WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A good pillow?

[quote=Rain Man;903098]The best pillow I've run across so far myself is the Academy Sports "Magellan" brand, self-inflating air pillow. I've tried another couple of brands, but they just don't give enough lift and/or they are too hard and plastic. Here's a photo of the Magellan, with a cell phone for scale--

Have not tried the Montbell yet. Have tried water bladders, shoes/boots, packs, stuffed t-shirts, and an off-brand inflatable. None suited me. I'm a side sleeper and have to have a good, lofty pillow.

I've also seen this pillow there,may have to give it a try. Thanks

I use a small compressible pillow from thermarest... http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-re...pillow/product Only 7oz.

Picked it up at REI a few years ago. The outer covering is very soft and comfortable against the face. I have also tried using my Mountain Hardwear Compressor jacket as a pillow, it stuffs into its pocket to form a pillow. I found it too hard and small though.

One tip I have found with the thermarest pillow is not to put it in your pack compressed. That makes it hard, it does not pack as easily. Instead, put it in last in the top of the pack, and use it to take up any remaining room. Just use the pack straps and drawstring to compress it.

Somewhere, I read about using a child's inflatable water wing cut in half as a pillow. I'm generally a side sleeper , so this wasn't big enough for me, but when I stuffed that and my jacket in my sleeping bag stuff sack, it worked out perfectly. The jacket provided padding that I haven't found in inflatable pillows, and the water wing provided extra height to the pillow that didn't pack down.

It's been a while since I weighed it, but I think the water wing weighed less than an ounce, and cost $1 for a pack of two.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by LimpsAlong View Post
    I'm an oldster and sleeping comfort is of the upmost importance. I carry a full length thermarest closed cell pad and a thermarest prolite 3. (cut 20" off the bottom of the foam pad for sitting then just stuff it back under the prolite at bedtime)
    If you can still sleep on, and carry, a self-inflating Thermarest instead of an insulated air mattress, you ain't that old!
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Default Oh yeah I am

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    If you can still sleep on, and carry, a self-inflating Thermarest instead of an insulated air mattress, you ain't that old!
    I don't think I'm old but after my last hike my knee and foot (on opposite sides) both told me I was.
    They can be very persuasive.
    Won't go without my Therm-A-Rest

I took the Big Agnes "pumphouse" - used for blowing up the insulated aircore pad, put my light down jacket in it and it worked perfectly as a pillow. I've struggled with the pillow situation for years. It has the valve on the end to let out just the right amount of air to get the pillow shaped correctly. It is also long enough to be of some good, and is just the right size to sit behind my head in the hood of my sleeping bag.

I still take my old Cabelas pillow also...

I went through 3 cocoon inflatable pillows on the AT this year, but they sure were nice. I guess as long as they continue to replace them, I'm ok with that.

Images

Default Western mountaineering Pillow

WM makes a down pillow that weighs 4 ounces or something like that. I used one on my NOBO in 06 and it was a nice luxury

+1 for the red Montbell inflatable pillow. I'm switched to a neoair for my mattress, but will continue using the Montbell pillow despite leaving the Montbell inflatable pad that it toggles to at home.

Images

I like to use one of my fresh extra shirts and stuff other clothes inside of it. If you're out for at least a weekend, you'll probably have a couple extra pieces of clothing along that you can use like that.

Images

I've tried a couple of things so far. I tried to sleep on my clothing bag but stuff inside the bag kept poking me in the head. I tried a down pillow that compresses to a really nice little package. Problem was that when I lay on the pillow, it compressed. Not really a pillow IMHO. I then cut a couple of sections off my thermarest foam pad. I had been using it as a portable seat but decided to try and use it as a pillow. Didn't work too well.

I like the looks of the Montbell inflatable pillow but a Google search showed that this item is out of stock at every outlet I viewed. Must be a popular item!

i'm not big on pillows eather but if i do bring something i use my MSR dromadory bag filled with air or water and it's multiple use
    just a thought
    GRAVY

The one time I tend to wear the most clothes is when I sleep on cold nights. So using spare clothes isn't an option.
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

Dreaming of a Thru-Hike! AeroGuyDC's Avatar

I use a stuffable Kelty Pillow.

http://www.campmor.com/kelty-camp-pi...0Ads-_-Primary-_-

hmm...going for a hike in june for a week..i think using my fleece as a pillow will suffice given that I don't want to add weight to my pack. My mom and I are going together, and she may need something with advanced comfort for her neck so some of the suggestions are great, thank you!
    A pack on me back and the sun on me face.

Sometimes a pillow works best right inside your sleeping bag hood with you.
    Try it if you haven't already.

Images

Has anyone used these pillows? How were they? And since they're sold in a 3 pack, does that mean, they are only a one time use or wear out very easily?

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...ht_pillow.html

Default Water bladder as pillow

Another option I haven't seen mentioned above... Did I miss it?

Use your water bladder. Works better when empty but still works if you have some water in it. Blow it up to desired firmness. Works best if you can seal it with a regular cap rather than putting pressure on your hose and mouthpiece all night. If you leave the hose on and there's water in the bag, make sure you can't roll over onto the mouthpiece.

My Dromedary bag has a cloth-like cover but sometimes I wrap it in an extra piece of clothing. Or, I just put it under my sleeping bag.

I think I still prefer to stuff my filled jacket into one of its own sleeves, but if I'm wearing that, then the water bag works for me, too.

Sweet Dreams,

Mara
    Stitches, AT99
    Visit my Travels and Trails site: http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor

silly underpillowed masses. matthewski is here. look over to your favorite pillow. now pick it up. strap it to your pack. and walk.
    matthewski

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    silly underpillowed masses. matthewski is here. look over to your favorite pillow. now pick it up. strap it to your pack. and walk.
    lol

My favourite pillow for outdoors is the one inside one of the throw pillows on our couch. It actually feels better with the cover off. It fits well inside my sleeping bag hood. I have only used it in winter though, and only in the backyard. I should definitely take it on hikes, but I am not sure what I could stuff into the throw pillow in its place while I am gone.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++