WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Should I get the SOLO 12? (please post a reason after voting.

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

Default Need a new tent: any ideas?

I am satisfied with my bivy: for now at least... It is roomy enough to sleep wo/ any motion, but because there is no tarp, there is a large amount of condensation in the tent by morning. All that is well and good with a synthetic bag, but i am putting a lot of thought into buying a down bag and if i roll over once at night in the winter: i could wake up dead (or worse, hungry. no relevance or relation between wet bag and hunger that i can see...) So, to follow all of your suggestions of needing more room: The North Face Solo 12 Tent. $209 @ http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/w...ariationId=1W3
    or $149 @ http://www.kimballjones.com/shop/nor...20zmap=TNF6042

What are your thoughts. It seems large enough to sit up un. I may need to drag my gear inside if it's wet... just tell me and vote on my poll
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

For that weight you could get the taptent squall 2 and have a world of room.

Images

I'm looking for a 4-season tent... i dont know if this will work or not... also, i am probably going to bring a hammock on my '13 nobo. any thoughts on this?
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Images

hammocks for me are the way to go. Set up easy and very comfortable.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

The hennesy hammocks hyperlight asym looks pretty good. I would still need the tent for bAse-camp type things where trees aren't readily availible with perfect spacing. Any more thoughts are well appreciated.
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

As far as tents go, the MSR Hubba is very well regarded and darn near bombproof. From what I've seen, it's very easy to set up and tear down. An excellent choice that you probably can't go wrong with.

As far as hammocks go, that's a subject I know a lot more about. IMO, especially from a comfort standpoint, you can't go wrong with a hammock. About any Hennessy is a good starter hammock, but beware the stock rain fly. It's pretty small and offers little in regard to lateral and end protection from wind driven precipitation. Most folks go with a larger, aftermarket tarp such as an OES MacCat, Speer, Warbonnet or Jacks r Better. Right now, the Cadillac of hammocks on the market is the Warbonnet Blackbird. Super-duper comfy with 4 different options for ordering, it's my current fave. But then gain, I'm the guy with 4 different hammocks. If you're even remotely interested in hammocks, do your research over on Hammock Forums. It's the best place on the net for all things hammocking. Just bear in mind that hammocking is constantly and very rapidly evolving, so what works now may not be the best when you thru in 2013. Best advice? Keep your finger on the pulse.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Wow... I knew this whole place was a sub-division of hammock forums... But then again, I was asking about a tent... At first. When I get s comp. I'll check it out.
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

Images

Quote Originally Posted by David@whiteblaze View Post
    Wow... I knew this whole place was a sub-division of hammock forums... But then again, I was asking about a tent... At first. When I get s comp. I'll check it out.
    Actually, Hammock Forums is a "subdivision" of Whiteblaze. WB as around for about 5 years before Troll created HF. There's still some hammocking info here, but it's not even a drop in the bucket compared to all the hammocking goodness over at HF.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    As far as tents go, the MSR Hubba is very well regarded and darn near bombproof. From what I've seen, it's very easy to set up and tear down. An excellent choice that you probably can't go wrong with.

As far as hammocks go, that's a subject I know a lot more about. IMO, especially from a comfort standpoint, you can't go wrong with a hammock. About any Hennessy is a good starter hammock, but beware the stock rain fly. It's pretty small and offers little in regard to lateral and end protection from wind driven precipitation. Most folks go with a larger, aftermarket tarp such as an OES MacCat, Speer, Warbonnet or Jacks r Better. Right now, the Cadillac of hammocks on the market is the Warbonnet Blackbird. Super-duper comfy with 4 different options for ordering, it's my current fave. But then gain, I'm the guy with 4 different hammocks. If you're even remotely interested in hammocks, do your research over on Hammock Forums. It's the best place on the net for all things hammocking. Just bear in mind that hammocking is constantly and very rapidly evolving, so what works now may not be the best when you thru in 2013. Best advice? Keep your finger on the pulse.
    Actually, Hammock Forums is a "subdivision" of Whiteblaze. WB as around for about 5 years before Troll created HF. There's still some hammocking info here, but it's not even a drop in the bucket compared to all the hammocking goodness over at HF.

I've checked out Hooch's Warbonnet and it is off the chain (I heard some teens saying this so I think its a cool saying, hell if I know). But the comfort level in the warbonnet IMO is second to none. I may be picking one up as soon as I am able to clear my closet of some other gear.

