Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Arrow no hiking support

I am discouraged. I am a single female (a street-smart one at that) and I want to go on a solo section hike. I know section hiking is a little more risky than thru-hiking because of the lack of hiking community, but I know I am physically and emotionally capable of doing it.

The discouraging part is everyone is telling me I can't do it and I'll wind up murdered and it's SOOOOO frustrating.

I know other women have hiked solo before - and I'm NOT the only one - and where I live, I take the same risks daily walking around my neighborhood (only in broad daylight and armed with pepperspray).

Please I know I cannot be the first person to receive such negative feedback...I need some encouragement.

Default solo girl hiking

I've done over 1000 miles solo. I just laugh when people tell me that I can't do it. I love proving them wrong. I know what kind of girl I am, and I am the kind of girl who can face her fears and conquer them!

Watch my video about my last section, I think it will give you confidence!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEwI91x0Yks

Images

Quote Originally Posted by smak View Post
    I am discouraged. I am a single female (a street-smart one at that) and I want to go on a solo section hike. I know section hiking is a little more risky than thru-hiking because of the lack of hiking community, but I know I am physically and emotionally capable of doing it.

The discouraging part is everyone is telling me I can't do it and I'll wind up murdered and it's SOOOOO frustrating.

I know other women have hiked solo before - and I'm NOT the only one - and where I live, I take the same risks daily walking around my neighborhood (only in broad daylight and armed with pepperspray).

Please I know I cannot be the first person to receive such negative feedback...I need some encouragement.

You can meet people section hiking. You'll probably run into people going your same direction. You'll start to see the same faces from shelter to shelter. Acquaintances spring up pretty quickly.

If I could offer one piece of advice it would be to feel no compulsion to answer anybody's questions.

In fact, let me expand on this slightly. Look out for yourself first. Focus first and foremost on your own priorities. If you have any worries about social acceptance, that's fine to indulge, but just make sure to keep this as your very last priority. There's nothing at all wrong with making a good impression, but your own safety and well being must always be your parmount consideration [I'm starting to sound like Polonius here].

People are worried that they will come across as unfriendly or impolite but there's no reason people need to know any more than you want to tell them.

Here's the standard personal safety spiel from the AT Conservancy:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site..._AT_Hikers.htm

This is a site created by an experienced female long distance solo hiker and her partner. It has a lot of information applicable to all hikers:

http://www.trailquest.net/BRindex.html

Images

Quote Originally Posted by smak View Post

I get that reaction from a lot of people- mostly people who've never hiked on the AT before. It is very safe, there are plenty of other hikers- I always wear a whistle around my neck, but that is the extent of my caution (and I'm careful around non-hikers and VERY careful about hitching. females really shouldn't hitch alone) Just don't worry about it- you'll be fine, and when you come back very much not dead (and in awesome shape) after your hikes, they'll be convinced. And section hiking isn't really riskier than thruing, unless you hike "out of season".

Images

you did not say how old you are, but if you are over 18 you don't need anyone's permission or approval. there are risk. be careful and have fun.

I've found that the more you try to convince people you're "safe" the more they dig in. You could take some of them with you for a day hike, show them that there are people around (other hikers, people who are safe), and that might work.

I just decided to tune those negative people out. How sad, very sad, to life your entire life being afraid to really live! I simply will not do it! I will not stay home and sit on my hands afraid to go out and enjoy doing what I do. And if I get hurt, well, that's part of the risk, but I'm willing to do that to balance out with some of the good things I carry back from a trip. You just have to get it in your mind that you are safe, and go on about your business.

Journal Entries
    Images

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by karoberts View Post
    I've done over 1000 miles solo. I just laugh when people tell me that I can't do it. I love proving them wrong. I know what kind of girl I am, and I am the kind of girl who can face her fears and conquer them!

I LOVED the clip! Thank you!!!!! Thank you everyone!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by karoberts View Post

Nice video! Thanks!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Enjoyed the vid
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

They just don't understand what you are wanting to do is all. Kind of like you can't understand why they say those things. Two totally different levels of thought. So you have to let that stuff roll off your shoulder. Follow your dreams and then brag upon return. :-) How far are you wanting to section hike?

