WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Things you carry with you...

I was just curious about the things people carry in their packs. Are there things you carry in your pack that you have never used? How about things you used to carry when you first started but realized they were just extra weight. I've already learned that I carried way too much food on my first hike.

Images

I used to carry too much food, too many clothes, too many first-aid items...

2010 complete

i use it all. even the snake bite kit to pop blisters, which was a mistake.

Parsimonious curmudgeon Slack-jawed Trog's Avatar
    Images

Things I carry that I don't use or just haven't used yet...YMMV

1) Rip-stop nylon tape for tent/sleeping bag repair

2) Clevis pins, I prefer an external frame pack

3) Duct-tape (carried on a water bottle) for repairs #'s 1 + 2 above won't handle...

4) Swiss Army knife, thinking about replacing it with a small multi-tool/leatherman

5) First Aid kit, a small/basic set-up (guess I've been lucky)

6) Wallet & Cell phone, I hate the idea of leaving them in an unattended vehicle at the trailhead
    Slack-jawed Troglodyte

Journal Entries
    Images

The first aid kit that never saw service. - except the imodium!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

I use absolutely everything but the pills i carry (vicodin in case i get injured, orphenadrine for muscle spasms) Otherwise, I'll throw it out.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Garlic
    Images

I pretty much got it down to minimum, finally. I can't believe the crap I used to carry.

The other week I was camped at an AT-style shelter in the Pasayten Wilderness in WA state. A group of four backpackers came in and started playing with and comparing all their REI toys--camp chairs, camp shoes, GPSs, altimeters, solar battery chargers, gas stoves, baking pots, insulated mugs and titanium sporks, water bladders and hoses, filters, multitools...whew. I just sat and stared and realized that I don't carry any of that stuff any more. I wonder what they thought of the poor quiet guy with no toys.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

2010 complete

The mentality for packing light has carried over into my other forms of travel. I went to Asia for 8 days with only my carry on bag. My family of five never checked a bag for our flight to our cruise. I pack light for the beach, car camping, weekend travel etc. It's an art, plus I don't have to unpack it.

I always carry a compass. Haven't used it in decades.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    The mentality for packing light has carried over into my other forms of travel. I went to Asia for 8 days with only my carry on bag. My family of five never checked a bag for our flight to our cruise. I pack light for the beach, car camping, weekend travel etc. It's an art, plus I don't have to unpack it.
    There's a much larger detailed story there...

Peaked my interest!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I pretty much got it down to minimum, finally. I can't believe the crap I used to carry.

The other week I was camped at an AT-style shelter in the Pasayten Wilderness in WA state. A group of four backpackers came in and started playing with and comparing all their REI toys--camp chairs, camp shoes, GPSs, altimeters, solar battery chargers, gas stoves, baking pots, insulated mugs and titanium sporks, water bladders and hoses, filters, multitools...whew. I just sat and stared and realized that I don't carry any of that stuff any more. I wonder what they thought of the poor quiet guy with no toys.

Some of that isn't necesarily toys or wrong to have. ?? Like camp shoes water bladders with hose, a mutitool (if its lightweight), a spork...

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Yes I use everything, except hopefully the first-aid kit (but I bring it anyway).

I used to bring a lot more stuff, but over the years I've pared it down to what I need, and it's more enjoyable that way for me.

If I wanted to play with toys I'd stay at home and game.

Images

I used to carry a several changes of underclothes and shirts and pants and Sigg bottles and lots of first aid (I'd settle for a few pills a couple of bandaids and sutures, if I could get any sutures) a fast dry towel, deodorant, shampoo a big knife. I hardly used any of it. Now, if you don't like how I smell walk up front. I'll just turn my shirt over when it's dirty and underwear? who needs stinkin underwear? Thats just something to cause chafe. I still like my washcloth it helps to wash up a bit and also is handy when I put in my contacts. Camp shoes can be nice but I haven't carried those lately.
    I do carry a GPS just cause it has whatever trail I'm on, on it. If not then it's recording the trail for later use.
    The biggest waist of pack space - water. Read the map, question the oncoming hikers carry a little extra and keep my water bladder topped off. Last year in the drought it was a different story but so far this year no problem.
    Miracles; they are by nature unbelievable so the mind must rationalize them or justify God is real.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I wonder what they thought of the poor quiet guy with no toys.
    "That poor guy. Someday he'll be able to afford to be a real hiker."

Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    "That poor guy. Someday he'll be able to afford to be a real hiker."

Yeah.....that's why I'll never be a real hiker.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Default Carried - not used

I started carrying a first aid kit some years back. I made it up myself. It is relatively heavy. I have never used it, but am afraid that it would be bad luck at this point to leave it at home. I have offered bandaids to others and no one has "really" needed one.
    I have carried a snakebite kit that my wife gave me in 1988 - suction syringe type. I have used it a couple of times to suck yellow jacket poison out of my ankles and one time Kenny Campbell used it on his butt cheek, also a yellow jacket sting. I always carry it - I am afraid to leave it at home. By the way, the cup that Kenny used got tossed out. Just another item that is rarely used - but carried in warmer months.
    Tiny, backup LED light - always take it - never have used it.
    Spare lighter - always take it - never used it.
    My unused items seem to be the emergency type.

I take too much food and I always take too much fuel for my stove. But, i guess those are good things.

Also, i take sunscreen in the summer and never use it.

Journal Entries
    Images

I use to carry a spoon but not anymore it weighs toooo much. So I just use my left hand to eat

I have 3 waterproof matches I have never used.
    I might have used my compass once. I could have used it a few more times than that before I got it.
    As soon as I got a rain poncho it stopped raining.
    I haven't used the Vicodin.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

For some reason, now whenever I see this thread I think of this:

[=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLWm-m6CuCY]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++