Images

Not intending to knock hammocks. I have a Speer and love it when I carry it. It is easy to set up, and I agree it's the most comfortable sleep I've had in the outdoors. My problem is finding a solution for bottom insulation that doesn't kick the total weight of the hammock, tarp, bottom insulation (a blue pad works, but is less comfortable than a underquilt and a bit of a hassle to sleep on), and sleeping bag quite a bit above the weight for a similar temp set-up on the ground. Not to mention the extra bulk. Especially since you mentioned it for 4 season. Some folks claim to have found solutions they are happy with, but they all seem to cost substantially more than I'm willing to spend, hence my hammock is reserved for relatively short, warm-weather outings. I do enjoy it then!!!!

I currently am trying a GoLite Shangri-La 2 for winter. The jury is still out, but it seems to be a reasonable performer thus far.

I have no experience with the tent you specifically asked about.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Not intending to knock hammocks. I have a Speer and love it when I carry it. It is easy to set up, and I agree it's the most comfortable sleep I've had in the outdoors. My problem is finding a solution for bottom insulation that doesn't kick the total weight of the hammock, tarp, bottom insulation (a blue pad works, but is less comfortable than a underquilt and a bit of a hassle to sleep on), and sleeping bag quite a bit above the weight for a similar temp set-up on the ground. Not to mention the extra bulk. Some folks claim to have found solutions they are happy with, but they all seem to cost substantially more than I'm willing to spend, hence my hammock is reserved for relatively short, warm-weather outings. I do enjoy it then!!!!

I currently am trying a GoLite Shangri-La 2 for winter. The jury is still out, but it seems to be a reasonable performer thus far.

I have no experience with the tent you specifically asked about.

Lyle, I have the same issue. I have a homemade synthetic underquilt. The weight is livable, but the bulk does become somewhat of an issue. But when I think of sleeping on the ground all night, waking up sore, and spending one or two miles of hiking getting rid of that soreness; I prefer to work around the bulk. I wake up each morning ready to hike after a night in my hammock. I have a tent, but I use it mainly for car camping trips now.

Images

The Warbonnet Blackbird is made by a one man operation in Colorado. I have quite a love for good, well made cottage gear and the Warbonnet is cottage gear at its finest. His hammocks are all made by him and there's usually a 2-3 week waiting list for his hammocks, tarps and underquilts, but the wait is well worth it. Nothing is outsourced or made in China. (Like some other hammock manufacturers who shall remain nameless. But his initials are Tom Hennessy.) Big thumbs up to Warbonnet! Like I said in a previous post, it's pretty much the Cadillac of Hammocks.

Images

blah, blah, blah . . .
    It's a great day to be alive !

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac_in View Post
    blah, blah, blah . . .

Are you dry yet rainman?

Images

High and dry. That was the most rain I've ever been out in. Kind of fun to hike in it, actually.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac_in View Post
    blah, blah, blah . . .
    BigMac if you don't shut the **** up, I'm gonna ****in' sic Kanga on your ass and you'll be in a big ass world of hurt then.*

*Not. BigMac is cool in my book.

Journal Entries
    Images

BigMac if you don't shut the **** up, I'm gonna ****in' sic Kanga on your ass and you'll be in a big ass world of hurt then.*

*Not. BigMac is cool in my book.
    Yeah, and Kanga laid down the cigs this week. I bet she is ready to beat the $hit out of anyone who might be willing to try right about now!!

If you want a double wall winter tent go for a stephensons warmlite.

If you want a 3 season tent I would do one of the following depending on what your objectives are...

One person

Gatewood cape and a bug tent
    GG the one
    Tarptent subsil
    Tarptent Moment

Two person

Tarptent double rainbow.

If you will be packing a hammock, and want a ground shelter you will already have a tarp, so just buy or build a SUL bug tent at about 6-7oz. If you dont want to use a tarp for a fly, then I would go for a gatewood cape and use that as raingear too.

Images

Or let me be devils advocate.

Find a moderately price 2 or three man tent. You have time, and will enjoy having a compadre with you.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Hammocks don't work where I live, and that Solo 12 weighs a full pound and a half more than my Sublite. Twice as much as my Lunar Solo.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++