WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 5 day October Menu help

My son and I and a friend and his son are planning to do the Eagle Rock Loop in the Ouachita National Forest on October 9-13. This is going to be for the boys Backpacking Merit Badge for Boy Scouts, so it will be a 5 days and 30 miles, so we plan on doing some of the Points of Interest that are on the side trails so we can make a minimum 30 miles.

My last long backpacking trip I took was Philmont in 1979 and I know things have changed. Usually we only take 3 day trips.

Can someone give me some ideas of food with some variety that teens may eat too ? We will be carrying all our food with us for the full trip.

We will probably need dinner the first day and breakfast and lunch the last day and all meals the middle 3 days.

Thank you all for any help you can give us,
    J

Did you want to make your own meals or buy them ready-to-go?

If you want to make your own, there are several great sites you can check out:

TrailCooking
    One Pan Wonders
    Wilderness Cooking

If you'd like to buy ready-made meals or need a source for hard to find ingredients, you should check out Packit Gourmet

Hope that helps!
    Packit Gourmet ~ meals, grocery store and kitchen gear for campers

Quote Originally Posted by CampGirl View Post
    Did you want to make your own meals or buy them ready-to-go?

If you want to make your own, there are several great sites you can check out:

TrailCooking
    One Pan Wonders
    Wilderness Cooking

If you'd like to buy ready-made meals or need a source for hard to find ingredients, you should check out Packit Gourmet

Hope that helps!

We are open to all suggestion, we have no set idea yet on what we want.

Thanks,
    J

Images

If considering prepared/ready made meals, check out Hawk Vittles -- http://www.hawkvittles.com/index.html

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

J - Do you have access to a food dehydrator? If not, you can use an oven set very low. This is a great time to teach the kids how to dry something simple like spaghetti sauce and that also may open up room to earn some other sort of badge perhaps.

The best place to start is by finding out if the boy has any food allergies and making a list of the things that the four of you absolutely dislike. Also an idea of the heartiness of your appetites would be good. Sometimes kids will eat less on a trip but often they will eat more especially by the third day. If you could post the info (or pm it to me) then I could really help you with a menu and send along some recipe ideas and instructions.

I've found for ease and weight, Carnation instant breakfast drin makes for a great milk mix and has plenty of protien to add to cereal in the morning - tuna on bagels great for lunch, dinners are too wide a variety for me to comment on although Lipton (Knorr) sides work well as does Ramen. . . .

Images

My Mom had me make some rice, add cheese mix and tuna and my scoutmaster actually ate it and named it after me.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Teen boys rarely eat less on the trail - unless they get dehydrated or too tired. My Tweener eats twice as much as at home. So as I mentioned over on BPL, plan, plan and plan. Study how much the guys eat and get them involved with the planning. 3 meals a day is rarely enough for teen males - they will need snacks throughout the day to keep them powered.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

++ New Posts ++