WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Passing

this is one of those questions that really don't need an answer. It always seems to take care of itself without a big dilemma. I am always willing to step aside to allow others to pass and also am willing to pass when "right of way" has been yielded to me. Occasionally you'll run into a hiker with a head full of steam that has no intention of stopping for you or anybody, regardless of the situation. On these occasions I suggest dropping to the ground right in their path and start complaining about a bad leg cramp. You block their way and by doing so you have an opportunity to ask them what the Fing hurry is.

Journal Entries
    Images

That would be funny, All though I would ask you if you needed some help. I would also offer to rub your leg No just kidding Sounds funny could even be a skit in a AT comedy film about hikers.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sorefoot View Post
    That would be funny, All though I would ask you if you needed some help. I would also offer to rub your leg No just kidding Sounds funny could even be a skit in a AT comedy film about hikers.
    Thanks, I just spewed my coffee.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorefoot View Post
    You ain't from Dalton are ya?

Images

The worst ones are the guys with earbuds in. I came up behind a guy and said excuse me, no answer. He stopped for a second and I thought he finally heard me so I started by, his scream was really quite un-manly. He said he thought I was a bear.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    The worst ones are the guys with earbuds in. I came up behind a guy and said excuse me, no answer. He stopped for a second and I thought he finally heard me so I started by, his scream was really quite un-manly. He said he thought I was a bear.
    Yeah....I hate that. If they are wearing earbuds, they at least need a rearview mirror. One day I'm gonna give one of those guys a heart attack. I'm on my bike and yelling from 50 yards away and they still jump a mile when I'm going way around them.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Yep, should start carrying a video camera. Might get some real funny videos.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Thanks, I just spewed my coffee.
    Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    You ain't from Dalton are ya?
    Nope I live in Central Fl

Images

What we need is less etiquette. Usually, a hiker (of unidentifiable sex because they are so far away) sees me and jumps on an unstable rock and waits as I walk by a dozen good passing places. I'm bemused, but grateful. When it is easy to walk off the trail, I will often get off the trail and watch as the other hiker also gets off the trail and walks trough the woods just to be equally polite. If the trail is narrow, and I get off at a "good" passing place, the other hiker will come up and stand in the trail just in front of me and ask what I had for lunch. We will have a pleasant conversation, but soon I will notice that my ankles are getting tired as I stumble into the other hiker.

I have found that most hikers with Ipods are willing to take them off and talk.
    Rambler

I always just whistle when about 25 yards away. It works for my dogs, and they're smarter than most hikers.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Wow that would have made a great youtube!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++