WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Default Wanna switch to a smaller pack

For all my miles on the AT, PCT, CDT, CT, OHT, etc, etc, I have carried all my gear in an external frame pack that when empty weighs 7 pounds! I really do love the pack, but I use my scooter to get to the trailhead, and the big pack won't fit on the back of the scoot.
    I work 2 jobs, so the only way I can do any hiking/backpacking is to leave after my 2nd job on a Friday night and ride to the trail. On some nights that are warm or have a full moon, I'd like to start hiking when I get to the trail head. But since the external is too large to fit on the scoot, I have to wait tiol morning to hike.
    So here is my question: Does anyone have any recommendations on a mid-size pack(2-4 days) that would work for me? I prefer a pack with at least a few external pockets, it can be an external or internal frame and empty weighs only 4-5 pounds, but has the space for a bag/pad, some food, stove, clothing appropriate for the weather, etc, etc.

Images

I kinda like the Osprey Stratus 32 (discontinued but still available). If this is too small for you, take a look at the size 40.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Have you checked out ULA Packs? The Catalyst sounds like it might fit the bill for you. It has 3 external pockets and 2 awesome hip belt pockets.
    BackpackFlyfishing.com
    Tight lines, light packs!

Gear Talk with Jason Klass
    There is no such thing as having too many sporks!

Take a look at Crossfire's DG2 Light Horse

Images

I'll second the ULA. You are precisely the hiker Brian designed his company for, those who are transitioning from conventional external frame packs and want to lighten their loads without loosing all of the durability that those bomb-proof packs afforded.

Excellent packs, and even better customer service. They are closed now until Dec. 1st. Don't worry, this is normal and they will be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I'll second the ULA. You are precisely the hiker Brian designed his company for, those who are transitioning from conventional external frame packs and want to lighten their loads without loosing all of the durability that those bomb-proof packs afforded.

Excellent packs, and even better customer service. They are closed now until Dec. 1st. Don't worry, this is normal and they will be back.
    I'll 3rd it. The Catalyst is THE pack. 46 ounces of perfection.

Images

gossamer gear?

Hike smarter, not harder.

If you've already lightened up your bag and tent, the ULA Circuit would work better. My Catalyst is so giant, I wouldn't even think about using it for a 4 day trip.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Journal Entries
    Images

I have a ULA Circuit on order at 3,800 CU in. it will cut the weight of my old Dana Designs Bridger by more than 50%
    Richard Angeli
    [email protected]
    http://trailjournals.com/tuney
    "Life is what happens while you're making other plans." John Lennon

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Brian makes some great equipment, is a good guy and he uses the gear on his own long hikes.

You can't go wrong with ULA gear. For a traditional backpacker who wishes to lighten up, it is an excellent way to go. (My friend's fiance' started using an ULA pack. She now loves backpacking because the gear is comfortable and light. The ULA pack she uses is more like a "real" pack than a frameless rucksack, too.)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries
    Images

After you make the switch the old pack is worth something to trail maintainers. It's used to carry tools and chain saws - do not throw it out post it for sale here.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

The GATC and the Kennesaw Mountain Trail Club have first dibs on the old pack. I first learned trail maintaining with the GATC and later founded the KMTC. I'm a certified crew leader and Directer Emeritus with the KMTC.
    Richard Angeli
    [email protected]
    http://trailjournals.com/tuney
    "Life is what happens while you're making other plans." John Lennon

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Another thumbs up to ULA. I love mine and recommend their packs to most folks who ask my opinion. The Circuit would probably be a good choice for you. I have the Catalyst and will be using it next month on my section hike across MD. I'll be getting a Circuit as a Christmas gift to myself this year.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Don't sell the external. You'll be wanting it back soon enough.
    Dick Kelty built his backpacks with a frame for a reason.
    They had rucksacks in the caveman days. Kelty " kicked it up a notch". Now all of these geniuses want to revert, since they think it's lighter.
    I suppose it sort of is, since most " first world" critters are toting around 20 extra lbs. of Twinkie and BurgerQueen blubber .

"OOOOOOOOOoo lookOMG OMG !!!. My backpack looks like the Recaro seat in Britneys Porche"

Hike smarter, not harder.

I've got a couple of Jansport D5s in the garage, and a Kelty 50th Anniversary external (Outside magazine's "pinnacle of the external design") in the front closet. Haven't used any of them for 4 years. So why would I be wanting these externals back soon (besides carrying a chain saw for trail work)?
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Externals are indeed awesome for heavy load carrying. Trail maintenance comes to mind, hunting, resupply at huts, etc.

However, while I do trail work, I live in multi-use Colorado where mules carry in the heavy equipment. Yeah..wussy. But, then again, I never claimed to be macho.

And, well, I have carried 10 lbs of pork loin, 5 lbs of spinach, 5 lbs of herb roasted veggies and wine to a backcountry ski hut with a Jam II.

And, while I have nothing against hunting, I like to hunt at a grocery store or mooch off my friends who are nice enough to give me elk meat from their hunting.

Soooooooooo....not sure when I'll need the external.
    Last edited by Mags; 10-07-2009 at 13:01.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Another one here w a ULA pack and ABSOLUTELY no complaints here. I have a circuit and it packs very well, carrier very well, extremely light for what it is, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. no complaints comes highly recommended from me.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

i recommend that you go try out a bunch of different packs and find one that fits you the best. there are so many good packs out there, don't confine yourself to just those recommended

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Default Kelty external

Some of the early Kelty externals come in at just over 2 lbs.

Just sayin'.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post

yea, i put an order in for a conduit and they say not till the 1st of december. some people keep thinking nov 1st is the date they ship and thats the production date. i am kinda bummed because i wanted my new pack for my november excursion, oh well...sometimes great things take time......im going with ULA because of all the acolades that whiteblaze members are giving this company....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++