WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: wild pigs

Images

Default wild pigs

i watched a special last night on wild pigs in the US. It stated that there were up to 2 million roaming around, mostly in the south east. They showed several groups with dozens of pigs weighing between 400- 1200lbs in georgia... Has anyone ever seen any while on a hike?

Images

Yes. We saw momma sow and her piglets on a hike way back in False Cape State Park in Virginia several years ago. Momma was pretty big. Made me a little nervous (way more nervous than any bear ever did.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Just at the AYCE buffets. . .

Don't believe that they all live in the southeast, I think that most of them pass through my place at least once a week.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

I "saw" some in the woods on a hike in the Sam Houston National Forest. I could not see them clearly through the underbrush, but from the noises and the size of movements in the undergrowth, plus a few partial glimpses, I could tell easily enough what they were. I just left them strictly alone and moved away quietly!
    Deuteronomy 23:12-13 "Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with… dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

2010 complete

I believe they are very destructive in GSNP and the rangers where shooting them on site. This was several years ago, so my facts may be out of date. I also believe that like Kudzu, they are not native and were brought it and went amuck. Again, not exactly sure of my facts. Was that mentioned in the special?

Images

yeah the show said they were most likely a hybrid, part normal pig and part russian (i think) wild boar. They were destroying gardens, going through trash cans, killing dogs and even attacking some people. a few of them were freekin huge. I've been pretty close to a few bears and a couple coyotes but i think a 1000 lb wild pig would scare the crap out of me.. haha

Images

Default Remember this post?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47282

Now that would be frightening.
    I have seen wild hogs on a few occasions. Over the past 5 years I have seen more than in the past. It may be the places I have gone or the increased frequency and duration of my trips that have produced more hog sightings. One impression I have is that hogs are not as shy as bears. From stories I hear from hunters I have a feeling that hogs may be more agressive than bears (mamma bears excluded). I make noise when I see hog sign, especially after reading that post from last year. I have a feeling that suprising a hog might not be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by babbage View Post
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47282

...One impression I have is that hogs are not as shy as bears. From stories I hear from hunters I have a feeling that hogs may be more agressive than bears (mamma bears excluded)...
    I agree, hogs are much more aggresive than BLACK bears. However, that includes mamma BLACK bears. It's a myth that mamma bears will aggressively protect their young in vicinity of humans, a grizzly bear will, but not a black bear.

There's plenty of documentation on this and I've witnessed it myself in 2008 when I got between a mother and her cub, the mother ran off and left the cub.

The only aggressive black bears, barring bears suffering from malnutrition or possibly disease; are ones that have become acclimated to being in close proximity to humans. And that's because we show respect (to them it's fear and they can sense it) around them or even feed them, that includes those that actively feed them, but also those that don't set up safeguards to prevent them from feeding off our food.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

ive seen one in the smokies.

also seen several on my property.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

I spot them all the time after about 8 beers. Usually see them after 11:00 PM. Seem to like bars and pubs.

Images

lots of pigs in the park - they've already removed over 550 from the park this year alone! (i think they got like 800 last year total), Ive seen plenty, mostly on the NC side sometime groups of 10 and sometimes just 2 together. If you want to see them, the gregory bald campsite usually has some visits...but don't get close to them

Whenever there is a discussion about guns and someone says "you don't need an AK-47 to hunt", I think, well, they have never run into a herd of monster hogs in the woods before.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

When I did the Benton MacKaye earlier this year, I saw the just south of Ducktown.

Momma Boar was with her piglets. She let me know if no uncertain terms that I was getting closer than comfortable.

I walked well around her.

I had pork for dinner later that night (truly).
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by humunuku View Post
    lots of pigs in the park - they've already removed over 550 from the park this year alone! (i think they got like 800 last year total), Ive seen plenty, mostly on the NC side sometime groups of 10 and sometimes just 2 together. If you want to see them, the gregory bald campsite usually has some visits...but don't get close to them
    Now, if we could just get rid of the millions of rolling couch potatoes, i.e. tourists in cars. Even if all the pigs in the Park are exterminated, we'll still have lots of pigs in the park.

Anyone know what wild pig tastes like in comparison to store bought pork products?

2010 complete

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Anyone know what wild pig tastes like in comparison to store bought pork products?
    tough.....

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Depends on what products you are talking about. Often, you can't tell the difference if you are not told what you are eating. Alot depends on what the hog has been feeding on, whether it's domestic or wild. Most of the hog meat you get at the grocery comes from 5 or 6 month old hogs. The older it gets, the tuffer the meat will be as a rule.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Whenever there is a discussion about guns and someone says "you don't need an AK-47 to hunt", I think, well, they have never run into a herd of monster hogs in the woods before.
    I like that and will definitly be using it

A 1200 pound hog? Come on. Most of them around here would do well to be over a 100 pounds. That some beach, if 1200 pounds would look like freaking Godzilla. No way.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++