. if he makes it here, it will last forever, but he keeps building companies and selling them and those products are crapola.

I love that ULA took off and are probally all on a trail right now...I like that ULA is american made...so for that reason among other reasons...I think ill go with a ULA now should I get the circut or the catalyst...if you get a biger pack but then decide to do a shorter hike....HOW DOES WEIGHT CARRY in a bag that is bigger then the load packed...hope that question makes sense...does it throw off the comfortableness...also how Am i supposed to test the pack out first with all my gear if I have to order it on the internet and cant try it out first

Images

I love that ULA took off and are probally all on a trail right now...I like that ULA is american made...so for that reason among other reasons...I think ill go with a ULA now should I get the circut or the catalyst...if you get a biger pack but then decide to do a shorter hike....HOW DOES WEIGHT CARRY in a bag that is bigger then the load packed...hope that question makes sense...does it throw off the comfortableness...also how Am i supposed to test the pack out first with all my gear if I have to order it on the internet and cant try it out first
    First, go to a good, reputable outfitter and get your torso properly measured so that you know what size pack to order. This has everything to do with how well your pack fits you and how well it carries your gear. Then try to find someone in your area that has a ULA pack. Try it on, see how well it fits and how well you like it. I fall else fails, take a road trip to MRO in Damascus and get them to fit you while you're there. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to sell you a pack. As to whether you get a Catalyst or a Circuit, it all depends on how much gear you're carrying and how much it weighs.

As you can see in the following YouTube videos, Brian talks about the recommended maximum carry weight and base weight respecively for the Catalyst and the Circuit. But remember, a pack that doesn't hold all your gear is no good to you at all, as is one that doesn't hold your gear comfortably. Personally, I own a Catalyst, but will be purchasing a Circuit as a Christmas gift to myself in December.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hooch if you dont mind me asking...what is the purpose of you buying two ULA packs that to me (a newb) seem the same except circut is lighter and smaller...are you trying to minamize what you carry/weight on the trail...im heading down to harpers ferry this weekend and will check out the harpers fery outfiters....for now bc i dont plan on doing any extended trips im gonna try out my frameless pack for the night...ill make a decision on a pack by this spring so i can hopefully start walking the trail

Images

Hooch if you dont mind me asking...what is the purpose of you buying two ULA packs that to me (a newb) seem the same except circut is lighter and smaller.......
    Exactly! The Circuit is lighter and smaller. I'll be using it for late spring/summer/early autumn trips. My Catalyst is ok for that little bit of gear, but I really don't need a pack that big to hold it all. For me, the Catalyst is better suited for my cool/cold weather gear and the extra insulation that it takes and the extra volume that the extra gear/insulation occupies.

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    that unravel and fall apart... once he sold out to japan, the packs became crap. if he makes it here, it will last forever, but he keeps building companies and selling them and those products are crapola.
    I've got about 2500 miles on my MX Trance. Dirty but still like brand new. I use it to haul beer now. It will let me carry fresh food and a 12 pack about 50 lbs. in to hikers around here.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

I've got about 2500 miles on my MX Trance. Dirty but still like brand new. I use it to haul beer now. It will let me carry fresh food and a 12 pack about 50 lbs. in to hikers around here.
    was it made here?..

Yes Montana.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

well im a school teacher so most of my hikes will be early spring through late Autum...I have no interest in Winter/Cold weather camping...if it gets below 30 at night then its to cold for me...just not my cup of tea...so I guess I should def take that into consideration when buying a pack...thanks hooch...I think my eyes are bigger then what my back can carry....so many packs...so many options...I hope Harpers Ferry Outfiters can guide me in the right direction

Hike smarter, not harder.

Hooch if you dont mind me asking...what is the purpose of you buying two ULA packs that to me (a newb) seem the same except circut is lighter and smaller...are you trying to minamize what you carry/weight on the trail...
    Only two ULA packs Hooch? That's just sad. I use my Circuit for up to a week, and I just found a great deal on a 2009 Conduit that I'll probably use for weekends. I also got a deal on a closeout 2008 Catalyst, I don't know what I'll use it for. Tried to use it for 4 days in northern NM, and still didn't get it filled up into the extension collar. Maybe long winter trips, it's huge. They all carry very, very well though.

Images

I've got 3 ULA packs and can't say enough good about them. The Catalyst was my first and the one I used on the AT. I've been trying to cut pack volume and weight, which is why I've purchased progressively smaller packs from ULA. The Catalyst is a wondrous creation. It will allow you to overload the pack a bit without killing yourself in the process. It also carries just as well nearly empty. If you decide on shorter trips, it won't be a problem and the Catalyst will still be quite comfortable. I've used mine on dayhikes and slackpacks just because it was what I had available at the time; no problems.

It is a great pack and as long as you get the right fit, you'll be very happy with it IMO.
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

Images

.......I hope Harpers Ferry Outfiters can guide me in the right direction
    They should be able to with no problem, one of the best outfitters along the trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    First, go to a good, reputable outfitter and get your torso properly measured so that you know what size pack to order. This has everything to do with how well your pack fits you and how well it carries your gear. Then try to find someone in your area that has a ULA pack. Try it on, see how well it fits and how well you like it. I fall else fails, take a road trip to MRO in Damascus and get them to fit you while you're there. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to sell you a pack. As to whether you get a Catalyst or a Circuit, it all depends on how much gear you're carrying and how much it weighs.

As you can see in the following YouTube videos, Brian talks about the recommended maximum carry weight and base weight respecively for the Catalyst and the Circuit. But remember, a pack that doesn't hold all your gear is no good to you at all, as is one that doesn't hold your gear comfortably. Personally, I own a Catalyst, but will be purchasing a Circuit as a Christmas gift to myself in December.
    Best advice yet. Get a pack that fits well.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++