WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Class of 2012

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Nah. Mods think the world will end in Dec 2012, so why bother?
    But...I'll be done with my thru before that!

Hello all,

I'm starting July 1st 2012 SOBO and will hopefully be done by december 1st.

Looking forward to meeting others!

"There is no failure except in no
    longer trying. There is no defeat
    except from within, no insurmountable
    barrier except our own inherent
    weakness of purpose." - Elbert Hubbard

I'm new to WhiteBlaze and new to east coast hiking, but I've done quite a bit of hiking out west. I've been reading a lot about the AT, and now that I'm moving towards retirement (thus the name "Transition Bob"), I'm setting my sights - like so many others - on a thru-hike in the spring of 2012.

I really appreciate all the good information in this site and look forward to meeting some of you along the way. Right now I'm looking for a few hikers in NJ/PA area who might like to hike the trail for a week or two in the spring or fall of 2011.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Nah. Mods think the world will end in Dec 2012, so why bother?
    Uh, cause that means we'll be the last class?
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

I will be starting my thru hike in 2012 end march/ early april. It has been my dream for years now to do the full AT. I am from england and have quite a lot of backpacking experience both in winter and summer but only in the UK. I will have to get a visa from the US embassy because i will be longer than 90 days, does anyone know how much they are and how many visas are accepted.

Well now planning on hiking in 2014...

Chez - good to see another face from the UK is going!
    Hiking visas seem to be granted to quite a few people - a chap last year got one and hiked - Tin Tin - you should be able to search for him on trail journals, might offer you some information.

Downside is visa is 6months so if you are a slow hiker you might need to speed up?

Might see you on the trail!

LoneWolf is right on... 1st week of APRIL is THE week to start.. gives you plenty of time... And your in the back of the pack... Shelters / Trail is not as full... weather is MUCH better.
    "Reach Farther" ~ SOLACE

I took the decision last week to start my thru-hike in 2012, which gives me a little less than 365 days to prepare for what should be the trip of my life. I will be 26 at the trailhead and turning 27, hopefully, once past Virginia. Nobody will be accompanying me to the trail head.

The plan is to leave Ottawa, by bus to Montreal, than Montreal-New York-Atlanta by bus. (I don't trust airlines with hiking material. My Osprey bag was lost by an airline on my way back from Peru.) Depending on the weather in the Smokies, I would start on the approach trail either March 23 or 30 and leave Springer on the Saturday morning.

I wreaked my left knee doing a one-day Great Range Traverse July 2, 2010. Did lots of stretching and muscle strenghtening and it was fine for the Presidential Range Traverse on Sept. 4 2010. The Presidential represent 0.XXX% of the AT. That is where I was introduced to the AT and dreamt of it since then.

Images

Had to cancel this year's (2011) thru-hike attempt...Taking off late Feb/early Mar of 2012. Been off this site for awhile...good to still see some familiar folks on here.
    W-W

20100827(003).jpgI FROM china

Beaver Meadows, Pennsylvania, United States

I started going through the accumulation of the last 16.5 years worth of acquired military paraphernalia, looks like I can save about 600.00 dollars off my price tag for equipment and etcetera for the AT trip next year. Any other updates out there? I am planning on starting late March with a former thru hiker, hoping the the experience of his hike will help keep me motivated and cut down on the what the heck am I doing here thoughts. Hope to all of you out there next year.
    Patrick
    2012 hopeful

"People are a lot like Slinky's, Not much fun really, until you push them down the stairs"

Hey also planning for an early march 2012 start. I get out of the Army about 3 months prior so it should be perfect timing. Anyone know when they will open a class of 2012 sub forum?

Start date: March 13, 2012 Stats 2012's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho_Nomad View Post
    Anyone know if 2012 will ever get its own forum?
    Sure: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/foru...-Class-of-2012. Be sure to sign the registry.

Man, things are picking up speed as March approaches! The next few months are going to fly by!

I've seen a lot of "mid March" departures. (March 15 seems to be the most popular day.) I'm heading out early on March 13, but haven't seen anyone else pick that day.

Can't wait to see everyone on the Trail. Good luck with your planning.
    http://atstats.blogspot.com

"There are many ways to hike the Trail. Your way will be best.” -- Carolyn Cunningham

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChillyWilly View Post
    I was just looking at the lineup for MerleFest this April in NC. Lyle Lovette, Doobie Bros, Doc Watson, Rory Block, Sam Bush Band, Del McCoury Band, Tony Rice, Peter Rowan, Robert Plant, Randy Travis, and literally dozens of others ... And a week later, just up the road a piece is Trail Days at Damascus. Sounds like an opportunity to hear some mountain music, hike the trail a bit, and drop in on the cultural event of the year!
    remember to look at these sites also

Appalachian Trail 2012 and hikerfoolbash.com

I cant wait to meet everyone on the trail! I am questioning as to when to start now and am wondering if the end of March would be too late....

Journal Entries
    Images

No, you'll be right in the pack.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

May 4th start NOBO, hopefully I can catch up to some people.

Quote Originally Posted by jansom View Post
    May 4th start NOBO, hopefully I can catch up to some people.
    as well as myself I have spoken with 2-3 others who will be starting this week. I think there will be company

Journal Entries
    Images

How about setting up a meet n greet at Damascus during Trail Days? I figure Mary and I will hitch a ride there regardless of where we are at the time. But how to get together? Cell phones? A posting here? Bulletin board? Camp site?
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++