WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

:banana Views on a headlamp? Thanks!

Looking for any info on headlamps and what people have used ... thanks
    Big A

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

What are you looking for? Absolute lightest weight? An all around headlamp? Lite but takes standard batteries? Etc..etc..etc.

Three options (there are many, many, many more!)

For the gram-counting weenie, the Mini-Mag headstrap coupled with a Photon II key chain light weighs less than an ounce. (.625 on my scale!) It is not meant at all for night hiking; pretty much go to the bathroom, write in your journal and in an extreme emergency get out of dodge. If you hike all day and do not spend much time in camp, not a bad option. I used this option for a while. The down side is that the lights are somewhat expensive for what you get ($15-$20), do not take standard batteries and I find the contacts wear out over time.

Something lite but takes standard batteries, try this one. It is now my backpacking headlamp of choice. Good enough for night hiking if need be, takes a standard AAA battery, and only 1.5 ounces. Seen it in Target branded as EDDIE BAUER, and it has been spotted in Lowe's as COAST CUTLERY. Probably another made-in-China wonder that is branded differently for different companies.

All purpose headlamp.. I now use the Wally World special that's always stashed in my daypack and use it on night hikes. Avail from Energizer. It is Thirteen bucks, last 50+ hrs on 3 standard AAA batteries (included!), has an easy on/easy off red LED (for night hiking/don't need a bright headlamp/don't want to wake up a tent mate) or standard white LED. At 2.5 ounces, with batteries and only $13 it is quite the deal. Found in your local Walmart or online.

Again, there are others, but the above is what I find suits my needs. I am dirtbagger though more so an ULer.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I think im looking for something dependable that takes reg Bat. and works well enough to see at night (taking a pee) and read as well ...
    Big A

You might look at the Petzl e+lite. It is 1.5 oz and has three led's incl case. Not sure why you need a case. 1 oz without the case.

Second the Petzl e+lite. Flashlight, headlamp, emergency strobe, but it takes a button cell battery which may not be YOUR standard. I have a photon-like unit that uses the same battery, the stay-on switch is a MUST when hiking.

Ranc0r

Quote Originally Posted by SOBO 2011 View Post
    I think im looking for something dependable that takes reg Bat. and works well enough to see at night (taking a pee) and read as well ...
    go with the Wally World one or the Costal Cutlery one, then. If I had to get just one, I'd go with the Wally World one. The price (again, batteries included) and versatility is making this a "go to" headlamp.

I am trying to get away from non-standard batteries for my longer hikes now myself. YMMV.
    Last edited by Mags; 10-16-2009 at 20:23.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I've been using a Princeton Tec Aurora for years. By coincidence my hunting buddy ended up with the same one - I noticed the other day. It is fairly light and is comfortable to wear, usually just wear it around my neck, instead of on my head. I change batteries in it maybe twice a year. It's simple and doesn't seem to get turned on in my pack by accident the way that my Energizer (Wal-Mart) light always seemed to. The Wal-Mart light was good, but I always seemed to be replacing the batteries in it, since the switch got "bumped on" so often.

Images

I have a super light weight one (can't remember the name) BUT it uses a wafer, camera type battery. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. Batteries are too hard to find.
    I replaced it with a petzal that uses AAA batteries. Every town will have AAAs.

A headlamp with dead batteries is just dead weight.

FWIW, I have a LED caribiner thing that someone gave me, from the Dollar Store and an Indiglo watch. Both are perfect for late night nature calls.

DoughNut

Although the Petzl e+lite does take special batteries, it's not a terribly uncommon button-type battery. For long distance hikers, buy a number of these online at substantial discount, they have a long shelf life. Send yourself a new pair in the mail periodically or bounce 'em. A spare set of batteries is quite light to carry.

I second the motion on ditching the case, it lasts fine without the case. Not super bright, not optimal for night hiking, but plenty good enough for normal use, and for me at least, the red light option is great either for preserving night vision or for being less disturbing to anyone you might be sleeping near.