2010 complete

The key word is "street smart". Don't start second guessing yourself.
    I am in more danger in my town doing routine activities such as walking out of an office building at night after working, or street running. The commercial parking lots are becoming dangerous even in broad daylight.
    Just nod your head and tell them you feel more comfortable on the trail and that you don't think someone will hike in 4+ miles to get you. It's easier for them to hang out at Walmart. Assure them that you will be cautious at the road crossings, shelters, and that you will not be posting on Whiteblaze the when, where and how. Tell them that the people that you meet on the trail are the best individuals that you will ever meet. enjoy

Default going solo

You go girl! Just like you take precautions at home (aka pepperspray, martial arts or even a gun for some) be prepared/trained to act defensively if necesssary.

Go for it! Enjoy it! Screw the critics!

I've done tons of solo hikes starting at age 16 and can't say that I've ever had a major issue. You're not insane!

I've logged lots of AT miles hiking solo, and I've never felt snubbed by the thru-hiker community. Quite the opposite, in fact. Almost everyone has been friendly and helpful. As others have said, just use good judgment and you should be fine.

Though I was with my husband when I hiked in 2001, I'd leave him with a buddy for 4 or 5 hours nearly every day and hike by myself - got to see way more wildlife, which was great! And spending a few quiet hours away from my husband, "Tent-N-Kent" - who LOVES!!! to talk - helped keep me sane.

Two years before, I stood in my mom's kitchen and told her we were thinking about hiking the Trail. Her response was "People get murdered out there!!" I then reminded her that there'd been a murder in front of my house on a Sunday evening in the middle of February just a few months prior. I heard the shot! And we lived in what was supposed to be a safe neighborhood - with two cops living on the same street at the time. My response was "If they're going to murder me they're going to have to be willing to hike a few miles first."

Be careful at road crossings and in town; pay attention to your gut; get to know your fellow hikers (both of the "thru" and "section" variety - it's likely you'll see both) - and you'll be fine!

Images

The recent high profile double murder near the AT is not helping solo female hikers like yourself fend off those that obsess with the negative.

Your best asset is that you by your own admission understand that danger is everywhere in our society but remain confident in yourself.

Do this hike regardless of the naysayers - albeit I suggest that you do plan on leaving an itinerary with someone close to you .

Being street savy is great but also using good judgement and the ability to "read" strangers you meet along the way can also eliminate bad situations.
    The over whelming majority of those you will meet are just out enjoying nature and all there is to life and some surely will be in the same boat as you.
    This can present itself as an opportunity at not only having a hiking partner but possibly a friend for life.

Happy Hiking !
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Learn martial arts, and get a handgun carry permit if you are that worried.

Images

I'm a solo section hiker and the belief that you won't have the comraderie of the hiking community just isn't true. I've hiked outside the 'pack' many times, and you will still meet and hook up with many people. the only time I didn't have many on the trail was my Neel Gap to Deep Gap NC. and that was because it was November.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Last year I hiked half the PCT solo within the herd. I met lots of nice thru-hikers. This year I hiked the other half of the PCT solo way ahead of the herd by a month or two. Instead of thru-hikers I met lots of nice section hikers and I even actually hiked with people more this year than last. The amazing wonderful people you'll meet are a support system because of the trail not because of the distance they are traveling.

If you have any fears about solo hiking, this could be why the naysayers affect you so much. Just do it anyway. It'll be an amazing experience.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

I'm 57 and hiked from Harper's Ferry WV to Waynesboro VA. I never pitched a tent-only in my living room- and bought a one-way ticket from California. I had great time and was never scared. The first 10 days I did ask myself, "What were you thinking?"
    At first I felt a little awkward because I would be old in comparison to most hikers, but when there were 2 ladies in their mid 70's I was truly inspired and knew I could manage. My confidence skyrocketed after I pitched my tent in the pouring rain on the 3rd day.
    Don't worry, you'll be fine. Just make sure you've got all you need and don't take any extras. I found weight really does matter.
    Go for it. There will be no worries after the first few days. Ignore the folks at home. I'm going back in April or May and I'll start from Georgia. I can't wait.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++