Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Kilts? What to wear...

So, kilts or shorts? (In the warmer weather) What do you all wear? I used to get bad chaffing whenever I wore shorter shorts, let alone a skirt, but it would be nice to have the freedom of a skirt. So what do you all do? (The guys all seem to be very happy with kilts, and the women seem to like shorts- maybe the way our legs are built?)

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I saw several women out this year on the trail in a hiking skirt.

I picked one up for myself. But I have done fine in shorts from the convertible pants.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Been hiking in a modified skirt - polyester fabric, dries quick and is very comfortable in hot weather. When it gets cooler I tend to wear a cutoff pair of dark colored nylons underneath for an extra bit of warmth and they are lighter to carry than thermals. Skirt found at local op-shop for $2 - would do it again! Shorts are better for butt hiking tho', esp. in places like Maine.

Good luck!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    So, kilts or shorts? (In the warmer weather) What do you all wear? I used to get bad chaffing whenever I wore shorter shorts, let alone a skirt, but it would be nice to have the freedom of a skirt. So what do you all do? (The guys all seem to be very happy with kilts, and the women seem to like shorts- maybe the way our legs are built?)
    In part the difference between men & women "Chaffing" is the way we are built. Women generally have wider pelvises so have less chance for your legs rubbing together, and most guys have "extra bits" to take up more of the already limited space. Add a little heat & well, a ride in a hand basket comes to mind. SO, for guys, the added ventilation of a kilt helps keep stuff cool. Even when I only weighed 130 lbs (a L-O-N-G time ago!) I still had "issues" with my legs rubbing together. BUT, less heat, more fresh air, can't hurt. At least give it a try, see if you like it. Maybe carry a pair of your favorite shorts "In case".
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

I love my Mountain Hardware Kilt, it is longer than most hiking skirts. I used a skirt on part of my spring break hike and was told by a friend that I needed a longer skirt. So I got the kilt and love it.

I wear pants no matter how hot it is. To solve the convenience issue, I made a device out of a salad dressing bottle so I don't have to squat. I did wear a skirt once in a while over my pants, but that was just because mosquitoes were biting my knees.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Men:

Stay out of this forum unless you have something useful and appropriate to contribute.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Men:

Stay out of this forum unless you have something useful and appropriate to contribute.
    i swear i'm a girl....really....and i wear a skirt

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

I'd love to get a kilt for hiking and paddling trips... or maybe two. I wear fairly loose fitting shorts but a skirt would be nice. Any recommendations surrounding brand and style?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vonfrick View Post
    i swear i'm a girl....really....and i wear a skirt
    I think for that... he should have to hike the AT in a pink skirt... and wear a bow in that lovely hair of his... pink.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieAnn View Post
    I think for that... he should have to hike the AT in a pink skirt... and wear a bow in that lovely hair of his... pink.
    I thought he did?

Family tartan for me, as a guy, haven't got one yet but I intend to by our next hike -

Images

sorry - off topic question - but how does one find out what there family tartan is? I'm Scottish and that would be totally cool.

Images

Google clan tartan and you'll get sooo many good sites, most of which have pretty accurate information. I'm from clan Sinclair myslef.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieAnn View Post
    sorry - off topic question - but how does one find out what there family tartan is? I'm Scottish and that would be totally cool.
    Here's a start. . . just punch in the family name. . . . there's usually more than one tartan per family depending on the use. . .

Images

This one has too much info, I think: http://www.tartans.scotland.net/

This one is very good- just enter your name (under "clan"- the search box in the middle of the page) and you get your tartan, your crest, meaning and historical details of your name/ clan: http://www.scotclans.com/

Images

very cool! thanks. I also emailed my cousin in Ayrshire to ask him.

Images

Hey- warrgy and I had the same idea! Sorry, didn't realize you posted it first!

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Hey- warrgy and I had the same idea! Sorry, didn't realize you posted it first!

Menzies, Hey, this might be fun.

Wear clan colors on the trail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++