WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Another vote for the Petzl e+lite. Love mine.... what everyone else said about em. Good idea about a snack baggie for storage. That little hard case gets annoying.

How bright is the Petzl e+lite? i was looking at the
    Petzl Myo XP LED Headlamp at REI and it was really bright ... how do people feel about that?
    Big A

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SOBO 2011 View Post
    How bright is the Petzl e+lite?
    I've used it to find bear branches and hang food bags. Hiked with it. While not the ideal for these tasks it suffices. Great for most camp chores.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Here's a site with a lot of information on LED lights

http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/headlamps/lighting

i too used the Wally World 3 AAA version....works well, can't beat the price.
    i only wish you could turn it off without cycling through the other setting....
    "My life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, totally worn out, proclaiming: What a Ride!"

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by waldick View Post
    i too used the Wally World 3 AAA version....works well, can't beat the price.
    i only wish you could turn it off without cycling through the other setting....

Maybe you have a different version, but the 3 LED version I have has a slider switch for RED LED/OFF/WHITE LED.

Maybe other versions have a different type of switch? Who knows. See the MADE IN CHINA wonder comment.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I used the Princeton Tec "Apex" headlight in 2008 and will use it again next year. It's super bright at 130 lumens, has both hiking and camp light options, can use alkaline- lithium-rechargeable batteries (LED's are regulated), and is waterproof. Problem is it's HEAVY at about 279 grams and doesn't have the red or green light modes which is nice to have when your hanging around the shelter with others.

Yep, when you want bright it's the best game in town. When going light (no pun intended) it's not the best choice available.

Petzel defintely pushes a lot of different headlamps, but you should be aware that (a) they are not regulated and (b) they cannot take Lithium batteries. So I happen to think that Petzel is a bit overpriced for what they offer.

Go join candle power forums. Those guys get crazy testing all sorts of lights. The experts are over there, for sure.

Images

Princeton Tec Quad.
    It's bright enough to night hike and there are dimmer settings for around camp. The thing I love about it is how you change the batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Maybe you have a different version, but the 3 LED version I have has a slider switch for RED LED/OFF/WHITE LED.

Maybe other versions have a different type of switch? Who knows. See the MADE IN CHINA wonder comment.
    It sounds like waldick has the 6 led version, which I, too, have. It has a single pushbutton that you use to cycle through the light options.

Spot, Flood, Spot+Flood, Red, Off

It is kind of annoying that you have to go through bright, bright, brighter before you get to the red option, but otherwise I like the headlamp. You can find it at walmart for less than $15.

Images

Petzl, all the way! (I think there's another thread very similar to this one, there may be some good input there as well)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikingfieldguide View Post
    I have the princeton tec fuel which I really like. Budget wise it was nice. It has 3 bright settings and also a flashing one. The only thing I don't like is, I wish it had a red light option on it. I tend to have to put my hand on it or I blind people when I look at them. Other than that I love it thus far.
    I have to go with the Fuel too, even though I run into the same thing blinding people. I made a sleeve out of red acetate that I cut from a report cover and a piece of duct tape that I can slide on and off to give it the red filter option. Works so far.
    The best remedy for a short temper is a long walk. ~Jacqueline Schiff

Images

Black Diamond Spot. A great spotlight for hiking and alternate 3 small LEDs for general light around camp or in the tent. I have four different headlamps and this is the one I always grab.

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    Petzel defintely pushes a lot of different headlamps, but you should be aware that (a) they are not regulated and (b) they cannot take Lithium batteries. So I happen to think that Petzel is a bit overpriced for what they offer.
    Some of their new models do take Lithium batteries including the Tikka 2, Tikka XP, Tikka PLus, Zipka2, and others of the same line. Even in my old Tikka I've always used Lithium batteries even though they say that they can burn out the LEDs but never had a problem.

I have a Streamlight headlamp. Love it!

Single power white LED with 3 white 100,000 hour LEDs in the same reflector
    Three lighting modes: Power LED, single LED, three ultra-bright LEDs
    All models; White power LED: 2,000 candela peak beam intensity; 50 lumens
    Yellow Model: (1) white LED – 11 lumens, (3) white LEDs – 30 lumens; Camo Models: (1) safety green LED – 2.5 lumens, (3) safety green LEDs – 8 lumens
    Runs up to 7 hours on one power LED and up to 150 hours on a single LED
    Water-resistant, lightweight thermoplastic construction