WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mooney Gap to Big Spring Shelter

Is there a good bit of traffic on this part of the trail during Nov? Also, Ive read about the hike up albert mtn as being pretty tuff. Has anyone hiked from hale ridge rd to the top of Rabun Bald in Ga and up Albert Mtn? If so, how do the two hikes compare? Hike to Rabun was pretty steep. Just trying to gather some info as I am planning a 4 day hike/camp trip up there in mid Nov. Any help would be great. Thanks

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MadHiker56 View Post
    Is there a good bit of traffic on this part of the trail during Nov? Also, Ive read about the hike up albert mtn as being pretty tuff. Has anyone hiked from hale ridge rd to the top of Rabun Bald in Ga and up Albert Mtn? If so, how do the two hikes compare? Hike to Rabun was pretty steep. Just trying to gather some info as I am planning a 4 day hike/camp trip up there in mid Nov. Any help would be great. Thanks
    I did the hike up Albert Mtn this sumnmer with 2 14 year olds. We started at Mooney Gap, in the rain, and hiked up slick rocks covered with mud and water. It was memorable, but I wouldn't particularly call it tough.....
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Images

fyi...we started at Mooney Gap and ended at Nantahala Gorge. I originally planned it for 5 days, not knowing how many miles to plan per day. We ended up doing it in 3 1/2!
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Journal Entries
    Images

The hike up Albert is indeed one that will stay with you, as many of the climbs along the AT are. But it isn't that bad. It's steep, it's rocky, but it isn't really that long. It isn't one of those climbs where you keep getting faked out by false summits. False summits piss me off worse than anything on climbs. It's like the local club is behind a bush laughing at you!!

Images

Yeah, Albert is actually kinda fun. It's rocky, and you might need to grab a handhold or two. But the climb is pretty short. On a clear day the view from the tower is supposed to be terrific. (I have NEVER seen it on a clear day. Socked in every time. Not that I am bitter.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The hike up Albert is nothing, really. IMO and there is a nice tower on top. I had more problems with places like the Stecoahs early on.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Yeah, Albert is actually kinda fun. It's rocky, and you might need to grab a handhold or two. But the climb is pretty short. On a clear day the view from the tower is supposed to be terrific. (I have NEVER seen it on a clear day. Socked in every time. Not that I am bitter.)

The view on a clear day is unbelievable. This is what one could expect and this is a humid hazy summer day.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Pretty. We had a nice view too up there. Makes the effort woth it, while there are other places that the effort is not - at least for views, and then you need to be seeking higher goals in life.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I like the view on Albert Mountain...

I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

...but the view from Wayah is nice, too.

Images

Whoops, there it is....

Default Mooney to Big Spring

Thanks for the info guys. How long should a hike take from Mooney Gap to Wallace Gap carrying about a 35 to 40lbs pack? I guess I would be considered an amature hiker but in good shape. Ive done most of my hiking around Blood mtn on the App. Trail and Rabun Bald on the Bartam Trail. Is Mooney to Wallace a good hike? Would it be considered a section hike? Again, any info would be great. Thanks

The pics you guys posted are awsome. Those views are what its all about.

Images

Thanks for the info guys. How long should a hike take from Mooney Gap to Wallace Gap carrying about a 35 to 40lbs pack? I guess I would be considered an amature hiker but in good shape. Ive done most of my hiking around Blood mtn on the App. Trail and Rabun Bald on the Bartam Trail. Is Mooney to Wallace a good hike? Would it be considered a section hike? Again, any info would be great. Thanks
    That's pretty short isn't it? One day is what I'm thinking.

Yeah its about nine miles or so. Most of my hikes have been in and out hikes with the longest being about 10 miles round trip. To hike Mooney to Wallace in one day would that be hiking sun up to sun down or would you be able to take it easy with lots of breaks? Again, I am an amature and just want to know what Im getting myself into. Thanks

Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah its about nine miles or so. Most of my hikes have been in and out hikes with the longest being about 10 miles round trip. To hike Mooney to Wallace in one day would that be hiking sun up to sun down or would you be able to take it easy with lots of breaks? Again, I am an amature and just want to know what Im getting myself into. Thanks
    That would be a nice one day from say breakfast to late afternoon. You could catch supper in Franklin if you started fairly early, say 8ish or 9ish. Or you could drive up from middle Georgia and make it a one night hike. HYOH ya know!!

How long should a hike take from Mooney Gap to Wallace Gap carrying about a 35 to 40lbs pack?
    I hiked with a 35 lb pack on the Standing Indian loop (up Kimsey Creek Trail to Deep Gap, then south to Wallace Gap) on my second A.T. section hike in '92. Leaving camp at Carter Gap in the snow at 8:00 am, I arrived at Wallace Gap in the rain around 4:00 pm. Your hike is shorter, so you should have no trouble with time. From Albert Mtn. it's mostly all downhill on well graded trail.

The climb up Rabun Bald from Hale Ridge road would be a little tougher, in my opinion, due to the fact that it is a much longer climb (although I hiked it from the Warwoman Dell side). I share the view of most folks here, that the rock climbing/scrambling added to the hiking experience of going over Albert Mtn.

You shouldn't have any trouble at all, starting at Mooney Gap.

Images

Thank you Gray Blazer and Bulldawg for the lovely photos from Albert Mountain. I think I may hate you both....

I have hiked that section three times, and this was the view each time:

Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Mooney Gap to Wallace Gap is an easy day hike. If you start mid-morning you'll be done mid-afternoon.

Albert is steep, but not that bad. I did it two weekends ago in a DRIVING rain. No view from the top that day.

FWIW - I loved the short section from Mooney Gap to Bearpen Gap.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Thank you Gray Blazer and Bulldawg for the lovely photos from Albert Mountain. I think I may hate you both....

I have hiked that section three times, and this was the view each time:

BC, don't feel bad. Everytime I camp on Big Bald and try to get sunrise pics, it is fogged in. Everytime!!

More Albert views...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++