WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best really water proof poncho?

I had an Outdoor Product backpacker long poncho which served me well until I used it to wrap some Elk backstrap for the hike out. Now I'm looking for a replacement. I don't want a "water-resistant" poncho - must be water-proof. When I put a poncho on it is because the weather is downright nasty and I don't want to get wet.

I had a bad experience with the Ponco's that REI sells (Outdoor Research?) - they'll soak you. And of course REI continues to sell them even though they suck.

What do you folks recommend? Should I just pull the trigger and order another Outdoor Products poncho from Campmor? (17oz, 52x118).

Well I bought a Froggtoggs DriDucks poncho for $13. Not what I wanted, as it really isn't going to work as a shelter, but it is lightweight and seems moderately durable (but not something to bust brush with).

A poncho always goes with me - I've been caught in the nasty weather with and without one - lesson learned. I also always carry TP, but that's another story

I like the GoLite ponchos, they are a little pricey though. What about milsurp?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJohns View Post
    I like the GoLite ponchos, they are a little pricey though. What about milsurp?
    funny you mention that... i was in the middle of suggesting one last night when i looked up how much it weighed (mine is 24oz) and decided it wouldn't be what he was looking for... but it IS an excellent piece of gear... i've spent many nights under one, and never had it leak though the fabric (but lots of rain blew in from the side!)

the Packa gets good reviews, and Equinox makes one with a longer tail that can go over a backpack.

Are you sure the poncho was leaking? Maybe it was sweat condensing on the inside. No matter WHAT I wear for rain protection while hiking, I always sweat underneath and get coated with moisture. Good luck on the poncho quest. FWIW, I also have the golite silnylon poncho and think it's the best bang for the buck around.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

If you're looking at a poncho, or any raingear where you want better ventilation, you should check out The Packa. Certainly it's a lot more expensive than a Wal*Mart off-the-shelf poncho, but it's a lot more versatile and less 'flappy' than your typical poncho.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

I got a OR poncho and would go with another if I had to replace it. I don't think a Packa (only L/XL size) would fit me or I'd get one.
    Miracles; they are by nature unbelievable so the mind must rationalize them or justify God is real.

I have a mil surplus. Keeps me bone dry, and is a shelter and bivi sac and etc, etc,. I’m not one to worry about ounces and grams so it works perfect for me.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Are you sure the poncho was leaking? Maybe it was sweat condensing on the inside. No matter WHAT I wear for rain protection while hiking, I always sweat underneath and get coated with moisture. Good luck on the poncho quest. FWIW, I also have the golite silnylon poncho and think it's the best bang for the buck around.
    No, the rain was coming in and my chest was soaked. Later I read reviewers at REI complaining of the same thing. My last poncho was Outdoor Products and it was water proof as I had used it in a couple of nasties.

i use this:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...ght/00167.html

haven't used it as a shelter, yet, but its a great poncho.

I've had my Integral Designs silponcho for a couple of years now and it's a great piece of equipment. I like the fact that it completely covers your pack and can be easily tied around you if windy. Nice snap arrangement also. I hate the hot clammy feel of any raingear when your hiking and a poncho gives you the best breathability that I've found. Does a great job of keeping your pack dry too, with no gap between you and your pack. Great design and doubles as a groundcloth also. All of ten ounces..much lighter than most raingear. Link is below :

http://www.integraldesigns.com/produ...roducttypeid=1

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    If you're looking at a poncho, or any raingear where you want better ventilation, you should check out The Packa. Certainly it's a lot more expensive than a Wal*Mart off-the-shelf poncho, but it's a lot more versatile and less 'flappy' than your typical poncho.
    That's really cool- thanks for posting that, I might actually get one. I've been having difficulty with rain gear for a while. I have an OR pack cover that I love, but having something that covers the WHOLE pack AND me? Cool.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I would probably use a Packa if it could cover a fully loaded 6500-7000 cubic inch pack. Do they custom make large Packas?

Quote Originally Posted by springerfever View Post
    I've had my Integral Designs silponcho for a couple of years now and it's a great piece of equipment. I like the fact that it completely covers your pack and can be easily tied around you if windy. Nice snap arrangement also. I hate the hot clammy feel of any raingear when your hiking and a poncho gives you the best breathability that I've found. Does a great job of keeping your pack dry too, with no gap between you and your pack. Great design and doubles as a groundcloth also. All of ten ounces..much lighter than most raingear. Link is below :

http://www.integraldesigns.com/produ...roducttypeid=1
    The same problem as with the Packa, too small for a huge pack.