Registered User hikingfieldguide's Avatar
    Images

I have the princeton tec fuel which I really like. Budget wise it was nice. It has 3 bright settings and also a flashing one. The only thing I don't like is, I wish it had a red light option on it. I tend to have to put my hand on it or I blind people when I look at them. Other than that I love it thus far.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Seen it in Target branded as EDDIE BAUER, and it has been spotted in Lowe's as COAST CUTLERY. Probably another made-in-China wonder that is branded differently for different companies.
    No kidding. I bought an Elgin watch, which used to be made near me in Elgin, Illinois but the instructions inside read: "Thank-you for purchasing a Chanel watch, made by the finest quality craftsmen." Same watch, wrong instructions!
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    Although the Petzl e+lite does take special batteries, it's not a terribly uncommon button-type battery. For long distance hikers, buy a number of these online at substantial discount, they have a long shelf life. Send yourself a new pair in the mail periodically or bounce 'em. A spare set of batteries is quite light to carry.

I second the motion on ditching the case, it lasts fine without the case. Not super bright, not optimal for night hiking, but plenty good enough for normal use, and for me at least, the red light option is great either for preserving night vision or for being less disturbing to anyone you might be sleeping near.

I agree with everything above (except I use the case - keeps the strap from getting tangled in things and protects the light).

The batteries are VERY light weight, have a long shelf life, not terribly hard to find, and last a long time. I've been using the original set for about 4 years and just replaced them on my last trip.

Petzl e+Lite is a good little light, and weighs next to nothing. Sturdier than your first impression indicates.

Garlic
    Images

Depends on the hike. For the AT, any LED lamp should do, even the single-lamp button style that clips on to the bill of a cap. Even if you have to hike at night occasionally, the AT is so well-blazed and the tread is almost always apparent--if you can see your feet, you're good.

But if you're planning on doing any night-time travel on lesser trails and might need to actually navigate and find faint intersections and such, you might consider a more expensive model with a halogen option. Or a separate light for those trips.

I use an old Petzl three-LED model, 1 or 2 oz. with strap, hardly ever use it, and change batteries every three years whether it needs it or not. I don't carry spare batteries with me, needless to say. I was considering a late SOBO AT hike last year, and would have replaced it with a better light because I would have been doing a lot of night hiking.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Just got the new princeton tech fuel and used it this past week - like it very much. Lighter weight and more compact than the Aurora which I used for years.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

i use petzel's zipka plus. light, uses AAA batteries, and has interchangeable lenses so i can have neato colors like red and blue and green (which help with night vision). no regrets
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Talking about the e+lite, Lyle said:
    "I agree with everything above (except I use the case - keeps the strap from getting tangled in things and protects the light)."

I put it in a snack-sized ziplock bag, a pretty fast and lightweight way to prevent the tangling problem. Tossed it in with various other small and more frequently used items and had no problems over months of hiking that way in 2008. I'll do the same on the AT next year using the same e+lite. The little case is kind of neat-o looking, but for me at least, a minor amount of weight I can save. And I think a little ziplock is faster to put it in or take it out of anyway.

Princeton Tec EOS - the best of the under $40 headlamps.
    http://www.brightguy.com/products/Pr...dlamp_EOSR.php

Streamlight Enduro - the best of the under $20 headlamps
    http://www.brightguy.com/products/St...lamp_61400.php

Get them both from Brightguy.com

See..so many different answers. And none of them are the "best".

It's just a headlamp. Any LED light should be fine (assuming it is a basic model). We are talking a 1.5 ounce weight difference on average AT THE MOST... Go with what is in your budget and meets your criteria.

On WB, this gear discussions can go on for pages. In reality? Gear (while important) is the least important part of a thru-hike..or backpacking in general.

Good luck..and have fun!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Two years ago I bought a Petzl tikka plus. It uses 1 standard AAA battery and has all the features (high beam, low beam, and flash). Unfortunately I got the opportunity to hike with it on Friday in total darkness and it worked great. 4 LED lights and an extreamly powerful beam. Don't know the weight, but I doubt it is over a couple ounces.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

I don't use a headlamp per se. I have a couple of decent LED flashlights (3-AAA) that I carry. These fit into a headband flashlight holder that converts them into a headlamp when needed. Saves carrying a flashlight plus a headlamp.

The flashlights are: Princeton TEC Attitude (4AAA, 3-LED) and Princeton TEC Impact II lights, and am pleased with their performance. These fit into a NiteIze mini-flashlight headband for headlamp operation.

NiteIze flashlight headband @ Campmor ($4.99):
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80393

See this thread for more headlamp advice info:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20538
    Faarside aka WhiteHorse

"... The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep... Miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++