WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need help deciding between Marmot bags

So REI has 25% of Marmot bags and I have a $140 return receipt to burn. I live in Charlotte NC and hike in WNC (summer, spring, fall, maybe winter) and I was wondering whether I should invest in a 15 degree bag or 30 degree bag. My choices are for the 15 degrees: helium or pinnacle. 30 degree: arroyo or hydrogen.

I like the idea of a less expensive, lower weight 15 degree but Im not sure how low of temps I could use it even wearing some layers.

I like the idea of a warm, light weight bag but Im not sure how much winter camping I would do so Im not sure how much use I would get out of it.

I know these are vague observations but if anyone with some experience could enlighten me and make my choice easier I would appreciate it.

The weights aren't that different. Get the 15* and you can alway use it as a quilt in warmer weather.

geek

Images

agreed. i don't see the need for a +30, at least where i'm at. i have a +40 and a +20, and have order a +5 to hopefully start including winter backpacking (instead of just dayhikes). that pretty much covers me all year around
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

I would go with the Helium as it would be the most versatile if you are only going to have one bag. All of Marmot's bags are EN rated, so you can compare the warmth of each bag rather than going on the rather vague and unreliable (although Marmot is rather accurate on their down bags) 15*, 30*, etc retail rating.

The EN 13537 Ratings are

Helium
    Men: 16.3*F
    Woman: 27.7*F

Pinnacle
    Men: 10.0*F
    Women: 22.3*F

Hydrogen
    Men: 29.8*F
    Women: 39.2*F

Arroyo
    Men: 30.7*F
    Women: 39.9*F

Hanks all! I am gonig to go with the helium 15. All good points.

MOCS123 thanks for posting EN13537 standards on this thread and another recent one. What some don't realize is that just because a gear company posts a temp rating for a bag those ratings are not sometimes accurate or they are determined under certain conditions, like always sleeping inside an enclosed tent, which the user may not be using the bag. If we are ever going to make it less complicated to purchase sleeping bags we at least need to start by being able to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. In other words one companies 15* bag is comparable to another companies 15* bag in that they are both accurately rated the same way. As long as one doesn't get intimidated by such talk high sounding complicated talk as EN 13537 standards we all would realize they are a great tool when purchasing sleeping bags. Fortunately, for the OP Marmot sleeping bags, IMO, are one of those gear companies who do accurately temp rate their sleeping bags. Can't say this about every company though. That's why these standards are so helpful and, IMO, long overdue across the board in all sleeping bags.

Most Marmot bags are pretty close to their EN ratings, but not all. The Ultralite Synthetics are off by as much as 15*. I find that synthetics are more often overstated in warmth than down, which probably has something to do with down being a much better insulator for the weight.

I agree that a more standardized rating system like the EN13537 system needs to be implemented in the US. It doesn't mean that that bag will work at the rating, as everyone sleeps different, but at least they would be standardized between bags and brands so if you know you sleep colder than "average" you can compensate accordingly. As it is now one "15*" bag might EN rate to 10* while another "15*" might EN rate to 25* making comparisons almost impossible without the EN numbers.

One place I do see a lot of bags overstated is womens bags. Women sleep colder than men and there is a EN rating on every bag for women but manufactures continue to "rate" their bags more in line with the men's numbers making it very confusing. You would expect a bag advertised as a Women's 15* bag to keep the "average" woman warm at 15*.

Images

Default Marmot Helium or Hydrogen

These bags along with the Lithium are top of the line sleeping bags that are as ultra light as possible with out sacrificing the temperature rating. i would say you couldn't go wrong with either of the bags

You can always vent or quilt a warm bag. Warming up when you are cold is not easy, say at like 4 am. Get the helium, you will own it for many years if you take care of it.

++ New Posts ++