WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Dehydrating Beans

The other day, I tried dehydrating canned pinto beans, and they all split open. Is there any way to avoid this, or is it just what happens when you dry beans?

i don't see any harm in it. my dehydrated food always looks a little scary, but it sure tastes good out in the woods! all goes to the same place right?

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

It will happen to a certain extent. The trick with beans is to dry at 135°F unless they are with meats. When you rehydrate, don't stir too much, or they'll mush a bit.

Here is a photo of my chili after rehydrating.

Wow LaurieAnn... that looks *really* good.

Beth

Wandering Vagabond
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    Wow LaurieAnn... that looks *really* good.
    I'll second that

No it doesn't affect it. Even commercial dryed beans will have splits.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images

Thanks Beth and MintakaCat. I think I actually might make some this weekend... lol... my own picture is sparking a craving and we have a trip coming up so I can have dinner and dry the leftovers.

Lustreking... I'll take a picture of how this looks when dried just to give you an idea of how the beans generally turn out.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

I dry frozen blackeyed peas without the splitting issue. Could it also work for pintos, navy beans, cannelinis, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I dry frozen blackeyed peas without the splitting issue. Could it also work for pintos, navy beans, cannelinis, etc.?
    Yes. One thing about frozen black eyed peas over canned ones is how firm they are. I prefer using the frozen ones - better taste, less sodium and love the texture!
    Trail Cooking

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lustreking View Post
    The other day, I tried dehydrating canned pinto beans, and they all split open. Is there any way to avoid this, or is it just what happens when you dry beans?
    Instead of buying canned pinto beans and then using your precious time and energy to dehydrate them, why don't you spend $1.00 and buy a bag of dried pinto beans? Promise I'm not trying to be a smart-ass!

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieAnn View Post
    It will happen to a certain extent. The trick with beans is to dry at 135°F unless they are with meats. When you rehydrate, don't stir too much, or they'll mush a bit.

Lustreking... I'll take a picture of how this looks when dried just to give you an idea of how the beans generally turn out.
    Thanks, LaurieAnn, that definitely does look tasty! I think that I ran mine at 140º. Maybe 5 degrees will make a difference? I'll try it a little cooler next time.

Maybe I'll take a picture too. "Split" may not be the best way to describe them. "Exploded open" might be more accurate! They taste and I'm sure will work fine in any recipe, but I was hoping they'd stay looking more bean-like.

Quote Originally Posted by World-Wide View Post
    Instead of buying canned pinto beans and then using your precious time and energy to dehydrate them, why don't you spend $1.00 and buy a bag of dried pinto beans? Promise I'm not trying to be a smart-ass!
    Because dried beans would literally require HOURS of soaking and cooking before use, as opposed to minutes of rehydration.

Default Chili w/beans

Here is a photo of my chili after rehydrating.

LaurieAnn,
    I checked your "Wilderness Cooking" website but did not find the rescipe for this chili. Is there any chance that you would post this rescipe for everyone who might be interested?

Images

Give my three bean chili recipe a try. I make it and dehydrate it all the time. It doesn't get mush easier than this. It's named after one of my favorite places on the trail so far - Cheoah Bald.

Cheoah Chili

1 can Del Monte Petite Cut Diced Tomatoes w/ Garlic & Olive Oil - 15oz.
    1 can Red Beans - 15oz.
    1 can Pinto Beans - 15oz.
    1 can White beans - 15oz.
    2 tbsp. chili powder
    1 tbsp. corn starch
    1 tbsp. brown sugar
    1/2 tbsp. garlic powder
    1/2 tbsp. onion powder
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. turmeric
    1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

In a medium stock pot heat all can contents (do no rinse beans, add as-is). Add all spices followed by corn starch, stirring thoroughly. Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally until chili starts to bubble. Enjoy!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lustreking View Post
    Because dried beans would literally require HOURS of soaking and cooking before use, as opposed to minutes of rehydration.
    Got it!! That's why I asked the question!!

Yep...cooked and dehydrated beans = instant beans. All they need is hot water and a few minutes. You can soak in cool water as well with more time.
    Trail Cooking

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy Yates View Post
    LaurieAnn,
    I checked your "Wilderness Cooking" website but did not find the rescipe for this chili. Is there any chance that you would post this rescipe for everyone who might be interested?
    Hi Rowdy... I'll have several recipes... I just got in from the garden (I've been planting all day) so once I've had some dinner and a rest I'll pull the one from the photo out of the manuscript from my book and pm it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy Yates View Post
    LaurieAnn,
    Hi Rowdy... I'll have several recipes... I just got in from the garden (I've been planting all day) so once I've had some dinner and a rest I'll pull the one from the photo out of the manuscript from my book and pm it to you.
    I said it looked good first.....

Beth

Images

lol - is that a hint Beth... anyway I'll probably just post it here. I try to limit posting too much from the book as to not step on my publisher's toes. They've been super good to me... but once in awhile I can make an exception. Give me about 10 minutes to dig it up. I was going to last night but after moving all the antique brick I've discovered a few muscles I forgot I had...

lol - is that a hint Beth... anyway I'll probably just post it here. I try to limit posting too much from the book as to not step on my publisher's toes. They've been super good to me... but once in awhile I can make an exception. Give me about 10 minutes to dig it up. I was going to last night but after moving all the antique brick I've discovered a few muscles I forgot I had...
    Well, actually, it was the perfect set up for that one-liner. But, since you offered, I'll be happy to try it! (I already grabbed it off your other post.) Thank you, and tell your publisher that you just "primed the pump" of your potential buyers. In truth though, I think I need a personal chef, not a recipe, but that's a whole different story... .

Thanks for sharing, and the story behind the name of the chili was touching.

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by sarbar View Post
    Yes. One thing about frozen black eyed peas over canned ones is how firm they are. I prefer using the frozen ones - better taste, less sodium and love the texture!
    Ah ha! I usually dry the canned ones, but the frozen ones are easier to find. I'll have to try this next time round (soon). I'll try and remember to post a report.

FWIW, my canned beans always split. Some brands are worse than others. They still taste good rehydrated though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++