WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Fish hatchery road

Is fish hatchery road just north of Steeley- woodsworth shelter labeled SR 690? And is there parking there?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You can park at the base of Fish Hatchery Rd and hike uphill about a mile to intersect the AT.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

If you're heading up 56 (west) it is a about 2-3 miles past Crabtree falls. on the left. If you come to Montebello campground you past it. There is a sign for the hatchery. Just pull to the back behind the house and follow the sign for AT parking. This is a safe place to leave your car. I go up there 4 or 5 times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by puddle pirate View Post
    . If you come to Montebello campground you past it. r.
    ...Where's Montebello campground..??..

Montebello campground is a private owned campground in Montebello. Here is their website:http://www.montebellova.com/If you are westbound on 56 looking for the fish hatchery road and you hit the Montebello campground/country store you went too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    You can park at the base of Fish Hatchery Rd and hike uphill about a mile to intersect the AT.
    I don't know if its me, but that is one of the steepest fire roads I've ever trekked.

But totally worth the hike up.

Its actually not a fire road, the first half of the road was put in by the land owners back in the late 80s and the second part and steep part was the original acesss road to the Cambells property in Cash Hollow. Hard to believe but there were once over 250 people (including a school house) living up there until the 30s. You can still see some of the log cabin foundations off trail. You can also see the old logging railroad bed that comes in about half way up. In the 30 s the railroad went all the way to the James river. Once the chestnut trees died, everything kind of shut down....

++ New Posts ++