WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Bubble in my compass

I got a small liquid filled Coleman compass. Somehow it got a bubble. I don't know how it got in there. Its not leaking and has never been dropped. Its my favorite compass. Got any ideas on how to fix, or is it finished?

Panzer
    (it was a good, loyal compass)

i beleve thats normal and usually gets larger at higher elevations
    GRAVY

yep its normal and there is no way to fix it that I know of.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

You see what I mean? You fell in love with a piece of gear and it broke your heart. Sad...very sad.

I had a compass that would get a bubble appearing at about 4000 feet elevation. It also functioned as a crude altimeter.

Don't worry about it, the liquid is only there to prevent the needle from bouncing around and the bubble means nothing as long as the compass isn't leaking.

I've heard that letting the compass get too cold causes those small bubbles to appear. Not sure about that, if the vial is air tight there should be no way to introduce a bubble. But I've been told that keeping the compass in your pocket or around your neck, rather than in your pack, and not letting it get cold at night will prevent the bubble. As others have said tho, the bubble is harmless, so long as it doesn't push the needle. Some are more prone to bubble than others, and in an effort to NOT let a piece of gear break your heart, I'd suggest getting several compasses and spread your love around. Play the directional field, as it were.

HYOH, but bring your own map.

Ranc0r

Images

I figured the bubble was for expansion/contraction. Or for leveling. Glad it isn't an issue.

Images

I'd think it could be used for both. Just an unintended side benefit.

bubbles are often the result of temperature extremes (left in the trunk, on the back seat with the searing Texas Sun on it). You can contact Coleman and see if they will replace it.
    I had two orienteering compass's decide (my fault actually) that they would like it better in the Southern Hemisphere. I called up the warranty department, fessed up that it was my fault. I paid the shipping back to them and they replaced them!
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Images

I have a Silva that this happened to. I called them and they said it this isnt normal. They will replace it for free. I found out there is a micro hole where the bezel meets turns in the base plate that allows wee amonts of air in at times. A lil bit is ok as the bubble gets bigger it will be harder to keep a good reading on the compass.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Images

If memory serves to get rid of the bubble place the compass in direct sunlight during a warm day, this could fix it.
    The journey of 10,000 miles, begins with the first step.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jayboflavin04 View Post
    I have a Silva that this happened to. I called them and they said it this isnt normal. They will replace it for free. I found out there is a micro hole where the bezel meets turns in the base plate that allows wee amonts of air in at times. A lil bit is ok as the bubble gets bigger it will be harder to keep a good reading on the compass.
    Same thing happened to my Silva and they replaced it.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Doesn't hurt anything, but it's a PITA having to keep the compass oriented such that the bubble does not interfere with the free movement of the needle in response to the magnetic field of the Earth.

Images

here's a picture of my compass I found on amazon.com They are advertising it with a bubble. Do you see the bubble? You can click on the picture to make it bigger.

compass.jpg

Journal Entries
    Images

woo - yea - the liquid is kerosene - if you can open it - its fixable. other brands are embarrassed = So fix it yourself or live with it - Timex and Coleman are the fast food of the industry..... Need more info PM Me.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

2 weeks ago in 40 degrees my Suunto had a bubble, I am looking at it right now... no bubble.

Just Hitting My Stride!

The following is from Backpacker Magazine:
    Q.} What causes–and how do you prevent–air bubbles from showing up in liquid filled compasses? Just about every liquid filled compass I have used usually gets a small air bubble in it.
    Submitted by:

A.} First off, Mark, never fear: a small bubble in your compass will not affect its accuracy. Bubbles can form from high elevation or exposure to cold temperatures, which cause the liquid to contract, leaving an air bubble behind. Usually, the bubble will disappear when the compass is returned to sea level and/or room temperature. If it doesn't, place it in a warm spot-like a sunny windowsill-so the liquid can heat, expand, and return to it's normal volume.

++ New Posts ++