WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

:banana How much different is the Thru-hike with a dog?

I am interested in knowing just what is expected when hiking with the dog... I know there are places that I can not bring him, but is it really "that" much harder to do a Thru-hike with a dog? Are there many areas on the trail where you will have to carry the dog or areas where he could not get by? I have a boxer/pitbull mix - both breeds are in the top 10 "best dogs for hiking"... so I am really not worried if he can make it due to ability but rather the trail. Thanks for the help!!! :-)
    Big A

This is a frequently discussed subject, here and elsewhere. And sometimes, it's a contentious one.

I suggest you use the Search engine here at Whiteblaze and do a search on "dogs" or hiking with dogs" and you'll find all sorts of information, in fact you'll find enough to keep you busy for hours.

Just bring a thick skin.

The opinions on this subject are vast and intense, if not vitriolic.

Yet the ONLY people who could tell you how different it is one way or the other are those people who have done two Thru-hikes of the AT: one WITH a dog, and one WITHOUT a dog.

Not many of those around.
    I walk the line.

As to how much more difficult it is to thru-hike with a dog, I can't really say as I've never done it.

But I know it can make for some problems.

For example there were some hikers here in Hanover the other day with a dog. They had no place to stay (and it was pouring out, too) because the only hotel that had rooms available doesn't take dogs; they also couldn't use the free local bus service either, which made it tougher to re-supply, get to the outfitter, etc.

They finally found a Dartmouth dorm that was willing to take them.....until the students found out there was a dog.

In short, yeah, sometimes hiking with a dog will make for problems, and anyone contemplating hiking with their pet better be ready for this.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

The Appalachian Trails Conservancy has an excellent page for hiking with a dog:
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site..._with_Dogs.htm

Good luck!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Default Recommended Reading

Mags was thinking what I was and posted sooner.
    Last edited by emerald; 10-04-2009 at 22:17. Reason: Deleted ATC link

I've only done 1000 miles, but I did it all with my dog. You can learn about my experience by watching my video, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEwI91x0Yks

Hiking with a dog is A LOT of extra work and has many added inconveniences. I think that a boxer/pitt would not do well because of pad problems. Hiking all day every day is not for every dog. I think working breeds do better on the trail. You may also want to think about the kinds of reactions others will have to your dog.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Difficuklt with a dog

The odds of starting a thru-hike and finishing is 5 to 1. 80% of those who start, don't finish. With a dog the odds change to probably 10 to 1. What I'm saying is that for every 10 folks who attempt a thru-hike with a dog, only 1 will susceed.
    If you are serious about doing a thru-hike and finishing, reconsider taking a dog.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SOBO 2011 View Post
    I am interested in knowing just what is expected when hiking with the dog... I know there are places that I can not bring him, but is it really "that" much harder to do a Thru-hike with a dog? Are there many areas on the trail where you will have to carry the dog or areas where he could not get by? I have a boxer/pitbull mix - both breeds are in the top 10 "best dogs for hiking"... so I am really not worried if he can make it due to ability but rather the trail. Thanks for the help!!! :-)
    Basically, a hike with a dog restricts you the most when you're in town. You can't stay in most hostels or bring your dog into buildings, if you aren't bothered by that, then it should be okay.

The main thing, in my opinion is that you really need to be aware of your dog, especially around shelters. Your dog can NOT sleep in shelters with other hikers. Allergies, wet dog, annoying dog, invasion of personal space and fear of dogs all make taking your dog in a shelter impossible. Don't do it- ever. Even in a downpour. I'm sure you know this already, but many hikers don't.
    Another thing, if you chose to eat at a shelter, make sure your dog doesn't beg (a lot of people can't stand begging dogs) or invade people's personal space. To bring a dog near other hikers, he really needs to be well trained.
    Apart from considerations of other people, I think dogs really like hiking. Some people maintain that dogs shouldn't carry a pack, but I think it makes them feel useful (just carrying their own stuff, of course- not much). They take to constant walking very well. There are a couple places that are difficult for even the sturdiest dogs. I know several dogs that have been injured around the Chairback Gap in the Hundred Mile Wilderness. And don't foget, they don't even allow dogs in Baxter State Park, so you'll have to kennel him. If you look in the Appalachian Pages 2009, there's a woman who'll pick up, kennel and drop off your dog at Abol Bridge (for a price, of course). Good luck, and sorry to run on so much!

