WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default lightweight bible's

i amlooking for a good lightweight bible there was a thred a while back that mentioned some but dose anyone no of any good ones or have some advice on what may work good
    GRAVY

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't know of any supplier, but I will be checking back to see if you find your answer, because I would like to know, too.
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

Images

Most Christian bookstores will sell a variety of pocket sized Bibles. I carry a complete one that weighs 10 oz. Lots of folks just carry a Gideon New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs. That weighs a little less. I did purchase the Outdoor Bible because it is waterproof, but found it too heavy. So I just keep my pocket Bible in a zip baggy.

Images

What about one of those small new testaments that are always being given away by the Gideons?

On the other hand here is the link to the particular thread discussing lightweight bibles and some of the posts have links to sources -- http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30250

Here is a link to outdoors/water proof bibles -- http://www.bardinmarsee.com/c-8-the-...bible-kjv.aspx

I have a little 1917 US Army new testament used by a soldier in WW1 on my shelf.

Images

i don't know of a whole bible, but there's a pocket sized 'new testement' that's about 1/2" x 3 x 4. the us military also made something with a camo cover, but i don't know if it was the whole thing or just the NT. it's more like 3/4 x 4 x 5. you can find them in places like used bookstores and thrift shops, or sometimes even in the backs of churches.

if nothing else, try a catholic shop or christian bookstore. they can order one for you if they don't have something on hand.
    Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you. John Muir

I can have a bible in my iPod Touch: 4.5 oz.

I would rather have a book of Psalms.

I have a number of books in the Stanza app and the eBook app.

i found one but they say there is problems with the zipper no big problem but i'm not sure of the weight has any one heard of this one
    http://www.christianbook.com/Christi...ew=covers#curr
    although at the price thats not bad to test out
    GRAVY

Images

If you have a Palm device or a I phone or a BB or anything like one of those you can go to Olivetree.com and they have free bibles and a reader program. Actually they have a ton of free content.
    Miracles; they are by nature unbelievable so the mind must rationalize them or justify God is real.

Images

I have a New Testament Bible which is from my days in the military (early 70). I looked on the inside of the cover and it is printed by American Bible Society, you can probably google it.
    The journey of 10,000 miles, begins with the first step.

Images

I like to carry one that's big enough to beat someone with if the need arises

I carried a 10 ounce small bible on my hike. I was also carrying some sort of book with me most of the time, at another 10-16 ounces. Next time I will carry one of these: http://mybebook.com/p11/BeBook-&%233...duct_info.html at 5.6 ounces. It can also do PDF files, and the thruhikers companion comes in PDF form for free.
    "I always told you I was more of a Westerner than an Easterner"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

Journal Entries
    Images

Well its worth a look - this has been around a while a weightless bible!

http://blackberry.beiks.com/bible.asp
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Quote Originally Posted by Powder River View Post
    Next time I will carry one of these: http://mybebook.com/p11/BeBook-&%233...duct_info.html at 5.6 ounces. It can also do PDF files, and the thruhikers companion comes in PDF form for free.
    Wow... that looks like an economical alternative to the Amazon Kindle. I guess the "downside" is not being able to download on the fly, but you probably wouldn't be doing that so much on the trail anyway. On the plus side, it doubles as an mp3 player. Pretty nice!
    Deuteronomy 23:12-13 "Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with… dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

Journal Entries
    Images

The tiny little bibles, I end up not reading. Too hard at night, when I usually try to read them. I then discovered GoBible. Look it up at GoBible.com It looks similar to an I-Pod and much less expensive. It is an electronic digital recording of the Bible. You can go from OT to NT, to individual books, chapters, verses etc. Bookmarks, and some other features. I have enjoyed it more than any other recording of the I have bought. It is light. I particularly like the person reading, he is an englishman and so the diction, pronounciation and etc., are terrific.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

I believe this is the one I carry:

Zondervan, "NIV Compact Thinline Bible", ISBN- 031093771X, Available at Amazon.com for $20.23. Just search for the ISBN on their site. 7.1 x 4.9 x 1.3 inches, 0.93 lbs (421 gms)

I also have a digital version on my Dell Axim PDA from OliveTree Software which includes the NIV and KJV:

http://www.olivetree.com/ilumina/

Faarside aka WhiteHorse

"... The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep... Miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

Images

I got a small copy of the New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs at a Christian book store. It was published by Zonderman. Call me old school but I still like a book over electronic devices. The Bible weighs next to nothing and I need my glasses for map reading anyway.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

assuming you can download it, amazon's kindle weighs only 10.2oz and you can carry more than just the bible....
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Journal Entries
    Images

Faarside: do you carry your PDA hiking? How much does it weigh?
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

Sometimes people give small copies of the NT as baby shower gifts. I found one like that at Barnes & Noble. It's a KJV of the NT plus Psalms, 4.5" x 2.75" x .5", print is not tiny. That plus a hiking rosary and a small vial of Holy Water = 3 oz.

You won't have any problems finding them along the trail especially down South. Heck, I forget where it was but someone left a whole case of 'em in the corner of a shelter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++