I never could find a poncho that kept me or my gear dry. And it got terribly hot while backpacking. And it would flap around in the wind. I'll stick to my rain jacket and pack cover.

Default Custom and xl Packas

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I would probably use a Packa if it could cover a fully loaded 6500-7000 cubic inch pack. Do they custom make large Packas?
    I used to make customs like this, and I hope to be able to offer them again someday. But, I have been very busy remodeling 2 houses. I am almost finished with the one I plan to sell, just need to clean it up and touch up some paint, maybe replace a few deck boards. Anybody want to buy a house in Marion VA? I have to sell it in order to thruhike again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    The same problem as with the Packa, too small for a huge pack.

I never could find a poncho that kept me or my gear dry. And it got terribly hot while backpacking. And it would flap around in the wind. I'll stick to my rain jacket and pack cover.
    I just received 2 new size samples from my manufacturer. The new xl has a larger Packcover and longer sleeves, but I doubt it would fit a 7000 ci pack. Is your pack external frame?
    CT

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Tree View Post
    I used to make customs like this, and I hope to be able to offer them again someday. But, I have been very busy remodeling 2 houses. I am almost finished with the one I plan to sell, just need to clean it up and touch up some paint, maybe replace a few deck boards. Anybody want to buy a house in Marion VA? I have to sell it in order to thruhike again next year.

I just received 2 new size samples from my manufacturer. The new xl has a larger Packcover and longer sleeves, but I doubt it would fit a 7000 ci pack. Is your pack external frame?
    CT
    Here's a standard fotog of my pack loaded for a 12 day trip for demonstration purposes. I'm pretty disgusted with pack covers, even when new they leak. And of course they don't keep water out between the pack and my back. You'd think after about 100 years of pack technology we'd have waterproof packs. Arcteryx Naos? Probably waterproof, but not Dana Designs or Mystery Ranch.

How about a Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape?
    Does anyone here use one?
    Would it fit over a large pack?
    It's a good candidate if use as a shelter is a consideration.

Personally, I use a Mountain Laurel Designs silnylon poncho (old style with round hood hole, flat cut - new ones have a catenary cut designed to be set up "A frame" style).
    It has lots of tieouts for various setups.
    Ron does custom work also, so if you wanted a larger poncho I'm sure he could accomodate you. His products, however, are not inexpensive.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    I had an Outdoor Product backpacker long poncho which served me well until I used it to wrap some Elk backstrap for the hike out. Now I'm looking for a replacement. I don't want a "water-resistant" poncho - must be water-proof. When I put a poncho on it is because the weather is downright nasty and I don't want to get wet.

I had a bad experience with the Ponco's that REI sells (Outdoor Research?) - they'll soak you. And of course REI continues to sell them even though they suck.

What do you folks recommend? Should I just pull the trigger and order another Outdoor Products poncho from Campmor? (17oz, 52x118).
    I am so glad you didn't say Sierra Designs, but that was a rain jacket at 8 oz. Then LLBean put out a jacket that had two clear layers a tentlike treated DWR outside and a white honeycome plastic on the inside. Rei & Ems and LLbean carried this jacket under different names but same manufacture. 13 oz is clearly yet another UL pound to stay dry

Haven't seen it up close ... Price and weight is right

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20275
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Default Gatewood Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    How about a Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape?
    Does anyone here use one?
    Would it fit over a large pack?
    It's a good candidate if use as a shelter is a consideration.
    I use a Gatewood Cape with a GG Mariposa Plus. I don't know if that is big, but it's a poncho. It should pretty much fit over anything right?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Tree View Post

CT
    your large fit over my 4400 golite pack but i was only filled to about 4000. id be interested in seeing your new ones for winter hiking to cover a ULA catalysis
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Default New Sizes

KK the packcover sizes are the same for the medium (which you have) and the small. Only the jacket part is smaller for the new smalls. The new xl does have a bigger packcover, but you would probably need smaller for your ULA.
    CT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++