Thank You all .. The information was great! I am still unsure is I will bring him or not :-/ At first taking him with me was the only option, now after reading several books by people who have done a thru-hike, as well as talking with people on here, I am really not sure. I was hoping to get in touch with someone who has completed the thru-hike with a dog and really see if they would have changed anyhting..... if there is anyone out there please drop me a line. Again thank you to all and I will continue to check back if there is anyone else out there with some info. :-)
    Big A

....take him.....just stay away from hostels/shelters..........

Images

Default Top Ten List

Quote Originally Posted by SOBO 2011 View Post
    I have a boxer/pitbull mix - both breeds are in the top 10 "best dogs for hiking," so I am really not worried if he can make it due to ability but rather the trail.
    If you are serious about such a list, I would like to see it. Can you post it or provide a link?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    The odds of starting a thru-hike and finishing is 5 to 1. 80% of those who start, don't finish. With a dog the odds change to probably 10 to 1. What I'm saying is that for every 10 folks who attempt a thru-hike with a dog, only 1 will succeed.
    If you are serious about doing a thru-hike and finishing, reconsider taking a dog.
    I'm not buying and I don't even care for dogs on the AT. ATC's numbers such as they are don't support it and a dog can be sent home if plans are made for that possibility in advance. There's a certain amount of luck involved with completing a through hike, but luck favors those with experience who are prepared and motivated to succeed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by karoberts View Post
    I've only done 1000 miles, but I did it all with my dog. You can learn about my experience by watching my video, here:

Hiking with a dog is A LOT of extra work and has many added inconveniences. I think that a boxer/pitt would not do well because of pad problems. Hiking all day every day is not for every dog. I think working breeds do better on the trail. You may also want to think about the kinds of reactions others will have to your dog.
    Why not a Boxer? I've got a Boxer that I was going to take out this weekend to see how he does on a short twenty something miler. I think he'll be fine. What's a pad problem too? Are you talking about sleeping? Nice video and by the way..........its called appa - latch - in trail. I'm kiddin.

Images

Dogs are a lot tougher than most people think. You have to get them in shape on the trail just like you do.
    They should be very well trained and non agressive to other dogs and people.
    It will be more work for you, but you must decide if it's worth it.
    Talk to superman.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

I know of at least one person who has hiked extensively on the A.T. with a pit bull, and I'm convinced that this is a maligned breed of dog, meaning are there are a lot of real idiots who own and keep pit bulls for wrong reasons? Absolutely. But a well cared-for, well-behaved, well-trained pit bull can do just fine on the the Trail. I've seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Why not a Boxer? I've got a Boxer that I was going to take out this weekend to see how he does on a short twenty something miler. I think he'll be fine. What's a pad problem too? Are you talking about sleeping? Nice video and by the way..........its called appa - latch - in trail. I'm kiddin.
    By pads I mean the bottom on their feet. The reason I think a boxer or a pitt might not do well is because their pads might not hold up. Last summer, I ran into three AT hiker dogs with pad problems: a lab, a weimaraner, and a pitt mix. They all had the same sort of problem which was pads falling off or sloughing off after hiking a rocky section. This is a very painful problem. Poor dogs. Such a thing has never happened to my dog Henry.

Images

two of those are sporting dog breeds. Pads on all dogs can be toughened up over time. That's the thing about hiking with a dog, you not only have to check on how you're feeling but you have to be on top of how your dog's feeling. Then match a pace and rest accordingly
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by karoberts View Post

I personally enjoyed you very professional video, you put a frequent smile on my face, and I love the ending... Great Hike!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Sheepdog, good point. I totally forgot to mention that you need to train your dog for the trail just as you would yourself. (But if you're depending on getting in shape on trail, you can't make that choice for your dog- he needs to be in pretty good shape when you start)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++