WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default A hiker thermos?

After reading the hot cocoa thread, I was inspired. Does anyone know of a good thermos that doesn't weigh a huge amount that would fit nicely into my pack? I have a Nissan Bullet thermos right now (for work and home) which I LOVE. Put hot goodness in there at night, still burns your tongue the next morning. But it's a bit big... Does anyone know of a perfect hiker thermos?

It would be so nice to wake up on trail in February with a thermos full of HOT chocolate......

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Hmm...never looked at a Thermos from a weight standard, but I use this one and just weighed it at 11oz:

http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Nissan...5025025&sr=8-1

The "2 cuppa" works well for solo use. Stick it in your sleeping bag and you should have at least a very warm to just under hot beverage in the AM.

I have a "4 cuppa" that I use for group hikes sometimes.

Thermos USED to make a Titanium (yes!) version of the 2 cuppa for only 2 oz less..and it looks like they retailed for almost $200!

Egads...

http://www.theme-gifts.com/thernisallti.html

You can still find them for sale on gear wonk forums if you really want to save 2 oz.

I'll stick to the 11 oz version for $25.
    Last edited by Mags; 10-08-2009 at 14:19.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    After reading the hot cocoa thread, I was inspired. Does anyone know of a good thermos that doesn't weigh a huge amount that would fit nicely into my pack? I have a Nissan Bullet thermos right now (for work and home) which I LOVE. Put hot goodness in there at night, still burns your tongue the next morning. But it's a bit big... Does anyone know of a perfect hiker thermos?

It would be so nice to wake up on trail in February with a thermos full of HOT chocolate......
    You can always wrap a lesser Thermos with Reflectix for a warmer one

I will say that for snowshoeing I have a simple metal bullet shape by Thermos and it works great.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images

http://www.rei.com/product/759224

I don't know if it will keep Cocoa hot overnight(never tried it)but it might.

Weighs @ 3 oz. IIRC...
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Whatever you do, don't make the mistake I made and get a Sigg liter thermos. Heavy as a motard with double walled stainless steel. Looks cool and keeps liquids hot all night long, but unpackable due to the weight. I know, after 75lbs, who cares?

Images

Wow. I don't even want to think about how much that sucker weighs if Tipi won't carry it.

Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

I have one of the silver bullet ones too. That isn't what I call it... but this is a family forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Wow. I don't even want to think about how much that sucker weighs if Tipi won't carry it.

With a full liter it feels like I'm holding an old timey car jack.

Weighs @ 3 oz. IIRC...
    Something like the above keeps water warmish (non-freezing, anyway) for during the day. Popular with the backcountry crowd in winter for making sure the water does not freeze. It does not keep liquids as warm as a thermos I find, though

You can make your own cozy with an old foam pad and duct tape, an old wool sock (or synthetic) for a liner and a heavy plastic shopping bag to waterproof it all.

It ain't pretty, but it makes use of the odds and ends many of have kicking around in our gear room. I know I do.
    Last edited by Mags; 10-08-2009 at 19:08.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

The OR equivalent of the Nalgene cozy, filled with boiling water in the AM, will keep the water unfrozen but not real warm at the end of the day at 0F temps. In the same 0F temps a 1 liter thermos kept hot chocolate warm verging on hot.

The real deal would not use Titanium, but Uranium, as the inside layer of a thermos. It has greater thermal mass, plus the radioactive decay would warm the hot chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    In the same 0F temps a 1 liter thermos kept hot chocolate warm verging on hot.

A few years back, we did a snowshoe trip out and back to Mt. Audubon. A local peak that is fairly straightforward in the summer..but a little more challenging in the winter. During the winter, due to a gate closure, the trip is over 13 miles R/T and 3000' gain. On showshoes, you can imagine it being a bit more of a butt kicker vs summer.

Long story short, we arrived back at the car at just about dark (it was just a couple of weeks Christmas. Gets dark really early..and a few of us were a little hungover and tired from the Xmas party we went to the night before. Not smart. ).

Anyway..my "four cuppa" was in the car, waiting. Who knows how cold it was at that hour in the dark. And we were at 10k feet in the parking lot. It was a bit...brisk.

All I know is that the tea was piping hot.

It tasted damn good.

(The above photo is not me. I'm much less easy on the eyes!)
    Last edited by Mags; 10-08-2009 at 19:08.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

I have an Aquatherm by Granite Gear and in the cool fall weather it keeps the contents of my Nalgene hot for 1/2 hour and warm for about 1 hour.

Images

Weighs @ 3 oz. IIRC...
    Skids, I carry two of these in the winter in the DAKs. they will keep water from freezing solid during the course of a day. I usually fill them with close to boiling water and they are lukewarm by lunch. 'Course this is in zero to minus temps. For a 30 degree day, they might last a little longer.

In addition to the OR water bottle Parkas, I also carry the 16 Oz Nissan Stainless Steel Vacuum bottle for longer days when I need some coffee or soup late in the afternoon. In subzero weather, the contents will still be warm around 4PM if filled at say 6AM.
    For overnights, (only if I am if I am pulking), I carry the 2 litre Stainless Vacuum bottle and that will keep boiling water very hot all night in subzero weather.

I would recommend that if you are getting a thermos, get a good one and pay the money. you don't want to buy junk and have a vacuum leak a few years from now and end up with cold liquids in a few hours. My Nissans are at least 15 years old and still keep liquids piping hot all day in cool weather.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

Toolshed that's good to know about the Nissans as I am thinking of picking one up for my tea. It would be nice to have hot tea when walking to Tobias' school and after taking the kids outside for their recesses.

Images

If you want truly hot water over the course of a day, suck up the weight of a real thermos. The half-liter version is well worth the weight when you're in sub-freezing conditions all day. The ability to have a hot drink or soup at lunch time is a real blessing and if you get the first warming signs of hypothermia creeping up, it is very helpful to not have to fumble with a stove in order to get that first warming drink.

I carry this one when solo and the bigger one (only 5 ounces more!) with my wife.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

I find it funny how we are all suggesting the same Nissan Thermos.
    (The REI one looks to be the same, just REI branding ?)

This may be a record thread...everyone is in agreement on WB.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post

I have the 16 oz Nissan thermos and I carry it empty or half full. It is great to wake up to a hot cup of whatever the next morning. I fill it up at dinner the night before.. sometimes I drink half at breakfast and half at lunch the next day.
    Sue Buak

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I find it funny how we are all suggesting the same Nissan Thermos.
    (The REI one looks to be the same, just REI branding ?)

This may be a record thread...everyone is in agreement on WB.
    No, we don't, 11 oz of alcohol would heat LOTS of water.

The pint size ones usually end up in the clearance rack, I see them practically every year. I have one, the instant gratification is worth the weight.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++