WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 3 things

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I wouldnt recommend a 20 degree campmor bag for a woman. Too cold, IMO. Need a good quality 15 degree bag to start. Don't skimp or you will be cold and miserable and want to go home. I love my Montbell ul down hugger.

Get your pack last.

And I'd look at the MSR hubba. You can go with a tarptent, etc (I ahve one I use) but I think its good to have this esp when you get to NE with bugs tent platforms, and chaotic weather. We had the hubba hubba up north (I hiked with my son) and never regretted it once.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Note that pack capacity can come in two ways: the internal capacity, and the capacity of everything you can cram into external mesh or other pockets or strap onto the outside. For example, my GG Mariposa Plus is listed as having an internal (inside pack body) capacity of 2800 c.i., and that includes extending the extension collar higher than I really like to. But it also lists 800 c.i. of capacity in the external mesh pockets.

I'm starting the AT in late Feb, when I understand it gets fairly cold, and I'm confident that I'll have no problem fitting everything in --- entering the Sierras on the PCT last year I had similar cold weather gear plus ice axe, mini-crampons and a bear can with more food than will be needed on the AT, and I managed to cram it all in (and on) the pack somehow.

So I agree with Turtle2, very much depending on how light and how minimal your overall gear is, a 3000 c.i. pack strikes me as possibly capacity constrained for really cold weather, but this very much depends on what that 3000 c.i. rating does or does not include.

As a future thru hiker you are in the right place. Read all the articles here and do searches as new questions arise. You may find the many differing opinions confusing but remember that an experienced hiker has developed a gear system that reflects a personal hiking style. As you gain experience your kit will supprt your own style.

I lived in Florida for several years and found it a good place for winter hiking. I would suggest that you check out your local Sierra Club outings and try to tag along with some experienced hikers. You should try to rent or borrow some gear to get an idea of what you like and don't like before you have a closet full of gear that no longer fits your evolving hiking style(hard to totally avoid this though).

If you are facing a real steep outdoor skill learing curve, consider doing a short course with NOLS or Outward Bound. Check them out on Youtube. The advantages include a safe way to learn basic skills and a big boost in self confidence, which is a great part of long distance hiking. You will also learn that simple equipment is adequate and often preferable for a safe and comfortable hike.

Hope to see you out on the trail.

Images

A woman's Eureka Casper mummy bag may be right up your ally. It weighs 3lbs 1 ounce (which I think is pretty reasonable, but then again I have carried 10 pounds of wool blankets) and compresses pretty well. My men's Casper is compressed down to 8x12 inches. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___45338

Find out if you are a "cold-sleeper" or a "warm sleeper".

I purchased a min-max temp device.

Try a reputable brand temperature-rated sleep system: include a sleeping pad.

Wear some "longjohns" top and bottom (and clean socks) for sleepwear inside the sleeping bag, for example. You will want to have the option provided by dressing in layers (the "layer system" and you will want to keep your sleeping bag clean inaide and out: ground sheet, bivy, full (if lightweight) tarp tent. Whatever.

If you can get a rental, do so.

Try this out in your backyard or, at least, not far from shelter.

Then, do "day hikes" out-and-back.

Find out the little stuff: use an alcohol stove system, cannister stove or "white gas" stove. Like that. Then, find out the small stuff: big Jim Bowie type knife, or little cheese spread knife.

Assigned "homework": read my website.

I am not selling anything.

If you do need to "cut costs" consider DIY Do it Yourself.

There are excellent websites for DIY.

There are people right here in the forum that know excellent DIY.

Images

I have several sleeping bags and my REI bag is by far the most optimistic as far as temp rating. highly disappointed. I don't have any of the super pricey ones but I love my marmot.
    I used to use synthetic but I cant imagine hiking around with anything other then down.

This is not a high end down bag but its under 3 lbs, down and about $125 w coupon
    also my GF is a cold sleeper and went through several sleeping bags before falling in love with this one. she has used it comfortably to about 19.
    http://www.rei.com/product/765628?pr...:referralID=NA

you will spend alot of time in your sleeping bag and on your sleeping pad. get somethign confy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NellieInez View Post
    I tried the search function and got nothing so here are my three things I am looking for opinions on for a thru-hike. I'm ready to buy the eqip I will be using on the AT so I can start trying out while its cooler down here in FL.

pack
    http://www.rei.com/product/779997

tent
    http://www.rei.com/product/782657

sleeping bag
    http://www.rei.com/product/777919

Thanks again loverlys
    Research about cold weather camping. I've had it go down to about 5 degrees in March in NC on the AT. This FL boy almost froze to death! I know it can get cold here in NFL but it is different than the AT.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++